The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I find it funny that some people are saying “There’s absolutely no way the top 2 teams next year trade out and give up Williams/Maye” when this year Chicago traded out of 1 and Houston is rumored to pass on a QB.  

And this year there will be 4 teams drafting a QBofF… those teams are likely to be drafting high again.  Those teams would likely be a like Chicago and want to trade out of a top pick and gain a large haul of picks.

Who wouldn’t (be likely) to trading out of the top 2 picks (assuming it goes Carolina-Stroud, Houston-Young, Indy-Richardson , and ?Atlanta?-Levis):

1 + 9 (Car) Chicago- committed to Fields, trade pick again.

2 + 12(Cle) Houston- just drafted Young.

3. Arizona- financial committed to Murray.

4. Indy- just drafted Richardson.

5.  Denver- if picking too 2 they draft a QB cuz Wilson is done.

6. Rams- definitely would draft a QB, Stafford says he’s returning but for how long? Not long.

7.  Raiders- we’d definitely draft a QB.

8. Atlanta- if they draft Levis then they wouldn’t draft another QB.

10. NO- just signed Carr, but if picking 1-2 they’d draft a QB.  I don’t see them picking anywhere near top 5.

11.  Tennessee- they’d draft a QB.  * I could see Tennessee drafting Levis if Atlanta doesn’t *

13. Jets- would absolutely draft a QB.

14. Pats- would draft a QB, they don’t seem sold longterm on Mac Jones and Zappe is certainly upgradable.

15. GB- all depends on how Love does this year.  Possibly.

16. Washington- would definitely draft a QB.

17. Pitt- have Pickett but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

18. Detroit- have Goff but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

19. TB- would draft a QB, Trask and a FA Mayfield wouldn’t stop them.

20. Seattle- could draft a QBotF and sit them part or full year while Geno Smith plays.

21. Miami- if picking top 2 Tua’s probably  From concussions and they need a new QB.

23. Baltimore- all Depends if they resign Lamar Jackson or not.  But if they don’t keep Jackson, that means another team would have him and trade the pick if there picking top 2.

25. NYG- have Daniel Jones on a new deal, but possibly.

22, 24, 26-30.  Have their franchise QB, would trade pick…  SD- Herbert, Jax- Lawrence, Dal- Prescott, Buffalo- Allen, Cincy- Burrow, Philly- Hurts, KC- Mahomes

The chances of being able to land a trade into the top 2 picks is way better than some have indicated.  There’s no reason or urgency for this team to trade and bet the farm on Richardson, IMO.  

1) Jimmy G could get hurt week 3 and we’d be left with 37yo Brian Hoyer… 

2) one of the teams with a QB could land one of the two picks and are willing to trade down.

3) Maye or Williams have a slight down year And another prospect (Harrison/Egbuka WR, Dallas Turner Edge, etc) has a great season… due to the draft order the #2 pick team elects to draft the non-QB and not trade down.  Maybe one of this years drafts QBs gets paired with an elite WR.

So there’s plenty of chances we can land a top 2 QB next year.  No need to rush into a QB this year if we don’t feel he’s the one for us.

There’s suppose to be 5-7 first round QBs next year too. Suppose to be one of the best QB classes in recent memory 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nolan Smith is classic case of combine warrior. He didn’t do much in college, he’s more a 2nd round pick to me 

Nah he popped off the screen in college. He's the strongest 230 pound edge I've ever seen. And his bend and closing speed are ridiculous. I'd use him like Von Miller. Edge on 3rd down, off the ball LB/strongside LB on 1st/2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I find it funny that some people are saying “There’s absolutely no way the top 2 teams next year trade out and give up Williams/Maye” when this year Chicago traded out of 1 and Houston is rumored to pass on a QB.  

And this year there will be 4 teams drafting a QBofF… those teams are likely to be drafting high again.  Those teams would likely be a like Chicago and want to trade out of a top pick and gain a large haul of picks.

Who wouldn’t (be likely) to trading out of the top 2 picks (assuming it goes Carolina-Stroud, Houston-Young, Indy-Richardson , and ?Atlanta?-Levis):

1 + 9 (Car) Chicago- committed to Fields, trade pick again.

2 + 12(Cle) Houston- just drafted Young.

3. Arizona- financial committed to Murray.

4. Indy- just drafted Richardson.

5.  Denver- if picking too 2 they draft a QB cuz Wilson is done.

6. Rams- definitely would draft a QB, Stafford says he’s returning but for how long? Not long.

7.  Raiders- we’d definitely draft a QB.

8. Atlanta- if they draft Levis then they wouldn’t draft another QB.

10. NO- just signed Carr, but if picking 1-2 they’d draft a QB.  I don’t see them picking anywhere near top 5.

11.  Tennessee- they’d draft a QB.  * I could see Tennessee drafting Levis if Atlanta doesn’t *

13. Jets- would absolutely draft a QB.

14. Pats- would draft a QB, they don’t seem sold longterm on Mac Jones and Zappe is certainly upgradable.

15. GB- all depends on how Love does this year.  Possibly.

16. Washington- would definitely draft a QB.

17. Pitt- have Pickett but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

18. Detroit- have Goff but if picking top 2 they would likely move on.

19. TB- would draft a QB, Trask and a FA Mayfield wouldn’t stop them.

20. Seattle- could draft a QBotF and sit them part or full year while Geno Smith plays.

21. Miami- if picking top 2 Tua’s probably  From concussions and they need a new QB.

23. Baltimore- all Depends if they resign Lamar Jackson or not.  But if they don’t keep Jackson, that means another team would have him and trade the pick if there picking top 2.

25. NYG- have Daniel Jones on a new deal, but possibly.

22, 24, 26-30.  Have their franchise QB, would trade pick…  SD- Herbert, Jax- Lawrence, Dal- Prescott, Buffalo- Allen, Cincy- Burrow, Philly- Hurts, KC- Mahomes

The chances of being able to land a trade into the top 2 picks is way better than some have indicated.  There’s no reason or urgency for this team to trade and bet the farm on Richardson, IMO.  

1) Jimmy G could get hurt week 3 and we’d be left with 37yo Brian Hoyer… 

2) one of the teams with a QB could land one of the two picks and are willing to trade down.

3) Maye or Williams have a slight down year And another prospect (Harrison/Egbuka WR, Dallas Turner Edge, etc) has a great season… due to the draft order the #2 pick team elects to draft the non-QB and not trade down.  Maybe one of this years drafts QBs gets paired with an elite WR.

So there’s plenty of chances we can land a top 2 QB next year.  No need to rush into a QB this year if we don’t feel he’s the one for us.

Lmao if you draft Levis this year and found yourself at number 1 next year you passing on Caleb or Maye? I don't think so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

This is not the same thing.... This class of QB all have flaws. 

If Maye and Williams play up to expectations, you've got 2 Lawerence/Burrow level guys. Clean, franchise QBs. If either of these guys were in this draft, Chicago would likely trade fields and upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nolan Smith is classic case of combine warrior. He didn’t do much in college, he’s more a 2nd round pick to me 

Tell me you've never watched Georgia play football, without telling me you've never watched Georgia play football. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Van Ness plays interior a good chunk doesn't he?

He won’t be interior in the NFL, everyone projects him to be an EDGE, and most if his productive plays came off the edge. I view him as a playmaker/disrupter. I see a lot of TJ Watt in him. 

I like this quote:

One NFL member of team management told me something about Ziegler: "The Patriots, if you look in the first-round, aren't great drafters. I was told by someone in New England that Ziegler would be frustrated at times by their picks, he thinks differently. Raider Nation needs to trust Ziegler. He gets it. He thinks like a young Ron Wolf."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is not the same thing.... This class of QB all have flaws. 

If Maye and Williams play up to expectations, you've got 2 Lawerence/Burrow level guys. Clean, franchise QBs. If either of these guys were in this draft, Chicago would likely trade fields and upgrade.

Exactly. Chiefs, Bengals, Jaguars, Bills are the ONLY teams for sure trading out of 1/2. Even if Herbert or Hurts have a down year, Chargers/Eagles will take Caleb/Maye. 

If Caleb/Maye were in this draft, the Bears would NOT have traded out. Fields would be in discussion with Stroud, Young, and Richardson as the Top Prospect of this class, all four close. And Fields showed promise last season. Taking one of those three to replace Fields made no sense. 

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lmao if you draft Levis this year and found yourself at number 1 next year you passing on Caleb or Maye? I don't think so.

Did Chicago not just draft Fields, end up #1, and trade the pick?

if a team drafts Levis they certainly like him a whole lot more then you do.

Regardless, if that’s all you can find fault with your argument that it’s trade the farm and pray Richardson can develop drastically as a passer or else we’ll spend years upon years waiting for the chance to get our QB is a pretty poor argument.

There are ALWAYS options out there, so there’s no need to panic and take a massive chance on Richardson.  Richardson doesn’t even fit in McD’s rigid offense and lack of desire/ability to adjust from it.  Not to mention, McD is on the hot seat and could go next year and if he does let the new coach draft his own guy.  If your trading up to draft a QB this year your doubling down on McD as the coach long term.

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Did Chicago not just draft Fields, end up #1, and trade the pick?

If Maye/Caleb were in this class, they 100% don’t trade the pick for reasons I just stated. Maye/Caleb are generational prospects and Fields hasn’t proven much. Whereas in this class, you can put Fields/Stroud/Young/Richardson all around the same level as prospects, and Fields showed flashes last season. Replacing him with one of those three, being similar level prospects, made zero sense. 

• Like 1