2023 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly I think I would rather go after Lamar Jackson somehow and give him the big contract rather than drafting Hooker in the 1st round (at 23)

What I wouldn’t mind is trading back and picking up Jalin Hyatt to pair with him. but this also would be very hard to improve the defense doing this. 

Good Lord NO!  

As much as I enjoy watching Lamar, I'm glad he's in Ravens' purple.   If anyone thinks Kirk is unreasonable with his guaranteed contract requirements . . . He's nothing compared to Lamar's drama.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Good Lord NO!  

As much as I enjoy watching Lamar, I'm glad he's in Ravens' purple.   If anyone thinks Kirk is unreasonable with his guaranteed contract requirements . . . He's nothing compared to Lamar's drama.  

To be fair, now he is saying he doesn’t want it all guaranteed.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be fair, now he is saying he doesn’t want it all guaranteed.

Oh I heard that, and still, why would a GM sign up to be held hostage to a single player who's showing a more prevelant "me first" attitude?

If a team is going to balance resources, and maximize return on investment, you can't have a $50M / year guy just yet.   In 3 years when the budget bounces to $250+ M, maybe.   By then, we'll have JJ at $35M/yr with a bunch of rookie deal WRs. . . . With a rookie deal QB slinging it to them who's playing behind an offensive line that'the s taken every snap together for those years.   

46 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Oh I heard that, and still, why would a GM sign up to be held hostage to a single player who's showing a more prevelant "me first" attitude?

If a team is going to balance resources, and maximize return on investment, you can't have a $50M / year guy just yet.   In 3 years when the budget bounces to $250+ M, maybe.   By then, we'll have JJ at $35M/yr with a bunch of rookie deal WRs. . . . With a rookie deal QB slinging it to them who's playing behind an offensive line that'the s taken every snap together for those years.   

I don't want Lamar simply because the Vikings couldn't give him a contract that he'd be worth.  However, if money wasn't an object, I would take Lamar 10 times out of 10.

He is a better QB than DeSean Watson...not even close.  He is worth more to any franchise than their current QBs, with the exception  of KC and LAC.  

13 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't want Lamar simply because the Vikings couldn't give him a contract that he'd be worth.  However, if money wasn't an object, I would take Lamar 10 times out of 10.

He is a better QB than DeSean Watson...not even close.  He is worth more to any franchise than their current QBs, with the exception  of KC and LAC.  

In Jackson's MVP year, he accounted force 4,400 yards of Baltimore offense, running and passing combined.  Before him there was Mike Vick and before him, Randall Cunningham.  . . And of course tge godfather of running QBs, Sir Francis.  Of the running QBs, throughout NFL history, Fran was probably the best thrower and he didn't run for yards as option #1 very often.  

IN GENERAL, the best QBs in NFL history are throwers first who also have the ability to run enough.  So, Rodgers, Favre, Mahomes, Montana, and Elway are guys like that.  

By the way, Cousins has thrown for more than 4,400 yards twice and has a whole lot more production than Lamar . . . So, flashy pants don't mean the guy's the best QB in the league.   Why do you think Cam's out already?  

23 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

In Jackson's MVP year, he accounted force 4,400 yards of Baltimore offense, running and passing combined.  Before him there was Mike Vick and before him, Randall Cunningham.  . . And of course tge godfather of running QBs, Sir Francis.  Of the running QBs, throughout NFL history, Fran was probably the best thrower and he didn't run for yards as option #1 very often.  

IN GENERAL, the best QBs in NFL history are throwers first who also have the ability to run enough.  So, Rodgers, Favre, Mahomes, Montana, and Elway are guys like that.  

By the way, Cousins has thrown for more than 4,400 yards twice and has a whole lot more production than Lamar . . . So, flashy pants don't mean the guy's the best QB in the league.   Why do you think Cam's out already?  

Was there a point in this post? I'm not sure I understand what all of these things have to do with each other?

5 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

You do know that Kirk Cousins 1st year in Minnesota, he was 30 years old…

you do know that Kirk Cousins was also coming off of 3 consecutive 4k yard passing seasons

On 3/20/2023 at 10:06 AM, gopherwrestler said:

Oh yes. And like most people were mad we didn’t take a different LB in the draft. Also plenty of people that still wanted Laurence Maroney to pair up with Chester Taylor. 

How much different would have the franchise looked like if we drafted Maroney and then instead of AP we selected Patrick Willis the following year?

I wanted them to trade up for VY but staying put I did want Maroney instead of Greenway. I was never sold on Chester Taylor though he played a lot better than I thought. 

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Was there a point in this post? I'm not sure I understand what all of these things have to do with each other?

I was responding to Captain's post . . . And I makes lots of points🤣  First, I understand Lamar's gotta try getting his while he's a hot ticket.

2nd, he's not worth what he's asking for.

3rd, QB is about throwing . . . The historical precedent is set.   For example, Andrew Luck, Big Ben, Rodgers, Mahomes and Hebert can all run, but they throw first.  They think about throwing first and they win by throwing.  Lamar's a resurgence of a passing fad.

The Vikings have lost two big games due to QB runs . . . Steve Young and Mike Vick.   I don't call Young a running QB.  

Terrell Smith DB of the Gophers will be in for a top 30 visit on April 11th per Darren Wolfson via Twitter.

Seems weird how quiet top 30 visit get announced. Seemed like visits were so easy to keep track of from the shrine bowl all the way up to the top 30 visit. Haven’t really heard much.