2023 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Holly cow, steroids? Or is the UMD defensive back coaching just that behind to not have these guys viewed as top options sooner in the process? That’s a whole lot of athleticism between the pair.

Are you watching the combine? If so, how do you think these guys look in drills?

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Are you watching the combine? If so, how do you think these guys look in drills?

I am, they all look pretty good. CB group is as advertised. 

There were some surprising testing numbers(like Ringo's jumps), but the field drills were strong across the board.

FqUqJP-XsAE94sK?format=jpg&name=900x900

21 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Gonzalez is such a smooth mover.

Yea, I don't think we sniff him at this point. Just too gifted at premium position to fall to us.

It also seems a bit more likely we hit WR early and let what's left of this deep CB crop fall to us in the 3rd.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Holly cow, steroids? Or is the UMD defensive back coaching just that behind to not have these guys viewed as top options sooner in the process? That’s a whole lot of athleticism between the pair.

The DMV outside of Florida and maybe Texas has some of the best athletic talent in the country and per capita it may even surpass those places. If you look at any top 100 football/basketball recruiting pages from the last two decades it’s littered with ridiculous talent from here at the very top. Most of the top dogs just tend to commit elsewhere so people tend to forget they’re from MD/VA/DC.

That leaves a lot of 3 star type guys (occasionally 4 star) who are ridiculously athletic in their own right who choose to go to MD, and we actually have a phenomenal new strength and performance center. 

It doesn’t surprise me at all that UMD guys keep testing like this (goes all the way back to guys like Vernon Davis, Derius Heyward Bey, etc). The problem is we’re in a division (not conference - division) with Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan St so on a “good” yeah we’re a 7-5 type football team that usually has a bunch of bad blowout losses which lends itself to scouts skimming over the guys we have early in the process because no one watches the 40-0 OSU/Maryland game deep into the 2nd half when these guys actually show some stuff 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

👍

This is legit the only reason I sort of want the Ravens to draft Addison, I love his story and I’d love to nab an area dude.

Plus he plays with heart, this guy isn’t big, but his passion as a blocker really impressed me while watching his tape.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:36 PM, diamondbull424 said:

7. Jordan Addison
- Has the obvious quickness and route running that you like to see. I’m not sure either trait is at the elite level, seems just below. Speed is also good, but not great. Very much a jack of all trades, but master of none type… yet he’s also on the smaller side of the isle as well. I see a very savvy player that has a high floor, but lower ceiling at the next level.
- Pro Comparison:
Calvin Ridley

I’m legit not sure of the connection with Calvin Ridley, he mentions that he’s “biased” in his love for him, but yeah, these guys look very similar as players so he definitely did an excellent job patterning his game after him.

Looking at all the interviews, I do really love the confidence and focus. I also think the grit as a blocker was something that caught me off guard on his tape. That grit shows up in his interviews as well IMO. His interviews definitely make me a little higher on him than before.

Completely different interview. JSN doesn’t have the same level of confidence as Addison, I don’t see a guy that’s going to be the alpha within the receiver room as Addison looks like he could possibly be.

Though I get more of a team and QB friendly guy who is going to get along well and be well liked.

While it’s not tape, I like to hear these guys talk because conversely, a guy like Boutte doesn’t feel as detailed in his responses- typical football answers. After watching his interview I’ve come away lower on him within the tier I have him in.

• Like 1

Not watching the combine, but peaked in… and boy have the WR prospects really hurt themselves. So many 170 lbs WRs that run 4.4s and have small catch radiuses.

Conversely the CBs really put on. This has the look of a draft where we will have our pick of the litter with these WRs.

Granted so far I’m not particularly surprised with any of these times. Addison looked like a 4.45-4.5 type guy (though I thought he’d be at least 180 lbs.)

I thought Rakim Jarrett was a high 4.3 guy on tape, but low 4.4 with a great 10 yard split also makes plenty of sense.

The only surprise so far for me was Jalin Hyatt, I thought he’d be a low 4.3 guy and so a 4.41 is a big difference from where I thought he’d be. But Torrey Smith similarly only ran low 4.4s and was a terror of a deep threat.

JSN is probably the biggest beneficiary of all these WR times, if he comes into his pro day and runs a 4.5-4.55 type of speed, now you stack that against what else we’ve seen and you can convince yourself to take him perhaps top 20.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

At this point if one of the top 4 CBs falls to us I feel like we have to take them and lock in a legit CB duo for the next 5 years.

I get most casual fans would be in an uproar but it’s way harder to find competent CBs than competent WRs in FA. And with Monken I actually think we’ll get good production out of Bateman/Duvernay this year.

Everyone always discusses how the game evolving to a “passing league” necessitates the Ravens to get much better at WR, but that applies to CB too. In this day and age if you have a weak starting corner he’s going to get absolutely abused all game long. We’ve seen that with guys like Stephens the past year. I feel like we could possibly get by with a 3rd round WR producing for us along Bateman/Duvernay/Andrews/Likely and our RBs. I do not see us getting by with a 3rd round CB or Brandon Stephens starting at CB across from Humphrey. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

At this point if one of the top 4 CBs falls to us I feel like we have to take them and lock in a legit CB duo for the next 5 years.

I get most casual fans would be in an uproar but it’s way harder to find competent CBs than competent WRs in FA. And with Monken I actually think we’ll get good production out of Bateman/Duvernay this year.

Everyone always discusses how the game evolving to a “passing league” necessitates the Ravens to get much better at WR, but that applies to CB too. In this day and age if you have a weak starting corner he’s going to get absolutely abused all game long. We’ve seen that with guys like Stephens the past year. I feel like we could possibly get by with a 3rd round WR producing for us along Bateman/Duvernay/Andrews/Likely and our RBs. I do not see us getting by with a 3rd round CB or Brandon Stephens starting at CB across from Humphrey. 

Who are the 4 CBs you’re referring to? Idk who the top names are from the media standpoint. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen from Christian Gonzalez who I think is built different. I also find Kelee Ringo quite intriguing. I’ve watched some tape on Witherspoon and Porter. I remember liking the way Witherspoon played and his athleticism, but idk how he tested.

The latter two, I’m not sure I think separate themselves from the pack enough that I wouldn’t rather just take whoever we have as our #1 WR prospect, personally.

Though if we end up trading Patrick Queen for a 2nd round pick, that would make for a good spot to go corner. A guy like DJ Turner or Forbes, who has some Marcus Peters to him, would make a lot of sense as well.

So weak for Quentin Johnston to not compete in ANYTHING at the combine. At least JSN had a legit reason. I can see if you’re a top 5-10 guaranteed pick you don’t run because you don’t have anywhere to go but down, but Johnston isn’t even a guaranteed 1st round pick. Yet every other WR prospect competed and he’s the only one that didn't. Very weak IMO.

58 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Who are the 4 CBs you’re referring to? Idk who the top names are from the media standpoint. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen from Christian Gonzalez who I think is built different. I also find Kelee Ringo quite intriguing. I’ve watched some tape on Witherspoon and Porter. I remember liking the way Witherspoon played and his athleticism, but idk how he tested.

The latter two, I’m not sure I think separate themselves from the pack enough that I wouldn’t rather just take whoever we have as our #1 WR prospect, personally.

Though if we end up trading Patrick Queen for a 2nd round pick, that would make for a good spot to go corner. A guy like DJ Turner or Forbes, who has some Marcus Peters to him, would make a lot of sense as well.

I have the top four as Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter Jr, and Cam Smith.

I would be surprised if a WR isn’t taken before our pick so id doubt we’d get the pick of the litter and prob be picking WR #2-3, and any of those guys above are >> the #2-3 WR to me pretty easily, and probably the #1 WR as well