The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

42 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Yea that’s the biggest concern in my opinion. Powerhouses like OSU have deep teams. His weapons were whipping corners getting open and making plays. He was still making good throws but what happens when his WRs are average. Panthers and Texans both have mediocre WR cores. 

Stroud would need a core like ours to mirror what he had at OSU

My concern of Powerhouse program QBs all day.

2 or 3 legit NFL WRs on a team isn't something to overlook. Most teams are lucky to have 1 NFL starting level CB.

My concern stretches to Young, too. Everyone excuses it as being Alabama's "worst" team but...c'mon. Nobody is going to be surprised when at least one of Young's old WRs is a first or high second next year. 2 of his OL guys are expected to be round 4 picks or higher. Ditto his TE.

That's already more than most QBs can say about their college offenses. Is it Alabama's usual standard? No. And very few teams consistently meet Alabama's "low" standards, much less their highs. 

I actually have some of the same reservations about Caleb Williams next year as well. 2023 will be huge for his stock. USC is good at recruiting, so he's always gonna be surrounded by some decent talent, but last year's team of transfers had that "dream team" feel. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

My concern of Powerhouse program QBs all day.

2 or 3 legit NFL WRs on a team isn't something to overlook. Most teams are lucky to have 1 NFL starting level CB.

My concern stretches to Young, too. Everyone excuses it as being Alabama's "worst" team but...c'mon. Nobody is going to be surprised when at least one of Young's old WRs is a first or high second next year. 2 of his OL guys are expected to be round 4 picks or higher. Ditto his TE.

That's already more than most QBs can say about their college offenses. Is it Alabama's usual standard? No. And very few teams consistently meet Alabama's "low" standards, much less their highs. 

I actually have some of the same reservations about Caleb Williams next year as well. 2023 will be huge for his stock. USC is good at recruiting, so he's always gonna be surrounded by some decent talent, but last year's team of transfers had that "dream team" feel. 

For what’s it worth, Joe Burrow was throwing to two top 5 NFL WRs in college and turned out fine. 

Young WR core last season was mediocre compared to what Bama had in years past

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty damn close. 

I'd personally forego TE until day 3 because I like the potential of Hooper/Howard getting a real shot, but I get the idea. 

I agree I like Hooper in this offense, I just stayed true to BPA for this mock he was the highest rated 1st rounder that dropped to 38 and since TE was a need at some point I just stayed true and wanted to see how the board fell later. Honestly he's not even my favorite TE in this draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty damn close. 

I'd personally forego TE until day 3 because I like the potential of Hooper/Howard getting a real shot, but I get the idea. 

I agree… we have enough at TE, especially with so many WRs… and slot WRs at that.. where we should wait until rounds 5-6 to draft a 3rd TE.  There should be some quality prospects there.  I think you can find someone in that range that can be a TE3 immediately and develop into a TE2.  

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s not about the specific number. It’s just that there are usually only 5, maybe 6-7 Elite QBs top in the nfl at any given time. If there are 9 and Stroud is one, great. But there is never nine. 

The main point is, take numbers out of it. You can forget I said it entirely. I don’t think Stroud ever develops an Elite QB skillset like Mahomes, Allen, Prime Rodgers, etc. He’ll never be in that elite tier. 

With that said, I still absolutely love Stroud. 

No one pegged Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers as elite QBs in the NFL at the time they were drafted either. 

29 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I have Richardson over Bryce and Stroud. We are talking about a guy who wants to be great, has elite traits, a leader, and smart to top it off. 

Who doesn’t want to be great lol 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

No one pegged Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers as elite QBs in the NFL at the time they were drafted either. 

Rodgers, yes they did lol. A lot of people thought he was gonna be elite and thought the Niners were idiots for going Smith. Real time, not hindsight. As for Allen/Mahomes they have super elite traits. Stroud doesn’t.

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Rodgers, yes they did lol. A lot of people thought he was gonna be elite and thought the Niners were idiots for going Smith. Real time, not hindsight. As for Allen/Mahomes they have super elite traits. Stroud doesn’t.

I still can’t believe we passed on him. For Fabian Washington I believe. We were even still in Oakland, and the East Bay college star QB fell to our laps. LOL

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I still can’t believe we passed on him. For Fabian Washington I believe. We were even still in Oakland, and the East Bay college star QB fell to our laps. LOL

Al Davis was completely senile from like 04 until he died. That’s not a joke or exaggeration. It’s sad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I have Richardson over Bryce and Stroud. We are talking about a guy who wants to be great, has elite traits, a leader, and smart to top it off. 

There all 1a 1b 1c for me at this point. If all three were available it'd be between Young and Richardson for me... but I might just take Richardson. We have needed our own Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Brady, Rodgers for a long long time. Longggg time. And Richardson can absolutely morph into that elite tier. I'll take the risk. What's the worst that can happen? Get set back a couple years and McDaniels gets canned? Oh my god, so scary! The best franchises take risks and they win a championship over it. I'm sure I'll get quoted "well this could lead to disaster!!" that's the point of a risk. 

Come draft day I'd be happy with any of the Top 3 QB's, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, or Christian Gonzalez. That's 7 players. I will be happy with our first round pick for once. 7 players I want, and we are pick #7. The Raiders can't possibly screw this up right...? Are we going to draft a RT at #7? *Facepalm*. 

I'd also be fine with a trade down for any of the other three corners, Witherspoon, Banks, Porter. I'd also be fine with a trade down for a RT if we really want to go that direction, even though I think it would be a meh choice. We need QB or Defense. I'd also be fine with a trade down for Van Ness or Nolan Smith. This is a great draft to trade down in... but I don't want more picks in this draft. We already have way too many. I want to collect assets for the next draft.

Anyways, gonna be busy with work until a couple days before the draft, but I hope we have a great draft and you all have a great time. I'm excited. Our first draft with a 1st/2nd Rounder without Gruden! I think Gruden's is a solid offensive coach TBH, but boy oh boy, one of the worst talent evaluators in human history (that is a professional football employee). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Why did Rodgers fall to the end of the 1st round if people thought he was going to be elite he wouldn't have fallen that far.

Just now, raidr4life said:

Why did Rodgers fall to the end of the 1st round if people thought he was going to be elite he wouldn't have fallen that far.

It was a strange year where almost no one out of the Niners needed a QB in the first 25-27 picks. But many had Rodgers as #1 over Smith, most I would say actually. And viewed him as elite. Him falling will always go down as one of those draft mystery's and draft surprises. I was a huge Rodgers guy. You can count some of that as Cal bias, but I usually hate Cal QB's coming out, including Goff. Rodgers though, is one of my favorite QB prospects ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It was a strange year where almost no one out of the Niners needed a QB in the first 25-27 picks. But many had Rodgers as #1 over Smith, most I would say actually. And viewed him as elite. Him falling will always go down as one of those draft mystery's and draft surprises. I was a huge Rodgers guy. You can count some of that as Cal bias, but I usually hate Cal QB's coming out, including Goff. Rodgers though, is one of my favorite QB prospects ever. 

. Why did no one recruit the Chico, California, quarterback out of high school? Why did he end up at Butte Community College? And what was up with that high-ball grip he was taught at Cal by coach Jeff Tedford? No dude I'm not buying, I remember totally different Alex Smith was #1 and was looked at as NFL ready then you had guys like Campbell in the mix.