2023 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Bottom of the 1st round is high?  Addison is probably the 2nd best route runner after Jaxon and has elite level quickness which has shown to be very need.  If he is there and the Vikings pass on him it would be foolish.  

Sure Vikings could wait till the 3rd to get a WR but then what do they address.  ILB possibly.  

No bottom of the first round is in reality where I see him going. It wouldn’t even shock me at the end of the day if JSN is the only round 1 WR. Probably won’t happy just because of receiver contracts teams like that 5th year option approach at that position also. I just think there’s better talent elsewhere. 

Honestly ILB is probably the position I would love to fill the most but I don’t see Drew Sanders as a R1 guy either. 

CB is always an option, along with maybe one of these edge guys if we do find something for ZSmith. Something with him also makes me wonder if trading him is hard, would he be able to pass a physical?

BPA at 23 or trade down are still my favorite options.

19 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

No bottom of the first round is in reality where I see him going. It wouldn’t even shock me at the end of the day if JSN is the only round 1 WR. Probably won’t happy just because of receiver contracts teams like that 5th year option approach at that position also. I just think there’s better talent elsewhere. 

Honestly ILB is probably the position I would love to fill the most but I don’t see Drew Sanders as a R1 guy either. 

CB is always an option, along with maybe one of these edge guys if we do find something for ZSmith. Something with him also makes me wonder if trading him is hard, would he be able to pass a physical?

BPA at 23 or trade down are still my favorite options.

Then who is the 1st round guy at ILB, Jack Campbell I would say but so many around here hate on that guy.  

Trading down to get two picks in the 2nd I would love but not sure anyone does that.  

Addison in the NFL of today is going to be hell to cover and if the Vikings do not address the WR spot they could have some issue.  Not sure Osborn is a true #1, but does help with the two TE set then really the #2 WR is Hockenson then which does help.  Getting a WR 3rd round I am game for and of course CB no question.

Antonio Johnson could be the guy in terms of CB, he could play slot, he could play safety or he could play out wide.  Is a good tackler as well but they already have a guy similar to him in Evans, Johnson is better in the slot than him though but Evans has more experience as a outside corner and is probably better at that than Johnson.

Either way WR should be address 1st or 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Then who is the 1st round guy at ILB, Jack Campbell I would say but so many around here hate on that guy.  

I honestly just don’t think there is one. Sanders and Campbell are honestly my top two. Would I be mad if we would take Sanders at 23 absolutely not. But I do think it’s a bit of a reach and would love to trade down. Even if it’s staying in the first round and maybe picking up a 3rd, which would still be a lot to ask for I believe. 

WR I really do think could be one of those positions I just don’t see a ton of separation from some of these guys, outside of JSN, from the 2nd and 3rd round guys. 

Cedrick Tillman, Tank Dell, Josh Downs, Jaylin Hyatt, & Rashee Rice all can be guys that can enter and make an impact day 1. 

Xavier Hutchinson, Marvin Mim, Tyler Scott, & Jayden Reed all have spots in the NFL.

There are even more.

The WR’s in this draft might not be a bunch of super high impact players but there is a ton of could be future #2’s and gadgets. 

One reason I do like the CB pick at 23 is because the top end is to me at another level. The class is deep, but the top 5 guys I think will come out and be good. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

First time I have ever heard this Braun. And after the 1st 5 mins, it will be my last. To worry so much about age ( 25 ) is just a joke. Then compare Hooker to different position players and their age is even a bigger joke. Then, bring up Nance ( by the way, SF gave up 3 1st round picks and now is being discussed in trade rumors) Dude has no clue what’s so ever.

Worried about what he will do!! Isn’t 6000 yards with a 58-5 TD/INT ratio enough over 2 years.I guess playing in the SEC is easy too. 

31 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

First time I have ever heard this Braun. And after the 1st 5 mins, it will be my last. To worry so much about age ( 25 ) is just a joke. Then compare Hooker to different position players and their age is even a bigger joke. Then, bring up Nance ( by the way, SF gave up 3 1st round picks and now is being discussed in trade rumors) Dude has no clue what’s so ever.

Worried about what he will do!! Isn’t 6000 yards with a 58-5 TD/INT ratio enough over 2 years.I guess playing in the SEC is easy too. 

He played in a gimmicky offense, is old, and is coming off of a serious knee injury.  Those are all valid concerns that you just say are a joke. Lots of guys put up great college stats and turned out to be nothing as pros, so you’ll have to forgive me if gimmicky bulk stats don’t really move the needle.

Luke Braun is one of the best Vikings content guys out there. Someone disagrees with you about a player so you write them off entirely?

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He played in a gimmicky offense, is old, and is coming off of a serious knee injury.  Those are all valid concerns that you just say are a joke. Lots of guys put up great college stats and turned out to be nothing as pros, so you’ll have to forgive me if gimmicky bulk stats don’t really move the needle.

Luke Braun is one of the best Vikings content guys out there. Someone disagrees with you about a player so you write them off entirely?

And I disagree with a lot you say. Age is no factor to me. Arron Rodgers started when he was 25. Joe Burrows turned 24 in the middle of his rookie season. We game our current QB his 1st contract at 30. Hooker can’t be blamed for the offense he runs, but let’s face, with those stats, I would run it all day. What you have to see is his accuracy. ( key to all QB I like ) And as for major injury, Brady tore his ACL and MCL in 2016 and still went on to win 3 SB’s. Not a major issue.

again, I just don’t like when players are not give credit for what they accomplished. And I really can stand when people over hype players that are skill at something that has nothing to do with position. The QB position always take the biggest hit. Just wish people would look at what makes good QB’s. 

7 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

And I disagree with a lot you say. Age is no factor to me. Arron Rodgers started when he was 25. Joe Burrows turned 24 in the middle of his rookie season. We game our current QB his 1st contract at 30. Hooker can’t be blamed for the offense he runs, but let’s face, with those stats, I would run it all day. What you have to see is his accuracy. ( key to all QB I like ) And as for major injury, Brady tore his ACL and MCL in 2016 and still went on to win 3 SB’s. Not a major issue.

again, I just don’t like when players are not give credit for what they accomplished. And I really can stand when people over hype players that are skill at something that has nothing to do with position. The QB position always take the biggest hit. Just wish people would look at what makes good QB’s. 

He was a great college QB - he might be a great pro! There is a TON of risk, and if you can’t acknowledge that there’s no point in continuing the conversation.

theres a difference between completion percentage and accuracy. He was throwing into wide open windows against guys that he’s 5 years older than in an offense he will never run in the pros. 

I’m a fan of his and I hope he succeeds, he’s just not a good project for the Vikings to take on.

• Like 1

At the cost of a first round pick, he'd be an expensive Hooker, but I don't know if he'd ever be a high end Hooker. In the second round, he'd still be a spendy Hooker, but getting a little closer to catching the Vikings' eye. As a third round pick, I think he'd be a reasonably priced Hooker for Kwesi, but there's still a bit of a risk of the team getting caught with its pants down. Kind of like with Mond. Anywhere thereafter, he's practically giving it away. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

At the cost of a first round pick, he'd be an expensive Hooker, but I don't know if he'd ever be a high end Hooker. In the second round, he'd still be a spendy Hooker, but getting a little closer to catching the Vikings' eye. As a third round pick, I think he'd be a reasonably priced Hooker for Kwesi, but there's still a bit of a risk of the team getting caught with its pants down. Kind of like with Mond. Anywhere thereafter, he's practically giving it away. 

Can he turn trick plays?

• Like 6

back to Will Levis...

anyone have a problem with his... well, his... entitled... background? from a wealthy east coast family, a lot of Yale grads, educated in finance, his girlfriend has a "career" as a TikTok influencer and likes to post pics of how cute she is....

how well is that going to mesh with athletes who struggled in poverty, growing up...?

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

back to Will Levis...

anyone have a problem with his... well, his... entitled... background? from a wealthy east coast family, a lot of Yale grads, educated in finance, his girlfriend has a "career" as a TikTok influencer and likes to post pics of how cute she is....

how well is that going to mesh with athletes who struggled in poverty, growing up...?

Well, that appears to be mainly his mother's side.  His dad went to a school that also produced Jennifer Garner, Steve Carell and Hal Holbrook.  Hell, Woody Hayes went to that school.  🤣 He also spent the last 2 years in Kentucky, so you'd probably want to ask his teammates how he relates to them.  I personally don't know enough about him at this point.  I know others have said that he gives off some conceit, but I'd have to actually listen to him myself to come to my own judgment.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

back to Will Levis...

I'm more concerned about him being scared of milk.  Was that a real thing that he said?

• Like 1