How much pressure do you feel is on Josh Allen/Bills this season?

CP3MVP

To at least make the Super Bowl?

IMO I feel like last year was the last time they could not make the Super Bowl and it would be seen as “ok” in the eyes of the national media and fans.

1.)They have far and away the best roster in the AFC and overall a case can be made in the league.

2.)The defense was number one across the board despite Tre White missing like 40% of the year and are getting him back plus Von Miller.  At worst top 3 in the league next year 

3.)Their playoff nemesis the chiefs lost their number one WR who torched them in the playoff game. Allen now has a better overall roster than Mahomes particularly skill position talent. The chiefs also play in a loaded division, there’s no reason why Buffalo shouldn’t have home field throughout. If you can’t beat KC now, when is it gonna happen?

What do you guys think, if they can’t break through this year do you think people will start to question the allen/McDermott combo?

Edited by CP3MVP

I'm already questioning them. Wildly inconsistent and their supposed #1 defense couldn't hold on for 13 seconds. Tendency to lose in tight games against the more mentally tough teams.

My assessment on the Buffalo Bills remains the same: overrated.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2

Not much on the QB imo, most people are already fawning over him/ have crowned him. I don’t anticipate that changing. 

the Bills roster is unreal right now though I think myself and a lot of fans would be pretty stunned if they didn’t at least win a playoff game. 

Yeah, it's pretty clear that if the Bills only advance to the Super Bowl but don't win it that the best course of action is to blow it all up: front office, coaching staff, Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs/injury-prone Tre White etc. and their bloated contracts. The team owes it to Devin Singletary to build a true competitor while he's still in his prime.

• Like 7

They will absolutely be criticized relentlessly if they don't make the Super Bowl, because fans are over reactionary and fickle.

But it's truthfully unfair because the margins of opportunity in making the Super Bowl are razor thin and, while they are certainly as good as anyone else on paper, there is also no reason to believe they are some unbeatable juggernaut or head and shoulders better than anyone else in the AFC.

• Like 1

I tend to think a lot of these younger teams with new great QB's that get good really early have a window of about 3-5 years to get over the hump and finally win or it becomes an issue. Brady won in his first year as a starter, Ben won in year 2 as a starter, Eli got it done 3 years in, Rodgers won in year 3 as a starter, Mahomes did it year 2 as a starter. Not a new QB but on a new team Stafford did it year 1. Even going back Aikman got his first in year 4, Montana did it in his first year Staubach did it in year 3. Kurt Warner won his second year in St Louis and the first year he started. Flacco a bit later but he won in year 5, Farve also won 5 years in his run in GB, so did Bradshaw (though that was more a Steel Curtain team and he had to wait for that to form a bit).

The real exceptions were Manning who always had a bit of an issue in the playoffs but was top 3 of all time so he was always going to get shots, Steve Young and that was a weird scenario where he started off the tail end of a dynasty and it became a bit of a narrative for a few years, and Elway who was stuck facing in NFC super teams and kinda got lucky his team had TD on his way out. 

But typically I think you generally get a grace period of a few years and then it's an issue and it becomes a bit of a mental hurdle on the team. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The real exceptions were Manning who always had a bit of an issue in the playoffs but was top 3 of all time so he was always going to get shots, Steve Young and that was a weird scenario where he started off the tail end of a dynasty and it became a bit of a narrative for a few years, and Elway who was stuck facing in NFC super teams and kinda got lucky his team had TD on his way out. 

But typically I think you generally get a grace period of a few years and then it's an issue and it becomes a bit of a mental hurdle on the team. 

Elway is the most obvious exception 

• Like 1

They really should have put their foot full throttle on the gas to get McDuffie at CB and Hall at RB rather than Elam and Cook based on projections. 

Moreso with Hall being projected to be being a game changer and slipping into the second round. And in that offense for 4-5 years would have definitely elevate that offense to near perfection. Doesn't even need a full workload with Allen back there so it'll save some injury chances. Then let him go after his rookie contract scale is up. 

• Like 1

There should be pressure but they are too liked in the media, so there will just be continued excuses made for them.

For me there is the same pressure on them as KC, Tampa, the Rams and the Packers - all five have the rosters where Super Bowl should be the expectation - but obviously only two of the five could possibly make the Super Bowl, and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to hold a team to that standard if you acknowledge they're one of about five on the same level. But that's just how I view them.

If they were to lose to next year's version of the Bengals - or really any AFC team not named the Chiefs - that's when I'd say they choked.

• Like 1

I'm sure there is already "pressure" from media and fans but neither are in line to do anything about it so it's fake pressure.

It's more about when will the front office apply pressure and that is probably dependent on when ownership applies pressure to the front office.

I'd guess everyone is safe this year even without a run.

It isn't like the Bills have owned regular seasons and surprised people with playoff losses. They have been very good in the regular season and have won a few playoff games the last two years. Not bad. I think they have met expectations but not surpassed them. It's been 11 years since Aaron Rodgers made it to a SB. No one is calling for his head (I know he has a ring and that helps but it shows that it isn't a given and not realistic to expect a SB in a season or even over 4 or 5 seasons if you aren't the dominant force in your conference and they aren't). It would indicate panic if people applied pressure after this year. People do panic though so it will probably happen.

• Like 1

Without taking anything away from the Bills (they’re as good as anyone), I’ve always found their roster to be a little overrated overall. Only in the sense that they are the hands down best roster in the AFC. 

That said, I’d say Sean’s seat starts to get just the tiniest bit warm if the Bills have an embarrassing loss in the playoffs. Can’t imagine a finish like last year’s will really move the needle on McDermott, and especially not Allen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

No more then Mahomes and the Chiefs the past few seasons. Like the two above, if they miss out it will look like a failed season. Comes with the territory of being SB favorites. 

Chiefs have been to the AFCCG 4/4 years under Mahomes including two super bowl appearances and a win. They also lost one of their biggest contributors and many folks have them in line for regression this year.

Bills are the Vegas odds favorites to win the Super Bowl and are considered by many to have the best paper roster in football. Furthermore, if the Chiefs specifically bounce them from the playoffs, the narrative of Allen being a choker gets overwhelming. 

----

Your take might be logical and reasonable in reality, but there is 0 chance that the Chiefs losing in the wildcard game after a 11-6 year will be looked at nearly as unfavorably as the Bills going 11-6 and losing in the wildcard game.

Bills absolutely have more pressure to 'succeed' because they haven't yet. 

• Like 2