The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

@big_palooka Starting to agree Maye is 1a and Caleb 1b next year. I’ve watched a lot of Caleb and I feel people are over exaggerating his play extension/off platform throws a bit. He’s pretty good at it, but it’s not generational level. Bryce Young is better at extending plays. Jordan Love is better at off-platform throws (one of the things that really drew me to Love). 

Both guys are easily better than any QB in this draft class. But Maye reminds me of a unique blend of Burrow, Herbert, and Rodgers. Rodgers 40%, Burrow 35%, Herbert 25%. He’s the best pure thrower since Burrow, and his throwing style and motion and quick release are all very Rodgers-esque. His anticipation is Burrow-like. 

Maye is also a guy everyone can get behind. Traditional QB fans and also the new era of QB fans as well. 

I still think we should get a QB this year, tanking never works and expecting to trade up never works. But Maye/Caleb are definitely going to transform two teams next year. Just like Burrow/Lawrence did recently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

that's when they were good too. 

Good enough to get bounced out of the playoffs in the divisional round. Which will happen when they go up against teams like the Chiefs bengals or bills. You know teams with QBs. 

18 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Good enough to get bounced out of the playoffs in the divisional round. Which will happen when they go up against teams like the Chiefs bengals or bills. You know teams with QBs. 

that's why they build up their defense this year, then go get a rookie in 2024. Same thing we should do 

39 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

that's why they build up their defense this year, then go get a rookie in 2024. Same thing we should do 

You don't know what you want to do, you said go all in on AR 15 a day ago. They have the number 2 spot right now it would be silly of them to pass on one of the top 2 QB's, and they still have tons of picks for defense. We on the other hand are not in position for one of the top 2 QB's our offense is legit and we are better served building the defense and drafting a developmental guy this year that may or may not stop us from drafting someone next year.

If the Raiders were sitting in Houstan's position 90% of the people here would say take a QB then spend all the rest of our picks on defense.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 2

Bryce is no where near as good at extending plays and throwing off platform. Caleb is elite at that and what makes him even more dangerous is that he is willing to run most of the time for big gains. 

Rocket arm sliding to his weak side on a rope. A throw that Bryce cannot throw

Let’s not act like Caleb isn’t a generational type of talent. Big, strong, fast, rocket arm and accuracy. Franchise changing QB

Edited by agarcia34

I didn’t say Bryce was better at off platform throws, just that he was better at extending plays. I do think Caleb is a generational talent but of all the generational talents that have entered the draft I would have him behind Luck, Burrow, Lawrence, and Maye as prospects. 

Of the past 13 drafts including next years, I would rank (my own personal ranks) as prospects:

Generational:

1) Trevor Lawrence

2) Andrew Luck

3) Joe Burrow

4) Drake Maye

5) Caleb Williams

6) RGIII

7) Tua T

Those would be the only 7 QB’s I had as generational. I don’t wanna hear the flak about RGIII, most had him as generational. Jury still out on Tua, he was having an MVP caliber if not for all the concussions. Dolphins win the AFCE this year and make the CCG as well IMO. 

Nobody in this class is generational obviously. But I do like Bryce, Stroud, and Richardson and would gladly draft any of the three. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Of the past 13 drafts including next years, I would rank (my own personal ranks) as prospects:

Generational:

1) Trevor Lawrence

2) Andrew Luck

3) Joe Burrow

4) Drake Maye

5) Caleb Williams

6) RGIII

7) Tua T

Those would be the only 7 QB’s I had as generational. I don’t wanna hear the flak about RGIII, most had him as generational. Jury still out on Tua, he was having an MVP caliber if not for all the concussions. Dolphins win the AFCE this year and make the CCG as well IMO. 

Nobody in this class is generational obviously. But I do like Bryce, Stroud, and Richardson and would gladly draft any of the three. 

When 5 of the 7 are QBs that are less than 4 years removed from college or still in college......kinda defeats the definition of the word "generational". That's inching fairly close to status quo levels for me. 

When I think of "generational" I think Elway, Peyton, and Luck. Maybe Lawrence. Guys that are noticeably beyond their peers w/in a few years prior and after. 

There was basically no generational QB Prospects from 2013-2019. Although Josh Allen ended up turning into a generational player. I’m hoping the same for Richardson if we draft him. He’s not a generational prospect by any means, but he has a ceiling and potential that is Top 3-4 QB in the NFL along with Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. He is not a generational prospect but he has a generational ceiling like Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes, neither of which were generational prospects. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You don't know what you want to do, you said go all in on AR 15 a day ago. They have the number 2 spot right now it would be silly of them to pass on one of the top 2 QB's, and they still have tons of picks for defense. We on the other hand are not in position for one of the top 2 QB's our offense is legit and we are better served building the defense and drafting a developmental guy this year that may or may not stop us from drafting someone next year.

If the Raiders were sitting in Houstan's position 90% of the people here would say take a QB then spend all the rest of our picks on defense.

meh, If I was Texans I would build a powerhouse defense to go with your defensive coach. Give Davis Mills one more shot. If he sucks, be in position to draft Caleb. Caleb and a powerhouse defense would be amazing. I know you narrow minded and only think small picture, but you have to look at the draft through a long term scope. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Defeats the purpose.. you can’t look at it in hindsight, only entering the draft. 

So does naming 3 guys in 2 years and 5 in 4. 

You mean to say that nearly 1/5 of the league has a "generational" QB prospect? 

Hell, at that rate the entire league will probably have one before any of the currently active ones retire. 

That's not how "generational" works. Like, at all. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

So does naming 3 guys in 2 years and 5 in 4. 

You mean to say that nearly 1/5 of the league has a "generational" QB prospect? 

Hell, at that rate the entire league will probably have one before any of the currently active ones retire. 

Huh? Purely coincidence 2 guys were in 2020, 1 guy in 2021, and 2 in 2024. Don’t overthink it.  

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

meh, If I was Texans I would build a powerhouse defense to go with your defensive coach. Give Davis Mills one more shot. If he sucks, be in position to draft Caleb. Caleb and a powerhouse defense would be amazing. I know you narrow minded and only think small picture, but you have to look at the draft through a long term scope. 

Build powerhouse defense that will take you out of the Caleb, Maye sweepstakes get stuck with Davis Mills. You not thinking at all. Then become a laughing stock If Young balls out for another team.

Edited by raidr4life

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Build powerhouse defense that will take you out of the Caleb, Maye sweepstakes get stuck with Davis Mills You don't think at all.

if Davis Mills sucks the team will suck. Rookies aint going come in and take the team to the playoffs year one. 

Texas 1- Anderson

Texans 2nd 1st- Myles Murphy 

Texans 2nd- Keele Ringo CB or Deonte Banks

Texans 3rd- Sewell/ Henley LB

Texans 3rd- Jamie Robinson S

that defense would be nice to what they already have on the roster. Then they come back and get a nice franchise QB next year. Unless Davis Mills balls out 

Edited by Humble_Beast