Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu vs Darrelle Revis

Kiwibrown

Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu vs Darrelle Revis   

72 members have voted

1. 1. who do you have?

2. 2. 2nd choice

3. 3. 3rd choice

X is somewhere wondering why you didn't include him?

Anyways, Revis was great but he didn't revolutionize the CB position like Reed and Troy did at safety. 

X, Reed and Troy have always been so close that neither choice is the right or wrong answer IMO. In the end it comes down to preference.

1a/b) Reed-Troy

C) Revis

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

X, Reed and Troy have always been so close that neither choice is the right or wrong answer IMO. In the end it comes down to preference.

Disagree here. Dawkins was a phenomenal player but wasn’t what Reed was as a player. 

As for the thread, it’s an easy choice IMO. Reed, Revis, Troy. Revis had a highly coveted skill set in today’s league, but his prime wasn’t sustained all that long. Troy, as amazing as he was, would be a bit of an odd fit in today’s league. He was an elite football player so I’m sure a semi-decent coach would find the right role for him, but Troy’s versatility in the 2000s definitely wouldn’t quite be there in 2022, so you’d be pigeonholing him into being a box guy. 

Ed would be the smartest guy on the defense and one of the best athletes on the field. Truly was one of a kind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Disagree here. Dawkins was a phenomenal player but wasn’t what Reed was as a player. 

We'll have to agree to disagree here and save it for another thread.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

As for the thread, it’s an easy choice IMO. Reed, Revis, Troy. Revis had a highly coveted skill set in today’s league, but his prime wasn’t sustained all that long. Troy, as amazing as he was, would be a bit of an odd fit in today’s league. He was an elite football player so I’m sure a semi-decent coach would find the right role for him, but Troy’s versatility in the 2000s definitely wouldn’t quite be there in 2022, so you’d be pigeonholing him into being a box guy. 

Ed would be the smartest guy on the defense and one of the best athletes on the field. Truly was one of a kind.

Troy's versatility would be invaluable considering how many defenses use the nickel/dime to combat spread offenses now and often use a safety in place of a corner in nickel/dime/quarter sets. His skill set would be perfect for modern times. If anything, Reed as a box safety would make him less valuable IMO.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Troy's versatility would be invaluable considering how many defenses use the nickel/dime to combat spread offenses now and often use a safety in place of a corner in nickel/dime/quarter sets. His skill set would be perfect for modern times. If anything, Reed as a box safety would make him less valuable IMO.

The thing is, I’m not sure how much versatility Troy has in today’s league. I don’t see him being an extremely effective coverage safety, he’d be relegated to a box-safety kind of role. Being the safety-LBer tweener is still useful, but it’s letting Troy play to his strengths. I think if Polanski isn’t playing in a creative zone-blitz defense, his value is diminished. 

As opposed to Ed Reed, whose ability as a single-high with the versatility to play around in other facets, would be valuable everywhere. His greatest strength can be used in any defense, unlike Troy’s.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

The thing is, I’m not sure how much versatility Troy has in today’s league. I don’t see him being an extremely effective coverage safety, he’d be relegated to a box-safety kind of role. Being the safety-LBer tweener is still useful, but it’s letting Troy play to his strengths. I think if Polanski isn’t playing in a creative zone-blitz defense, his value is diminished. 

As opposed to Ed Reed, whose ability as a single-high with the versatility to play around in other facets, would be valuable everywhere. His greatest strength can be used in any defense, unlike Troy’s.

Troy wasn't just a safety. He lined up at both safety spots and nickel in man coverage AND blitz from it.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Troy wasn't just a safety. He lined up at both safety spots and nickel in man coverage AND blitz from it.

Yes…in the 2000s. 

In today’s league, I don’t think he’d be a guy you want playing in a more traditional safety role. Meaning he’d be relegated to that “big safety” position, playing close to the LOS, preferably in a zone heavy scheme. That cuts his versatility compared to a guy like Reed, whose strength fits into any defense he plays in. 

If your position is that Troy would be able to play nickel and safety in today’s league at the level he did in 04-11, then we disagree on how his ability would translate. 

I am of course bias, but there's not a lot of players I'm taking over Ed Reed in any secondary in any era. His ability to not only generate turnovers (probably the best to ever do that) but score off of them is unparalleled.

Troy Polamalu was a great player, and Revis was a great shutdown corner, but Ed Reed was the GOAT at this position.

• Like 2

Reed and it's not close..   JFC I hated him. he destroyed my Bengals.

Troy was a really good player too, but not on the level of Ed... 

Revis was awesome, but not sure why he is in a conversation with two safeties. 

Reed

Revis

Troy

• Like 1

In his prime, I'd take Revis over any DB. What he did in '09 was objectively foolish (Woodson winning DPOY will forever be mind-boggling).

His prime was short lived, so based on body of work, Reed seems like the obvious choice.

1. Reed. Sneaky SOB with instincts that were unmatched. The one defender the GOAT seemed truly scared of throwing to.

2. Revis. Best CB in the league during his peak. The epitome of a 'SHUTDOWN' corner, allowed his defenses to do so much because of it.

3. Troy. Intimidating safety, top 3 during his time but never consensus #1. Good in run game but vulnerable against the pass (at least against top QBs).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BillSabre said:

Honest question…… why is Revis in the conversation? 

To throw people off? Curve ball? Monkey wrench?

Think the pretty easy answer if any other Safety including Dawk was included instead of Revis. The majority take Ed Reed in a lopsided poll. Throw in Prime Revis, a shut down CB.......people then start to question which player is more valuable, I'm assuming of course.