The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't get how bad leatherwood was. Ok he was over drafted but he still should have been good.

He still might be alright. Most of his issues seemed to be mental lapses and it didn’t help that we drafted a LT to play RT then moved him to RG. The new reform preferred to role with bums like Alex Bars over giving him a chance 

5 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Sadly, all too true.

Ziegler will need to break character and laser focus on defense, with six holes to fix and little cap space (15th, ~$13M).  We note that free agents S Marcus Epps and DT Jerry Tillery didn't help the cause the way his offensive choices did.  (He'll need to get lucky at OG, too.)

This is a tightrope.  Chances are good the Raiders won't make the playoffs but they'll be ten rungs away from the Caleb-Maye sweepstakes. The good news?  Odds are that one of 2024's tertiary QBs will be at least as promising as Levis-Hooker.

I lost hope of him breaking character when we signed 5 WR this off-season lol. 

Signing Jimmy / Meyers ensured that we’d remain in the same spot we’ve been for a decade. QB purgatory where we aren’t good enough to contend but also aren’t bad enough to land a franchise guy. 

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

@big_palooka Levis over Young!? Shocks me.

I mean Young is clearly better today. I can't argue that. The ceiling for Levis is higher, with an obvious bust potential. I just don't see a guy Young's size holding up. He's going to play at < 200 lbs with a maxed out frame. Low floor but his ceiling will largely be based on how he holds up. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about how he basically never threw over the middle 10+ yards down the field. Russell Wilson has a similar passing chart where he’s either checking down or throwing to the sideline. They were talking about how much it limits your offense because you’re not able to take advantage of mismatches on LB/S over the middle. 

Hadn't heard this, but not surprising with his size. Wilson can't throw over the middle, but he was an elite escape artist in his prime and made big plays off schedule. 

Young will probably struggle over the middle and be a massive risk off schedule. I get these visions of a guy like Nick Bosa hitting him and he just turns to dust. 

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I mean Young is clearly better today. I can't argue that. The ceiling for Levis is higher, with an obvious bust potential. I just don't see a guy Young's size holding up. He's going to play at < 200 lbs with a maxed out frame. Low floor but his ceiling will largely be based on how he holds up. 

Fair enough. I personally think Levis won't amount to anything so I most definitely agree if you're banking on potential/high ceiling than go all in on Richardson. At least he has age, athleticism and the mental ground work to worth with.

I really like Stroud, Young and Richardson so any of the 3 works for me.

Levis I would be content with in the 2nd rounder at best.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We’ve made some terrible picks over the years but trading up to #3 to take Levis would probably be the worst pick in franchise history. 

Jamarcus Russell says hello. 

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fair enough. I personally think Levis won't amount to anything so I most definitely agree if you're banking on potential/high ceiling than go all in on Richardson. At least he has age, athleticism and the mental ground work to worth with.

I really like Stroud, Young and Richardson so any of the 3 works for me.

Levis I would be content with in the 2nd rounder at best.

I'm higher on Levis. 2021, he had some good tape. I think between changing offenses, poor protection and bad WRs he struggled. They did nothing to help his development. 

If he's coachable, there is a lot to work with. Clean him up and he could be the best in class. But the downside is obvious. 

He still might be alright. Most of his issues seemed to be mental lapses and it didn’t help that we drafted a LT to play RT then moved him to RG. The new reform preferred to role with bums like Alex Bars over giving him a chance 

He sucked and still sucks.

• Like 1

I lost hope of him breaking character when we signed 5 WR this off-season lol. 

Signing Jimmy / Meyers ensured that we’d remain in the same spot we’ve been for a decade. QB purgatory where we aren’t good enough to contend but also aren’t bad enough to land a franchise guy. 

I prefer to have a dynamic offense and only have to rebuild one side of the ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Do you guys think Arizona would be more inclined to trade #3 to us rather than Seattle so they avoid giving a division rival their QBOTF?

Arizona won’t trade it to Seattle. But Richardson won’t get past #4. If he did get past the Colts, he’s certainly not getting past Seattle. 

11 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Hmmm I think if a trade happens it happens before the draft starts. 

I also think a trade happens before the draft. I hope it’s us. I want Richardson. He has such superstar potential. I think before the draft either the Raiders or Titans trade up. Lions maybe.. if they want to groom Richardson 2 years behind Goff. Somebody is trading up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I prefer to have a dynamic offense and only have to rebuild one side of the ball.

We've been working on our defense got 20 years though...

Edited by Totty

1 minute ago, Totty said:

We've been working on our defense got 20 years though...

Neither defense in the SB was good. Eagles had good pressure throughout the year but they were a break or bend style. Chiefs were an average defense. 

The only Elite defense in the entire NFL last year was the 49ers IMO. And even they weren’t oh my god great. 

Having a great superstar QB, electric scheme, and HC has surpassed defense. Once we get that superstar QB, then yes, defense is important. What’s the point of building defense if you never find that superstar QB though? Finding that QB should be priority #1. 

• Like 1