The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can certainly take a guard prospect, but I wouldn't sleep on Thayer munford as a long term player at guard. He's huge.

Low key, there are a few good options at G. I'd certainly add someone in the draft to round out the competition, but should push someone up. 

I missed they signed Justin Murray to a futures contract. He had a solid run in AZ as reserve OT/OG. Someone else in the mix there.  

43 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can certainly take a guard prospect, but I wouldn't sleep on Thayer munford as a long term player at guard. He's huge.

that's the thing about Munford. He was good as a tackle in college, but sucked as guard. He is a legit prospect as a tackle, who would have went higher had he played there his last year in college. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

54 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

that's the thing about Munford. He was good as a tackle in college, but sucked as guard. He is a legit prospect as a tackle, who would have went higher had he played there his last year in college. 

Mumford did not suck at Guard he was pretty solid actually, but he played on the Left side his whole college career mostly LT, now as is the Raider way they move him to the right which could hinder development. He was ok a RT last year and I'd hate to see him moved around more, but if you going to try him at Guard put him at LG and move Parham to RG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Mumford did not suck at Guard he was pretty solid actually, but he played on the Left side his whole college career mostly LT, now as is the Raider way they move him to the right which could hinder development. He was ok a RT last year and I'd hate to see him moved around more, but if you going to try him at Guard put him at LG and move Parham to RG.

you making stuff up at this point....

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

you making stuff up at this point....

What am I making up exactly? You don't know what you are talking about as usual. I can back up what I said can you? At Guard he was ok needs better leverage in the run game but really solid in pass pro. His entire career has been on the left side so what did I make up? Someone mentioned trying him at Guard, so I suggested he play on the left side if they do, because that's where he spent his entire college career including playing over 500 snaps at LG to 150 snap at LT in 2021. And some people think Parham played better at RG in the limited time he played there.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

What am I making up exactly? You don't know what you are talking about as usual. I can back up what I said can you? At Guard he was ok needs better leverage in the run game but really solid in pass pro. His entire career has been on the left side so what did I make up? Someone mentioned trying him at Guard, so I suggested he play on the left side if they do, because that's where he spent his entire college career including playing over 500 snaps at LG to 150 snap at LT in 2021. And some people think Parham played better at RG in the limited time he played there.

Yeah munford played pretty decent at guard. He has a ton of power and easily could develop at that position. He played well at left guard for ohio state.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Low key, there are a few good options at G. I'd certainly add someone in the draft to round out the competition, but should push someone up. 

I missed they signed Justin Murray to a futures contract. He had a solid run in AZ as reserve OT/OG. Someone else in the mix there.  

I agree but it's not a dire need like the media is making it out to be.

For me it's:

1. QB (if you can get a franchise QB)

2. CB

3. LB

4. DL (always important but our secondary/LB room are ***)

5. OL

6. TE

• Like 2

https://www.buckeyesports.com/2022-nfl-draft-thayer-munford-selected-no-238-by-the-las-vegas-raiders/?print=print

Munford played better at OT then G in college.  

I’d like to see him be given a real shot to take the RT job from Elu in TC.  Elu can always be kicked to RG. But If we don’t give him a legit shot at RT (it’s a crowded RT position group: Elu, Munford, Parker, Herron) then I think it’s very important we keep him on at LG and not RG.  Parham played RG in college and could play there or C if James is released.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

https://www.buckeyesports.com/2022-nfl-draft-thayer-munford-selected-no-238-by-the-las-vegas-raiders/?print=print

Munford played better at OT then G in college.  

I’d like to see him be given a real shot to take the RT job from Elu in TC.  Elu can always be kicked to RG. But If we don’t give him a legit shot at RT (it’s a crowded RT position group: Elu, Munford, Parker, Herron) then I think it’s very important we keep him on at LG and not RG.  Parham played RG in college and could play there or C if James is released.

That would be ideal if Munford could nail down the RT spot then Elu to Guard.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I have this weird thought that we will trade down or stand pat and take Nolan Smith at 7. Just a gut feeling, but I think he's gonna be a double digit sack guy yearly and would be an unreal complement to Crosby.

FAU

I’m still firmly in the trade down mindset, saw a mock where they had us trade back with ten. and pick up an additional 2nd. Had us taking dexter with pick 70, compared him to c Jones (more sizewise, speed n power than play so let’s not lose it fellers. Lol) I like dexters potential, especially at 70. 6’5.5” 320, 4.88 40 and good bench. He’s just gotta be coached up. 

28 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I’m still firmly in the trade down mindset, saw a mock where they had us trade back with ten. and pick up an additional 2nd. Had us taking dexter with pick 70, compared him to c Jones (more sizewise, speed n power than play so let’s not lose it fellers. Lol) I like dexters potential, especially at 70. 6’5.5” 320, 4.88 40 and good bench. He’s just gotta be coached up. 

Dexter is a interesting prospect…. He’s the classic case of a prospect having a great size and athleticism but also having fixable yet major weaknesses:

the guy has one of the worst jumps at the snap, it’s BAD. If you can coach him up, it’s gotta be a technique/mental issue and a physical limitation because he’s a great athlete, then you could have quite a steal a solid NFL starting DT.

i just don’t know how you can be that slow off the snap and stand straight up and yet play so well after that.  He puts himself at a major disadvantage to start almost every play and yet still is very good.

Edited by jimkelly02