How much pressure do you feel is on Josh Allen/Bills this season?

CP3MVP

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

Chiefs have been to the AFCCG 4/4 years under Mahomes including two super bowl appearances and a win. They also lost one of their biggest contributors and many folks have them in line for regression this year.

Bills are the Vegas odds favorites to win the Super Bowl and are considered by many to have the best paper roster in football. Furthermore, if the Chiefs specifically bounce them from the playoffs, the narrative of Allen being a choker gets overwhelming. 

----

Your take might be logical and reasonable in reality, but there is 0 chance that the Chiefs losing in the wildcard game after a 11-6 year will be looked at nearly as unfavorably as the Bills going 11-6 and losing in the wildcard game.

Bills absolutely have more pressure to 'succeed' because they haven't yet. 

Yeah the Chiefs have already done it. We lost the first AFCCG and then all of the sudden in 2019 there was tremendous pressure on KC to win a ring. 

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

Chiefs have been to the AFCCG 4/4 years under Mahomes including two super bowl appearances and a win. They also lost one of their biggest contributors and many folks have them in line for regression this year.

Bills are the Vegas odds favorites to win the Super Bowl and are considered by many to have the best paper roster in football. Furthermore, if the Chiefs specifically bounce them from the playoffs, the narrative of Allen being a choker gets overwhelming. 

----

Your take might be logical and reasonable in reality, but there is 0 chance that the Chiefs losing in the wildcard game after a 11-6 year will be looked at nearly as unfavorably as the Bills going 11-6 and losing in the wildcard game.

So the Chiefs/Mahomes weren't deemed by the masses the next Patriots/Brady type Dynasty in the making? Destined to win 4, 5, 6 SB Titles after they beat SF 3 years ago?

Every season from that point forward is exactly what you just described but I'll flip some words

"Chiefs are the Vegas odds favorites to win the Super Bowl and are considered by many to have the best paper roster in football. Furthermore, if the Bills specifically bounce them from the playoffs, the narrative of Mahomes being the next Aaron Rodgers over the next decade starts to get overwhelming."

Yes Allen has more pressure only because he's yet to win a SB. That's obvious or at least should be to everyone. However Mahomes has 1 SB Ring. Like Wilson, like Rodgers that narrative of being a "choker" will never apply no matter what transpires moving forward. Even if Pat only wins 1 for the remainder of his career. He's still a SB Champion!

I'm just of the opinion given what you described ("Chiefs have been to the AFCCG 4/4 years under Mahomes including two super bowl appearances and a win.") Mahomes/KC over the last 3 seasons has had every bit the expectations and pressure to get it done, ala Allen/Buff this season. That's all.

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So the Chiefs/Mahomes weren't deemed by the masses the next Patriots/Brady type Dynasty in the making? Destined to win 4, 5, 6 SB Titles after they beat SF 3 years ago?

Every season from that point forward is exactly what you just described but I'll flip some words

"Chiefs are the Vegas odds favorites to win the Super Bowl and are considered by many to have the best paper roster in football. Furthermore, if the Bills specifically bounce them from the playoffs, the narrative of Mahomes being the next Aaron Rodgers over the next decade starts to get overwhelming."

Yes Allen has more pressure only because he's yet to win a SB. That's obvious or at least should be to everyone. However Mahomes has 1 SB Ring. Like Wilson, like Rodgers that narrative of being a "choker" will never apply no matter what transpires moving forward. Even if Pat only wins 1 for the remainder of his career. He's still a SB Champion!

I'm just of the opinion given what you described ("Chiefs have been to the AFCCG 4/4 years under Mahomes including two super bowl appearances and a win.") Mahomes/KC over the last 3 seasons has had every bit the expectations and pressure to get it done, ala Allen/Buff this season. That's all.

I just think the pressure is greater when you haven't gotten it done before, as you acknowledge in paragraph 4.

Normal people don't have expectations of dynasties and, regardless, we came pretty darn close to creating one.

I certainly would think most Chiefs fans would consider 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 all successful seasons.

If we didn't go to the SB in 19 or 20 (ala the Allen/Bills situation), I think it would be considered a lot less favorably.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Elway is the most obvious exception 

Drew got it in year nine. Same with Theismann. 

Wouldn't worry about it as a fan. If Allen doesn't get there, he obviously wouldn't be the first to ride a window, and then get nothing. There will be another Tarkenton, Fouts, Moon, Kelly, Marino, and Rivers. And what's the alternative? Trade him if Allen is still balling out in his early 30's, but the Bills don't have a trophy? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't think the pressure to win multiple is ever going to be the same as the pressure to win one. No one really expects a dynasty, even as they talked about the possibility of it, but they absolutely expect great QBs and teams to win at least one. And Mahomes has already made more superbowls than Rodgers anyway, 4 years in. Everyone expects KC to regress this year, so there's honestly not really much pressure on the team now, compared to in like 2019. If KC bows out of the playoffs this year, that's kind of what most predict for the season. If Buffalo were to, say, get knocked out by KC again, you would see massive public criticism about them not being able to get over that hump.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You’d think there would be pressure on Allen to win a super bowl but there won’t be because he’s a media darling, and the media is a fickle inconsistent clown show.

im not saying there should be pressure on Allen because he’s clearly a very good QB. There is however a lack of consistency. For instance, if Lamar and Josh Allen both never won a ring  I think that would be used as a point against Lamar far more vigorously though I’d say overwhelmingly the Bills roster is more complete and built to win in the modern NFL than ours.

not trying to make a big statement or trying to get pity for my boys in purple, it is what it is. The Bills are a media darling and I don’t anticipate the NFL all the sudden coming at them if they “fail” to win a ring. In the NFL nowadays, luck is way bigger a factor in playoff success than fans generally want to admit and I wish nfl media reflected that rather than being the bipolar toxic cess pit it is becoming

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

14 hours ago, Soggust said:

----

The thing that concerns me with the Bills is the group of offensive weapons. They have a #1 WR, and of course the offense will be good because Allen is an elite QB and we've seen him succeed with less, but how many consistent mismatches do they have? Knox has never broken out, Davis is unproven, Beasley is gone and Crowder is likely a slight downgrade. OJ Howard looked like a yearly Pro Bowler coming into the league but has never really moved the needle and will be in a timeshare. Even the Cardinals have a better offensive roster (though a vastly worse defensive roster). 

The Bills will have a good offense, and have some amazing games against bad teams, but will they be able to consistently win their one-on-one match-ups against the other great teams? And Brian Daboll is gone, so they're likely going to have to rely on guys naturally winning match-ups more frequently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

You’d think there would be pressure on Allen to win a super bowl but there won’t be because he’s a media darling, and the media is a fickle inconsistent clown show.

im not saying there should be pressure on Allen because he’s clearly a very good QB. There is however a lack of consistency. For instance, if Lamar and Josh Allen both never won a ring  I think that would be used as a point against Lamar far more vigorously though I’d say overwhelmingly the Bills roster is more complete and built to win in the modern NFL than ours.

not trying to make a big statement or trying to get pity for my boys in purple, it is what it is. The Bills are a media darling and I don’t anticipate the NFL all the sudden coming at them if they “fail” to win a ring. In the NFL nowadays, luck is way bigger a factor in playoff success than fans generally want to admit and I wish nfl media reflected that rather than being the bipolar toxic cess pit it is becoming

I totally agree with the luck comment you made. Now that’s not to say each Super Bowl winner just got “lucky” but throughout the season and playoffs you typically need a bounce or 2 to go your teams way

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I totally agree with the luck comment you made. Now that’s not to say each Super Bowl winner just got “lucky” but throughout the season and playoffs you typically need a bounce or 2 to go your teams way

Damn near every team that wins a superbowl winds up incredibly healthy relative to the field at season's end. The 2015 Broncos were like historically healthy, their IR list were a few rookies not seeing snaps, a few guys who never signed for another team after 2015, and Ryan Clady. That was it. The 2019 Chiefs were basically just missing Thornhill and Ogbah (and Ogbah's absence was lessened by acquiring Suggs.) 2020 Bucs had some big injuries in year, but all of them were back when it mattered (Devin White, Vita Vea, Antonio Brown, Leonard Fournette, Antoine Winfield, and Chris Godwin all missed time, but all made the superbowl.) Last year's Rams took a couple last minute hits in Higbee and OBJ, but were otherwise very healthy. I can't honestly think of anyone missing from the 2018 Patriots squad in the superbowl.

Most superbowls absolutely require a great team and good fortune. No question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

The thing that concerns me with the Bills is the group of offensive weapons. They have a #1 WR, and of course the offense will be good because Allen is an elite QB and we've seen him succeed with less, but how many consistent mismatches do they have? Knox has never broken out, Davis is unproven, Beasley is gone and Crowder is likely a slight downgrade. OJ Howard looked like a yearly Pro Bowler coming into the league but has never really moved the needle and will be in a timeshare. Even the Cardinals have a better offensive roster (though a vastly worse defensive roster). 

The Bills will have a good offense, and have some amazing games against bad teams, but will they be able to consistently win their one-on-one match-ups against the other great teams? And Brian Daboll is gone, so they're likely going to have to rely on guys naturally winning match-ups more frequently.

I'm confused why you feel that way about their weapons.

Diggs is a top 10 WR.
Gabriel Davis is a prime breakout candidate going into his third year. We all saw what he did in their playoff game vs the Chiefs. 
Dawson Know is a monster in the RedZone.  Tied for most TDs in the league at TE. Per catch basis he's elite. 
Jamison Crowder and Cole Beasley are a wash, but Crowder is in his prime imo while Beasley was clearly on the decline. I could see Crowder having a career year tbh.
And my fellow FAU owl Devin Singletary was on fire the end of the year .