The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, massraider said:

Dude is 25, won't be healthy for TC after a knee injury, and played in a MIckey Mouse offense where he never read a defense. 

This dude has the best publicist ever. 

I don't dislike Hooker, I would be fairly neutral/optimistic if we took him in the 2nd round, but man is this guy getting a free pass from people, or am I nuts? 

It's funny, with  athletic QBs, everyone pretends they cannot read defenses, or it's gonna be a problem. What about this guy?? Here we have a QB who we know has not been running a pro offense, and hasn't had to make pro reads all year long, and he's not getting killed for it. So weird.

Your right… there are several major concerns With Hooker that are outright being ignored.

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Haener > Hooker …. Maybe DTR too 

I want nothing to do with Haener, UNLESS we’re talking rounds 5-7.  I just don’t see the point.  I don’t see him ever being a starting QB and I hate carrying 3 QBs.  If Jimmy G goes down I think you gotta have a veteran QB to try and hold things down.  

47 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m against drafting a TE early.  I’m all for using a 5th or later on a guy to be our TE3 and develop, although there’s only a couple of guys I’m keen on who are suppose to be in that range.

Kincaid is a nice receiving TE but boy oh boy he’s absolutely trash as a blocker.  It’s bad as it gets.

I love Zach Kuntz, don’t think he makes it that far though. 

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Kincaid and the Georgia tight end are future stars to me IMHO. The Georgia tight end blocks like an OL too so he would be a monster improvement in the run game.

I love Luke Musgrave too, I think all four of the top TEs (Mayer, Kincaid, Washington, Musgrave) have a chance to be really good. Washington has grown on me lately, because as you said having him is like a cheat code in the running game.

• Like 1

Hooker has been getting mocked in the 1st round, not just by clowns like Tannebaum. I just saw him go to MIN in an Athletic mock. The media hype is real, it's not just us. 

If you take Hooker first round, you are, most likely, betting your JOB on that guy. 2nd round for him is a different thing. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The majority of Hooker's first round hype is in this thread, lol

There been some Mocks but I still wouldn't touch him until 2nd at the earliest. But months ago people were saying they had Hooker as the 3rd or 4th best QB so it's not impossible.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, massraider said:

Hooker has been getting mocked in the 1st round, not just by clowns like Tannebaum. I just saw him go to MIN in an Athletic mock. The media hype is real, it's not just us. 

If you take Hooker first round, you are, most likely, betting your JOB on that guy. 2nd round for him is a different thing. 

If he goes in the first, Minnesota makes sense. The Athletic mocked it and DJ said there have been rumblings around the league about it. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Kincaid and the Georgia tight end are future stars to me IMHO. The Georgia tight end blocks like an OL too so he would be a monster improvement in the run game.

Give me Laporta

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I haven’t had enough time (just had first child 6 weeks ago and then was hospitalized with sepsis after a surgery that lead to an organ being removed….. so I’m behind the ball here for the first time in years) to watched enough video on Phillips to have an definitive opinion as well as all the other highly ranked CBs to compare him to.  He always impressed me prior to the draft process though.  
Your right far more then your wrong, I give you that.  I like Phillips, I wouldn’t hate him at 38 but until draft day happens and we know who else is available there I’m reserving judgement.  Would I take him over Banks, Ringo or maybe Cam Smith who falls? NO!  
The good thing about Phillips is while he’s short he’s solid.  He’s not like Forbes whose tall and skinny.  I don’t see Phillips getting bullied.

The other thing is that top of the second is an interesting place to be drafting.  Players fall and there’s lots of other positions of need that have good prospects that might be there.

I think the 2nd round pick unless we add another has to be one of the 3 top LB'S  that can start Campbell, Sanders or Smith. Honestly if we trade down and add a 2nd our first 3 picks can be starters in the right order. 1st, Porter Jr/ Deonte Banks

2nd, Drew Sanders/ Jack Campbell/ Trenton Simpson

2nd, Steve Avila

Already ahead of the game.

With tons of picks to move up in the 3rd and even add another 3rd and 4th

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I think the 2nd round pick unless we add another has to be one of the 3 top LB'S  that can start Campbell, Sanders or Smith. Honestly if we trade down and add a 2nd our first 3 picks can be starters in the right order. 1st, Porter Jr/ Deonte Banks

We need a SLB and another RB that can run but I think they're pretty confident in Deablo/Spillane as starters. It'd be nice to add another LB that can run/cover though for nickel packages early on. The kid from Washington State looks good in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I haven’t had enough time (just had first child 6 weeks ago and then was hospitalized with sepsis after a surgery that lead to an organ being removed….. so I’m behind the ball here for the first time in years) to watched enough video on Phillips to have an definitive opinion as well as all the other highly ranked CBs to compare him to.  He always impressed me prior to the draft process though.  
Your right far more then your wrong, I give you that.  I like Phillips, I wouldn’t hate him at 38 but until draft day happens and we know who else is available there I’m reserving judgement.  Would I take him over Banks, Ringo or maybe Cam Smith who falls? NO!  
The good thing about Phillips is while he’s short he’s solid.  He’s not like Forbes whose tall and skinny.  I don’t see Phillips getting bullied.

The other thing is that top of the second is an interesting place to be drafting.  Players fall and there’s lots of other positions of need that have good prospects that might be there.

Great news and glad you're alive. Sepsis is no joke.

• Like 1