How much pressure do you feel is on Josh Allen/Bills this season?

CP3MVP

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

The thing that concerns me with the Bills is the group of offensive weapons. They have a #1 WR, and of course the offense will be good because Allen is an elite QB and we've seen him succeed with less, but how many consistent mismatches do they have? Knox has never broken out, Davis is unproven, Beasley is gone and Crowder is likely a slight downgrade. OJ Howard looked like a yearly Pro Bowler coming into the league but has never really moved the needle and will be in a timeshare. Even the Cardinals have a better offensive roster (though a vastly worse defensive roster). 

The Bills will have a good offense, and have some amazing games against bad teams, but will they be able to consistently win their one-on-one match-ups against the other great teams? And Brian Daboll is gone, so they're likely going to have to rely on guys naturally winning match-ups more frequently.

Knox is a top ten TE

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Knox is a top ten TE

That argument is built entirely on one season of a high TD output, which is a notoriously fickle stat, but even if we were to agree -

That is more of an indictment on the TE position as a whole rather than an argument for Allen having great weapons.

When your second best weapon has a career high of 587 yards and averages like 400 a season for his career, it's not particularly inspiring in pre-season.  

edit - forgot about Davis (which i shouldn't bc he owned us) so third best makes it a bit better I suppose.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

The Bills have to win the Superbowl. This franchise has been to multiple Superbowls in its history. The fanbase know how it feels to get to a Superbowl. They need to win the Superbowl.

The Bills went in the offseason and gave 100+ mil contract to a 33yr old Von Miller. They already gave Josh Allen a huge deal. They have all the pieces they need to win the Superbowl. The NFL even changed its OT playoffs rule bc of that Bills/Chiefs game. I still dont like it bc OT didnt cost the Bills the game. Them not being able to stop the Chiefs offense with 13 seconds left in regulation cost them.

Now I know the AFC is stronger than its ever been but this Bills team is essentially what the Rams team was last season. We know the Rams got the job done and are your reign defending Superbowl champs. The Bills have to do the same. If they dont win the Superbowl this season its a failure. Not saying their window will be closed bc its wide open. This roster is talented, well-coached, and have a top 3-5 QB in the NFL. But just zooming into this in particular season just based off the offseason they had plus how great Allen played in the playoffs and the defense let him down. This season is the year they have to get the job done. No excuses. The pressure is extremely high on Allen and the Bills to win the Superbowl this season. 

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Knox is a top ten TE

He hasn't broken 50 receptions in his career yet. Though he has gotten really close. But I'm not talking about nice weapons. I'm talking about the elite competing with the elite.

And while yes, Gabe Davis had an insane game against the Chiefs' defense, guys like Donte Moncrief, Dorial Green Beckham, Keke Coutee, and Tre'Quan Smith have had dominant performances in that past, as well, without ever turning into consistent contributors for their offense. 

I'm not saying the offense won't be good. I'm one of the biggest Josh Allen fans on this site, but as far as weaponry goes, I don't know if they have the same caliber of arsenal as the other top teams.

And yes, Stefon Diggs is a surefire top 10 WR, possibly top 5. One consistent weapon - even an elite one - isn't enough, though, otherwise AZ would have been just dandy last season while Hopkins missed the whole second half.

• Like 1

Knox is a top ten TE

I mean, maybe. But if he is, it's kind of from just barely being above an arbitrary cutoff. From a tiering perspective, even if he's top 10, he's probably closer to the guy at 15th than he is to the guy at 5th. He's more Dalton Schultz than he is George Kittle or Darren Waller. He's in the clump of guys clearly below the top tier of TEs. And he still may not be top 10 considering. I don't think Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Andrews, Pitts, or Gronk (if he plays) are controversial to put over him. I feel safe saying Goedert as well, despite the memes. Schultz and Gesicki were more productive last year. Hock had a down year, but even then was close to Knox. Hunter Henry had near identical production in an arguably worse environment. Ertz is still impressively productive, considering. Kmet couldn't score any TDs, but otherwise matched Knox, and it's hard to blame any Chicago receiver for not scoring much last year.

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

That argument is built entirely on one season of a high TD output, which is a notoriously fickle stat, but even if we were to agree -

That is more of an indictment on the TE position as a whole rather than an argument for Allen having great weapons.

When your second best weapon has a career high of 587 yards and averages like 400 a season for his career, it's not particularly inspiring in pre-season.  

edit - forgot about Davis (which i shouldn't bc he owned us) so third best makes it a bit better I suppose.

But we are comparing the bills roster to other teams of 2022 not Te’s or teams of the past. He’s  25 in his 4th season he’s only gonna get better.

What roster in 2022 are they clearly inferior to? 

Edited by CP3MVP

3 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

If you want to bet on him never getting better be my guest 

Most guys in their mid-20s 3 seasons into their career tend to be pretty much who they are going to be. Everyone loves to think that players will only improve with time, but leaps in year 4 as a starter aren't generally a thing.

• Like 2

AFC is pretty loaded and making the SB is difficult regardless.   Guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers went to one SB over a decade ago and never made it back, despite being top QBs all those years.

Josh Allen and the Bills are under pressure to win for sure, but not really any more pressure than any other team that has a franchise QB.

You could argue the Chiefs and Mahomes are under more pressure because the expectations for them are simply just higher because of what theyve proven.

You could argue that the Ravens and Lamar Jackson are under more pressure since Lamar has yet to do much in the postseason.

Hell, you could even argue that the Browns and Watson are under more pressure given how much they gave up to get Watson.

In reality, every team is under pressure to win the SB every year...but I dont believe the Bills and Allen have the MOST pressure on them, especially being a smaller market team.  

• Like 1

But we are comparing the bills roster to other teams of 2022 not Te’s or teams of the past. He’s  25 in his 4th season he’s only gonna get better.

What roster in 2022 are they clearly inferior to? 

The original quote was referencing concern regarding their offensive weapons, not their entire roster.

I think there are plenty of teams with better offensive weapons. Most of the reason they have an argument for best roster in football is because they have an edge at QB against most teams and arguably the best defense in football. 

People have made the point that they are the media darling currently. If they suffer a one-and-done, or another inexcusable loss in the playoffs (in terms of how they lost), then your Nick Wrights and Cowherds etc will start coming down on them. No team remains a media darling for long.

There is genuine pressure on them now, because the average expectancy is something like 12-15 wins and a deep playoff run. It doesn't get more pressurized than that, from an expectancy stand point. I don't think it's quite 'win superbowl or bust', but if they either don't get to the AFCG or lose in the AFCG, they will feel heat.

Also, it's kind of unfair but also how it works; if they have the best record in the regular season, they will become the clear fav to lift the Lombardi. This will bring genuine pressure, and it will ultimately be considered a failure if they don't go on to win it after being the best team in the league on the season. 

"Yeah man I don't think they're that good, overrated! Allen has to prove it! etc. etc." - every fan of an AFC contender or Rams fan. 

It's really not an argument worth having because we're arguing about teams on paper that haven't played a down in 2022/2023. But their D was #1 in weighted DVOA last year. Same defense then they get their all pro CB in Tre White back, Von Miller, a 1st round CB in Elam out of Florida and a bunch of rotation guys in Jordan Phillips/Shaq Lawson/Da'Quan Jones.

On offense they've ranked in the top 3 the past two seasons and that shouldn't change. The OL is shored up, Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox look like they're going to take another step forward after what they did last season, and then Diggs/Crowder/James Cook round it out. 

Then on ST they have a top 5 kicker in Bass and they drafted punt god. 

And this is coming off (3) memorable Josh Allen games to end the season last year so I think that's why there is even more hype : MNF vs Pats in 0 degree temps, scoring a TD on every drive vs the Pats in the WC, then the Mahomes/Allen battle that we all saw. In those 3 games he had 12 TDs, 0 INTs, 1150 total yards.  

However, I do believe if they don't win the SB this year there will be alot of pressure on McDermott and if he's the right guy for the job. Idt Allen cares about the pressure. 

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

The original quote was referencing concern regarding their offensive weapons, not their entire roster.

I think there are plenty of teams with better offensive weapons. Most of the reason they have an argument for best roster in football is because they have an edge at QB against most teams and arguably the best defense in football. 

I’m not saying they have the best offensive weapons(their top ten). I said they have the best overall roster. 

As you said arguably the best defense in the NFL added a HOF pass rusher to a team that’s gonna average 30 PPG