The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

I think the Raiders are in a win/win situation when it comes to their first round pick. They can move up and get their QB if the future(no matter how you feel about that QB) or they sit tight and let the 4 QBs go before they pick at 7 and get to select a impact defensive player or trade that pick and gather picks. If they go with option 2 they can add a lot of talent to a defense that is lacking talent, but you’re stuck in this situation where you’re without a QB if the future. Good luck to Ziegler for making that choice on which route to go 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Traded 1.07 to Tennessee for 1.11 and 3.72. 

Traded 3.70, 3.100, 5.174 to Miami for 2.51 

11. Joey Porter Jr | CB | Penn State

38. Felix Anudike-Uzomah | Edge | Kansas State

51. Steve Avila | OL | TCU

72. Daiyan Henley | LB | Washington State

109. Luke Schoonmaker | TE | Michigan

141. Nick Herbig | LB | Wisconsin

144. Jay Ward | S | LSU

204. Dorian Thompson-Robinson | QB | UCLA

214. McClendon Curtis | OL | Chattanooga 

220. Brodric Martin | NT | Western Kentucky

231. Matt Landers | WR | Arkansas

I’d be happy with this. Trades look pretty realistic too. 

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you like Felix more than guys like Foskey, Ojulari, and McDonald?

I think Felix and Foskey have the size that Graham likes, guys that can rush the passer with the ability to play the run. Ojulari and McDonald might not be big enough for him.

33 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I’d be happy with this. Trades look pretty realistic too. 

I think the biggest W is moving down 4 spots to get another top 50 player. There are a ton of studs in that range. In draft simulators, you could get one of the top 2 tight ends in the top 50 picks as well.

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I think Felix and Foskey have the size that Graham likes, guys that can rush the passer with the ability to play the run. Ojulari and McDonald might not be big enough for him.

He had a lot of success with Ojulari's older brother Azeez in NY and they're basically the same player. Graham does love bigger DL but that's because he's more of a 3-4 guy, he likes 3-4 edge's but we gotta stay 4-3 cause of Maxx.

Edited by NYRaider

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the biggest W is moving down 4 spots to get another top 50 player. There are a ton of studs in that range. In draft simulators, you could get one of the top 2 tight ends in the top 50 picks as well.

I could see the Titans making a small trade up for the top OT or one of the QBs.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had a lot of success with Ojulari's older brother Azeez in NY and they're basically the same player. Graham does love bigger DL but that's because he's more of a 3-4 guy, he likes 3-4 edge's but we gotta stay 4-3 cause of Maxx.

Azeez still leave a lot to be desired in run defense. He would like to find a younger Chandler Jones a pass rusher who doesn't shy away from stopping the run. That's why Yannick was never a fit I hear people saying we should bring him back he's not Grahams type of guy.

Edited by raidr4life

31 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Azeez still leave a lot to be desired in run defense. He would like to find a younger Chandler Jones a pass rusher who doesn't shy away from stopping the run. That's why Yannick was never a fit I hear people saying we should bring him back he's not Grahams type of guy.

Chandler has also always been a 3-4 OLB type of player though and we forced him to play 4-3 DE. So it will be interesting to see if they go after more of a 3-4 or a 4-3 type of edge.

Edited by NYRaider

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you like Felix more than guys like Foskey, Ojulari, and McDonald?

First, I am going by highlight clips, and what I read, I don't pretend to actually scout anyone. So grain of salt with my opinion. But I love DL, so I follow these guys a lot. 

Felix is 6'3, 255, at 21 years old. True Junior. Born in 2002.
Will McDonald, 6'4, 239, R-Senior born in 1999. 

Three years older, that is massive to me, massive. McDonald ain't getting much bigger, he's 23!! What will Felix look like in two years? 

Far as I am concerned, McDonald, Nolan Smith, Ojulari, these guys are designated pass rushers. Which is totally fine, and if they can get 8 sacks in a rotation, that's worth a 2nd round pick. But those smaller guys need to be able to convert speed to power, like Khalil Mack, or Von Miller. If you cannot, you are a speed guy who occasionally gets the corner, but usually gets pushed past the QB. We may already have the guy in Koonce, who I think might be helpful in a rotation.

Felix to me has 3 down DE size, I can see him across from Maxx. In his highlights, he's finishing plays after fighting through double teams, he is strong. Same frame as Khalil Mack, 6'3, 250-ish. Ziggy Ansah maybe? He's probably not as good an athlete a those two, but that's why he's a 2nd rounder. NFL scout told me once there's a minimum of strength, at every position. If you don't have it, nothing else matters. That's why a lot of these speed rushers don't make it, they cannot power through an NFL OT at the top of their rush. And NFL OTs, for the most part, can get to the corner. You can only consistently get the corner if the respect your strength. If they have no fear of your inside move, you gonna watch them get ridden past the QB all game long. 

You know the two guys I think are interesting, in terms of versatility, who might appeal to Graham? Tuipulotu, Keion White. Tuipulotu's highlights are really fun, he has an unusual frame, and he makes NFL plays. He looks like a man out there. I will be surprised if he's a complete bust. Keion White is a R-Senior as well, but he's 6'5, 285, and had a crazy route to get to the draft, by the time he finally got to play big time ball, he killed it. He might be underrated because his resume is shorter. Feel like both of these guys can play 3 tech on passing down, 5 tech, or be across from Maxx. 

I don't think it's out of the realm of reality that one of them falls to the 3rd round. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Chandler has also always been a 3-4 OLB type of player though and we forced him to play 4-3 DE. So it will be interesting to see if they go after more of a 3-4 or a 4-3 type of edge.

I’d like to see a hybrid defense where Crosby has his hand in the ground and Jones can stand up.