2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Honestly I think I would rather go after Lamar Jackson somehow and give him the big contract rather than drafting Hooker in the 1st round (at 23)

What I wouldn’t mind is trading back and picking up Jalin Hyatt to pair with him. but this also would be very hard to improve the defense doing this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

In a college spread offense playing against guys that he's 3-5 years older then. He should be that much better when he's so much more physically mature. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB, I'm saying it's not a smart risk for the Vikings to take when they'd be wasting at least one year of an already older rookie's contract.

Kirk came out at the age of 24. wasn’t the starter until he was 27.

Arron Rodgers was draft at the age of 22 and didn’t take a snap until he was 25.. I have no problem taking a QB and leaving for a solid year.

6 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Kirk came out at the age of 24. wasn’t the starter until he was 27.

Arron Rodgers was draft at the age of 22 and didn’t take a snap until he was 25.. I have no problem taking a QB and leaving for a solid year.

Again, you're speaking about exceptions to the general rule.  Rodgers' salary at the time he was drafted was $1.5M per year for a full 5 yrs (there was no 5th yr option at the time) and he was a luxury pick having been a top-5 talent that fell to them.  I'd have no problem if Hooker was a top-5 talent or if they took him in the 3rd or 4th rd.  But, he's not a top-5 talent and his talent and age are not worth taking in the first round at all with his limited upside.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Again, you're speaking about exceptions to the general rule.  Rodgers' salary at the time he was drafted was $1.5M per year for a full 5 yrs (there was no 5th yr option at the time) and he was a luxury pick having been a top-5 talent that fell to them.  I'd have no problem if Hooker was a top-5 talent or if they took him in the 3rd or 4th rd.  But, he's not a top-5 talent and his talent and age are not worth taking in the first round at all with his limited upside.

You do now that Bucky Brooks has him as is 3rd best QB? Brooks does this for a living you know.

and I did say, I would like trade back near the end of round 1 or early round 2.

and again with this upside. If he gives me what he does now, that would be great.

By the way, Brooks doesn’t even have Richardson in his top 5. But, he is a top 5 pick because of “UDSIDE”.  You take that chance and you will be ask the same question that SF is asking. 3 first’s for this????

13 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

You do now that Bucky Brooks has him as is 3rd best QB? Brooks does this for a living you know.

and I did say, I would like trade back near the end of round 1 or early round 2.

and again with this upside. If he gives me what he does now, that would be great.

By the way, Brooks doesn’t even have Richardson in his top 5. But, he is a top 5 pick because of “UDSIDE”.  You take that chance and you will be ask the same question that SF is asking. 3 first’s for this????

There's scouting and there's actual drafting by GMs.  Scouts evaluate players, GMs actually have to make the picks.  Brooks and Jeremiah have scouting backgrounds, not GM ones.  It's good to have a scouting background to use in a GM role, but it's bigger than that. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

There's scouting and there's actual drafting by GMs.  Scouts evaluate players, GMs actually have to make the picks.  Brooks and Jeremiah have scouting backgrounds, not GM ones. 

To be fair Kwesi seems like a guy that would like a cheap QB contract to build a team.