The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Have we been linked to Hooker at all? It seems like we've been linked to basically everyone else, I don't think we had anyone at his pro day.

Raiders didn't pick anybody on there top 30 visits last year I don't think it matters. It's just perfect situation for him Raiders QB coach played at Tennessee too. 

Edited by raidr4life

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Looking through this class, we need at least 1 edge, 1 DT, 1 corner, 2 linebackers, and a couple of OL and a tight end. I know BPA and all, but if we don't do that, we really aren't using draft resources well. That's like 8-9 players. We need to trade up with some of those late rounders IMHO.

Like if someone like Dalton Kincaid slides, you trade a 4th to move up to get him and make up for that 4th by packaging later picks. 

I don't know much about Kincaid  but I assume you're implying we take hi in the 2nd round.  TE is not as impactful a position as Edge rusher or CB which are both major needs for us.  I would only advocate trading up in the 2nd if a top prospect at one of those two positions slide.  Coming out of the first two rounds with a combo of edges LVN, N. Smith, D. Hall and CB's Porter, Gonzalez would be ideal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't doubt it. But i'd rather have 8 rookies than 13 LOL.

There’s no way we can just draft players with our 12 picks.  We absolutely have to be incredibly active with trades, moving up and down the draft board to target players we want.

Honestly, I think this draft makes or breaks Zeigler.  Either he pulls it off masterfully or outright fails, I don’t expect anything between.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

In this game he had a forced fumble, pick, and a ton of tackles behind the line.

It's the opposite for me. I saw him play first, then saw that his measurables are garbage. But almost didn't care because the play on the field is so good.

I almost never see corners that play the ball like this guy and have such a good knack for turnovers. If he was a few inches taller and a little faster he'd be in the conversation with Witherspoon/Gonzalez.

I love CP3. Been following him since he was so highly regarded going to Utah. He doesn’t have a flaw in the technical aspects of his game. Smooth mover, sticky and has unreal instincts in the ball.

Given the Shelley pickup - it might be that we’re not as spooked by his size. Wonder where he ends up. If he’s there in the 3rd - I’d be all over it.

• Like 1

I’m against drafting a TE early.  I’m all for using a 5th or later on a guy to be our TE3 and develop, although there’s only a couple of guys I’m keen on who are suppose to be in that range.

Kincaid is a nice receiving TE but boy oh boy he’s absolutely trash as a blocker.  It’s bad as it gets.

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I love CP3. Been following him since he was so highly regarded going to Utah. He doesn’t have a flaw in the technical aspects of his game. Smooth mover, sticky and has unreal instincts in the ball.

Given the Shelley pickup - it might be that we’re not as spooked by his size. Wonder where he ends up. If he’s there in the 3rd - I’d be all over it.

In the 3rd round you’d have to be nuts not to take Clark Phillips, the question is do you spend a high second like #38 on him.  There’s a big difference between picking Phillips at 38, over so many other CBs as well as other positions, and   Taking him at 70.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'm excited for Matthew Butler as well. I think the DT group is decent. Would love Carter to fall and take the group from average to above average but don't see the need to force a pick. 

Edge, CB, LB are bigger needs in my eyes.  

Edge and CB are super strong in this draft. LB is tough. I won't be mad if we draft 2. The mid round guys with good RAS have been the ones who have hit in recent years. We need to get in on that trend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't know much about Kincaid  but I assume you're implying we take hi in the 2nd round.  TE is not as impactful a position as Edge rusher or CB which are both major needs for us.  I would only advocate trading up in the 2nd if a top prospect at one of those two positions slide.  Coming out of the first two rounds with a combo of edges LVN, N. Smith, D. Hall and CB's Porter, Gonzalez would be ideal. 

Kincaid and the Georgia tight end are future stars to me IMHO. The Georgia tight end blocks like an OL too so he would be a monster improvement in the run game.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

In the 3rd round you’d have to be nuts not to take Clark Phillips, the question is do you spend a high second like #38 on him.  There’s a big difference between picking Phillips at 38, over so many other CBs as well as other positions, and   Taking him at 70.

There are a lot of CB's that are good in this draft. The thing that separates phillips to me is his ability to create turnovers himself, not the ones that fall into your lap. It's a first round skill.

40 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Raiders didn't pick anybody on there top 30 visits last year I don't think it matters. It's just perfect situation for him Raiders QB coach played at Tennessee too. 

Some lists I saw has Munford as being a top 30 visitor, but that doesn’t change the idea of what you said one bit.  I wonder why that is.  I know that a lot of the visits were guys that weren’t day 1+2 picks but that makes sense because we didn’t have a pick til the 3rd.  Given the oddity of trading away the 1st and 2nd I think you can’t really use last year as a predictor of future actions by the FO because it’s a unique situation.  Now if the trend continues this year with all the picks we have there’s definitely something going on!

https://www.draftcountdown.com/2022-nfl-draft/visits/top-30-visit-tracker/

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

There are a lot of CB's that are good in this draft. The thing that separates phillips to me is his ability to create turnovers himself, not the ones that fall into your lap. It's a first round skill.

I haven’t had enough time (just had first child 6 weeks ago and then was hospitalized with sepsis after a surgery that lead to an organ being removed….. so I’m behind the ball here for the first time in years) to watched enough video on Phillips to have an definitive opinion as well as all the other highly ranked CBs to compare him to.  He always impressed me prior to the draft process though.  
Your right far more then your wrong, I give you that.  I like Phillips, I wouldn’t hate him at 38 but until draft day happens and we know who else is available there I’m reserving judgement.  Would I take him over Banks, Ringo or maybe Cam Smith who falls? NO!  
The good thing about Phillips is while he’s short he’s solid.  He’s not like Forbes whose tall and skinny.  I don’t see Phillips getting bullied.

The other thing is that top of the second is an interesting place to be drafting.  Players fall and there’s lots of other positions of need that have good prospects that might be there.