2022 Around league

dll2000

11 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Poles wanted Bates to be fair. I think most fans were desperate for any OL signing by that point in the offseason.

True. But most definitely co-signed the move and were pretty upset when it didn't materialize. The NFL is interesting in that you never know what you are getting in free agency regardless of past performance. Let's just hope that the right moves are made next off season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

True. But most definitely co-signed the move and were pretty upset when it didn't materialize. The NFL is interesting in that you never know what you are getting in free agency regardless of past performance. Let's just hope that the right moves are made next off season.

It's definitely a bit of a crap-shoot. But signing guys like Bates is a good bet IMO. I wish Poles had brought in more free agents at his age and price range. Even if they don't all work out, the cap cost is pretty low.

Pace made a similar deal for Akiem Hicks who turned into a multi-year star at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It's definitely a bit of a crap-shoot. But signing guys like Bates is a good bet IMO. I wish Poles had brought in more free agents at his age and price range. Even if they don't all work out, the cap cost is pretty low.

Pace made a similar deal for Akiem Hicks who turned into a multi-year star at a reasonable price.

Wholehearted agree here. You can't go into free agency scared for sure. I would like to see 2 or 3 impact players signed this year along with upside players. Not super interested in journeymen unless it's a last resort. I want to see a young, hungry and talented roster. We'll probably lose some of those guys if they are developed properly but at least we would know that the staff can develop players with potential. Hard to see a lot of potential on the current roster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If one more dumb **** meathead compares what Josh Allen's second year was like to Fields' I'm going to lose my ****. This guy is a miracle athlete and a top 3 QB for the next 15 years. Ridiculous player

Yes he is but at one point in his NFL career (early on) he didn't look like the ridiculous player he is today. It took time for him to arrive to this point of now and last season

While cases like Allen's are more of exceptions to the norm the reason people are comparing Fields' situation to his is because they share similar athletic traits and situations during their first couple years 

I'm not trying to sound biased here but I think Fields is an even better athlete, at least with his legs 

There's nothing wrong with people saying this..at least it gives some people hope for the glass half full kind of thinkers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yes he is but at one point in his NFL career (early on) he didn't look like the ridiculous player he is today. It took time for him to arrive to this point of now and last season

While cases like Allen's are more of exceptions to the norm the reason people are comparing Fields' situation to his is because they share similar athletic traits and situations during their first couple years 

I'm not trying to sound biased here but I think Fields is an even better athlete, at least with his legs 

There's nothing wrong with people saying this..at least it gives some people hope for the glass half full kind of thinkers

There's something wrong with it because guys who suck for their first 2 years and turn into a player *this* good rarely happens, if ever. At this rate Allen is going to be in Canton & Fields will be out of the league by 2027.

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If one more dumb **** meathead compares what Josh Allen's second year was like to Fields' I'm going to lose my ****. This guy is a miracle athlete and a top 3 QB for the next 15 years. Ridiculous player

You don’t think Fields is a top athlete? I think he is.  Allen has stronger arm though.  

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You don’t think Fields is a top athlete? I think he is.  Allen has stronger arm though.  

Not compared to Allen I don't, no. I've never seen Fields jump over a guy and continue to run for 10 yards. I've never seen him throw a dime to a WR 30 yards down the field on the run. We as Bears fans compare all of our **** to other teams' pasts to find even the slimmest of hopes. "Well the best QB in football wasn't good in year 2 and look at him now. Fields will be the same by year 3!" or "Poles found good OL late in the draft in KC so watch how good Braxton Jones will be!" Stop. Guys like Allen don't come around often.

Edited by beardown3231

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not compared to Allen I don't, no. I've never seen Fields jump over a guy and continue to run for 10 yards. I've never seen him throw a dime to a WR 30 yards down the field on the run. We as Bears fans compare all of our **** to other teams' pasts to find even the slimmest of hopes. "Well the best QB in football wasn't good in year 2 and look at him now. Fields will be the same by year 3!" or "Poles found good OL late in the draft in KC so watch how good Braxton Jones will be!" Stop. Guys like Allen don't come around often.

Have you watched some of his runs this year and last?

That called back run was epic.  

24 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Fields might have similar escapability. He absolutely doesn't have Allen's arm talent. Allen looks like a young Rodgers throwing the ball. Fields' throwing looks awkward.

Give Fields a clean pocket and he can throw.

The constant pressure is ruining him though.  It continues and he will be seeing ghosts forever.  May already be too late.

31 minutes ago, Bfan said:

Not sure if this belongs here but have the Jets gotten kind of good or are the Packers really that bad?

A bit of both. Jets have gotten a lot better though.

That's what should happen when you're a really bad team for a few years and rebuild properly by acquiring multiple first round picks and drafting well with those picks 

We need that desperately to happen for us. A top 5 pick in 2023 can potentially turn into a lot more of Poles plays his cards right.

Judging by last year's draft he seems willing to trade down quite a bit