The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

39 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

They really are in the cycle of suck down in Gainesville right now. I don’t know what Strickland is doing but they probably need to fire that guy ASAP and revamp that whole athletics department. 

As a Georgia fan, I love it. But agree completely. Was a terrible hire and it showed last year. 

33 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Just take the guy who can run and is a more accurate passer named Hooker

No thanks. He's as mid a QB as you're going to find. I don't see a single thing that make me think he's a franchise QB. 

On that note, if I'm not landing one of the top guy, I couldn't care less about drafting a QB this year. Sign a vet backup and build defense. 

Wasting a pick on a mid-Hooker or worse guy would feel like a sunk cost to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Again I have been very vocal about supporting trading up or trading down. I'm fine selecting #7 too. 

I just have an issue with people penciling us in for the Drake/Caleb sweepstakes + saying we should avoid QB all together when the majority of front offices will move mountains to get one of them. Just think, if we're picking #1 and someone offered us 3 first and 3 seconds to move far down and avoid Maye/Williams, would you? 

I'm not even in the Maye/Williams exclusive sweepstakes. I think there are several QBs that could easily be available beyond the top 5 next year that are probably much better prospects than what we're likely looking at. 

You're right some front offices would move mountains to get one of the QBs this year. Same as we've seen people willing to move mountains for RG3, Carson Wentz, etc. Let someone else move mountains and let us try and reap the benefits of doing so. 

And, frankly, yes I would 1000% be willing to move way down next year from a hypothetical 1st overall pick for 3 firsts and 3 seconds and give up Williams or Maye in the process. Few QBs are so superhuman that they alone alter franchises. A really good QB taken in the teens or twenties (QB 4-5 or so next year let's say) surrounded by a bunch of nailed 1st and 2nd round support is going to have a much easier time than a super stud working with a barren cupboard. 

Gotta remember, every big name QB in this year's draft is only the big name until next year's class. Obviously you don't perpetually kick the can down the road waiting, but if you strategize just a little, you can wind up with a windfall.

I look at what Houston and Miami and, to a lesser degree, Detroit have done.

Miami got snakebit by Tua's injury bug, but they're a damn solid team. Solid enough they made the playoffs after Tua went down and damn near pulled off the upset with a 7th round rookie QB. 

Houston has started assembling a good roster and between this year and next look like they're going to have a ton of ammo to be under competitive in a year or so. 

Detroit has so much draft ammo they're probably going to become a regular in the post season for the next decade. They can practically go BPA up and down the board or trade back and continue adding quality pieces while the roster gels and finds its groove. Goff is good, but he's nothing particularly special enough to keep Detroit from going QB if they wanted to, but the roster is shaping up to where it's basically a no-lose situation regardless of what they do. 

I'd much rather be like them than like the list of teams we've seen giving up the house year and year trying to find a savior QB instead of building a team to put said QB on. Unless we prove to be "a QB away" in the other aspects of the roster, I wholeheartedly support patience at the QB position if we can add the pieces to become "a QB away". If you get a chance to fleece someone one year, absolutely take it. Draft darlings come pretty much every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Agree.... my guess is the 2024 class, we come away thinking 3-4 guys rank higher than this current class. 

If this league wasn't driven by QBs, are any of these guys blue chip QBs who should be top 5 picks? I don't think so personally. 

I will say, had Richardson stayed.... his case may have been made. But that UF offense and coach suck.

Yup. One of Stroud or Young probably squeezes in. Someone always does pretty much. 

But on the whole? Nah. 10-15 years ago, they're probably all ranked 16 or lower with one likely slipping to round 2. 

They're up there because everyone wants a QB and the better ones haven't declared yet. I'm not sold on any one of the top 4 QBs in this class being one of the top 4 in the 24 class either. It definitely feels like a "Well, someone has to be the QB flavor of the week so here they are" type of class overall. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

As a Georgia fan, I love it. But agree completely. Was a terrible hire and it showed last year. 

Lol as a Tennessee fan that makes you and me both. My father is a die hard Florida guy and every conversation I have with him includes a “we need to fire Strickland” comment hahaha. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Just take the guy who can run and is a more accurate passer named Hooker

People get so overwhelmed by excessive tools that above average ones get lost. Hooker has as good of a chance to be an elite signal caller as most of these guys and I fully think he is a better prospect than Levis. My ideal draft at this point is Carter/Gonzalez/Anderson in the first and Hooker in the second. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No thanks. He's as mid a QB as you're going to find. I don't see a single thing that make me think he's a franchise QB. 

On that note, if I'm not landing one of the top guy, I couldn't care less about drafting a QB this year. Sign a vet backup and build defense. 

Wasting a pick on a mid-Hooker or worse guy would feel like a sunk cost to me. 

Lmao he got more tools than most of these guys outside of Richardson who has accuracy issues and once he takes a leg injury will fall of just like Lamar.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. One of Stroud or Young probably squeezes in. Someone always does pretty much. 

But on the whole? Nah. 10-15 years ago, they're probably all ranked 16 or lower with one likely slipping to round 2. 

They're up there because everyone wants a QB and the better ones haven't declared yet. I'm not sold on any one of the top 4 QBs in this class being one of the top 4 in the 24 class either. It definitely feels like a "Well, someone has to be the QB flavor of the week so here they are" type of class overall. 

I think young and stroud will be top 10 qb's. Hence why I would trade up for those 2. And I think Ziegler was down as well, hence he inquired for the #1 pick.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree.... my guess is the 2024 class, we come away thinking 3-4 guys rank higher than this current class. 

If this league wasn't driven by QBs, are any of these guys blue chip QBs who should be top 5 picks? I don't think so personally. 

I will say, had Richardson stayed.... his case may have been made. But that UF offense and coach suck.

Florida’s garbage offense including WRs and coaching are the two things that makes 1/3 of me think Richardson could take a major step as a passer once he gets better coaching in the NFL AND If he goes to an offense with good WRs (which we certainly have) and a OL that doesn’t get him killed, so he has that splint second extra to better read the defense.  Just for The record, I don’t hate Richardson as a prospect, i just dislike the risk Associated with trading up to draft him for our team, which is at a point where I think we need to nail every 1st and 2nd pick the next 2 years at a minimum.

oh yeah if you were to rank Levis and Richardson as overall prospects they’d be in the mid teens probably.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The QB class always looks better next year. It's one of the most common themes with football fans (This is one of the few times I think it will actually play out like that). But again we'd have to hit the lottery of lotteries to actually be in position to select QB 1/2.

I am happy to move up for one of the top 3 QBs and finally have the prospect of a franchise QB rather than continue ignoring the most important position + maybe having a 5% chance of getting Drake or Caleb.

At some point we have to go all-in on QB over praying the perfect prospect falls in our laps.

Yeah I understand that, been studying drafts since 97. It was merely an example. 

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

When the consensus “logic” is to trade multiple 1sts (and maybe other day 2 picks) for a crap shoot risk QB prospect in Richardson OR ELSE we won’t get our QBotF for many years…. Thats when you know it’s time to step away and reassess the situation.  

2024 isn’t just Williams and Maye… there could be Quinn Ewers, there’s Michael Penix and whoever steps up.  Also, QBs can be acquired via trade too.  

This

Say we trade 7 and ‘24 1st (and maybe more) for 3 to take Richardson and Jimmy G gets hurt week 4, which really isn’t an Absurd possibility…. We’d probably end up sending a pretty high draft pick, that could have been one of the top 2 QBs or At least high enough so that we’d be in striking distance to trade for one of them.

I think we’d really be regretting our decision then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And this. lol 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm not even in the Maye/Williams exclusive sweepstakes. I think there are several QBs that could easily be available beyond the top 5 next year that are probably much better prospects than what we're likely looking at. 

You're right some front offices would move mountains to get one of the QBs this year. Same as we've seen people willing to move mountains for RG3, Carson Wentz, etc. Let someone else move mountains and let us try and reap the benefits of doing so. 

And, frankly, yes I would 1000% be willing to move way down next year from a hypothetical 1st overall pick for 3 firsts and 3 seconds and give up Williams or Maye in the process. Few QBs are so superhuman that they alone alter franchises. A really good QB taken in the teens or twenties (QB 4-5 or so next year let's say) surrounded by a bunch of nailed 1st and 2nd round support is going to have a much easier time than a super stud working with a barren cupboard. 

Gotta remember, every big name QB in this year's draft is only the big name until next year's class. Obviously you don't perpetually kick the can down the road waiting, but if you strategize just a little, you can wind up with a windfall.

I look at what Houston and Miami and, to a lesser degree, Detroit have done.

Miami got snakebit by Tua's injury bug, but they're a damn solid team. Solid enough they made the playoffs after Tua went down and damn near pulled off the upset with a 7th round rookie QB. 

Houston has started assembling a good roster and between this year and next look like they're going to have a ton of ammo to be under competitive in a year or so. 

Detroit has so much draft ammo they're probably going to become a regular in the post season for the next decade. They can practically go BPA up and down the board or trade back and continue adding quality pieces while the roster gels and finds its groove. Goff is good, but he's nothing particularly special enough to keep Detroit from going QB if they wanted to, but the roster is shaping up to where it's basically a no-lose situation regardless of what they do. 

I'd much rather be like them than like the list of teams we've seen giving up the house year and year trying to find a savior QB instead of building a team to put said QB on. Unless we prove to be "a QB away" in the other aspects of the roster, I wholeheartedly support patience at the QB position if we can add the pieces to become "a QB away". If you get a chance to fleece someone one year, absolutely take it. Draft darlings come pretty much every year.

Oh yeah, this too. Lmao!

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Say we trade 7 and ‘24 1st (and maybe more) for 3 to take Richardson and Jimmy G gets hurt week 4, which really isn’t an Absurd possibility…. We’d probably end up sending a pretty high draft pick, that could have been one of the top 2 QBs or At least high enough so that we’d be in striking distance to trade for one of them.

I think we’d really be regretting our decision then.

Yep, exactly what I meant earlier👍👍👍👍🍻