Rams extend WR Cooper Kupp (3 years, $78.5M)

RaidersAreOne

Im glad the Rams got this deal done with Kupp. Same with AD. Now the Rams can focus on bringing back OBJ.

I know the typical comments will be about where the Rams are finding all this money? The Rams are smart with how they structure contracts, they are genius with the cap situations. It also helps with you can hit on your mid to late round picks. Kupp was a 3rd round pick. The Rams literally got an All-Pro and imo currently the best receiver in the NFL for cheap. They paid him and now gave him a well-deserved raise. He couldve asked for more like Adams and Hill and honestly I wouldnt have been upset about it. He didnt though and that shows just how unselfish he is. So I think the Rams have done a great job in FA and is locked him to try and run it back this upcoming season. Im fired up. Lets go!!!

33 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I don't pretend to understand the cap but as long as they keep hitting on 3-7 round draft picks they will have a lot of flexibility?

So much this. It's one of those deals where people just don't know the players so they assume they're bad.

And it's really 2-7 for most years - starters/contributors for the playoffs on rookie deals:

Jefferson, Akers, Henderson, Hopkins, Edwards, Allen, Corbett, Gaines, Joseph-Day, Jones, Howard, Williams, Rapp, Scott, Long, Hollins

That's 16 guys who saw some significant playing time (some due to injury). Howard, Hopkins, Rapp and Long are the ones Rams fans won't be getting too excited about - but the rest were pretty damn good. Three got paid by other teams, one by us. The rest (minus Howard who we cut today to save some money) will be back on these cheap deals. Pretty sure we will be one of the youngest teams in the league again too.

46 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, Kroenke is like the 2nd richest owner, but I mean this isn't baseball where the owners/franchises with the deepest pockets can just shell out whatever they like for the top players. Every team is working within a hard cap. 

That doesn't mean there aren't stingier owners like the Bengals have been that way in the past. But, I think any team would be crazy not to pay Kupp and AD what they want, especially the latter... no offense to Cooper. Bengals are gonna be showing the money to Burrow and Chase very soon.

Yup, despite their reputation, Bengals definitely have paid their own players in the past. Same with the Chargers. They just don’t like to use the salary cap tricks that others use like the Rams.

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Will the Rams ever see the downside of these contracts? Ever?

Honestly if we won it all by paying the QB position $44 million, and considering the cap is probably going to continue to go up....no.

Obviously once Stafford and AD hang it up, a rebuild will be triggered. Doubtful any issues arise before then though.

4 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Wagners deal is really 2 years 10 million so this is pretty disingenuous

Those are total numbers. Just about every one of those deals has outs for the team and/or player before those years are up. But those are the total numbers.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

I mentioned this to @jrry32 a few months ago, but on our Rams board during that draft, the Rams either traded back or took someone else a round before (can't remember) and this dude had a full blown melt down. He really wanted the Rams to draft Kupp and wow was he right about him.

Gerald Everett

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yup, despite their reputation, Bengals definitely have paid their own players in the past. Same with the Chargers. They just don’t like to use the salary cap tricks that others use like the Rams.

There's no need to use them until you're in a short-term window.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

After living through the years between Vermeil and McVay there's a lot of us that are loving every minute of this. Lived through probably the worst 15 year run of any team ever.

Oh c'mon... just when I was on your side. No pity parties for y'all!!

shaking-head-hue-jackson.gif

Rams coaching stretch between Vermeil and McVay doesn't even compare to some of the recent stretches like the Browns.

I don't think its fair to take off the first 2 years of Martz's tenure which were 2 of the best 3 seasons with him at 10 and 14 years respectively (2003 had 12 wins) since I feel like that's cherry picking, but I did and cut it down to that 15 year stretch you mentioned from 2002 to 2016 spanning Marts to Fisher since that's what you referenced.

Those 15 years your winning percentage was .3646, but if you would've included the first 2 Martz years it would've been .4199 which ain't all that bad.

The Browns on the other hand from Romeo Crennel to Freddie Kitchens which was exactly 15 years (2005-2019) had a winning percentage of .2979!!! 

ap_steelers_browns_football_79905008.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Oh c'mon... just when I was on your side. No pity parties for y'all!!

shaking-head-hue-jackson.gif

Rams coaching stretch between Vermeil and McVay doesn't even compare to some of the recent stretches like the Browns.

I don't think its fair to take off the first 2 years of Martz's tenure which were 2 of the best 3 seasons with him at 10 and 14 years respectively (2003 had 12 wins) since I feel like that's cherry picking, but I did and cut it down to that 15 year stretch you mentioned from 2002 to 2016 spanning Marts to Fisher since that's what you referenced.

Those 15 years your winning percentage was .3646, but if you would've included the first 2 Martz years it would've been .4199 which ain't all that bad.

The Browns on the other hand from Romeo Crennel to Freddie Kitchens which was exactly 15 years (2005-2019) had a winning percentage of .2979!!! 

ap_steelers_browns_football_79905008.jpg

Yes we had a couple good years with Martz but his roster management led to the dark years. In reality is was an eleven year stretch between McVay and Martz and in those years it was an average 5-11 team (ruined by captain 7-9 Jeff Fisher). And the highest rated offense in that stretch was 21st. I empathize with other teams pain but yes those years before McVay were painful.

This is the rare deal that is fair for both sides.

Cooper gets a bunch of new money at a good average and lots of it guaranteed.

He doesn't break the bank but he's not too far from what the top guys are making.

He could wait to try to get more but what if he's just 2020 Kupp again? His leverage goes down.

The Rams get a SB hero locked up long term and they did not have to push to or near 30 million.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yes we had a couple good years with Martz but his roster management led to the dark years. In reality is was an eleven year stretch between McVay and Martz and in those years it was an average 5-11 team (ruined by captain 7-9 Jeff Fisher). And the highest rated offense in that stretch was 21st. I empathize with other teams pain but yes those years before McVay were painful.

Lmao I read his breakdown and immediately thought "Jeff Fisher even robbed us of having the worst 15 year stretch"

• Like 2

Also, this thread is reminding me of how I have often had the thought in the back of my head that I should get into sports writing, because of my passion for football like why the hell am I breaking down Rams cap moves in detail as I gloss over their pages on Spotrac. Why do I track every single friggin' Eagles move from the smaller front office changes to every contract detail to reading every single live practice update tweet from every Eagles beat reporter every day of OTAs/Training Camp? I swear to god I'm way too obsessed with the Eagles and just the NFL at large tbh. It's almost unhealthy how much football content I consume (from FF to Twitter to YouTube to Podcastst) and subsequently how much thought I put into a single sport without profiting off it in some way lol. 

But, until I do decide to possibly venture into that world..... I am extremely thankful to @Webmasterfor having this old school forum still alive and well in 2022 after all these years. I know we could all find other mediums to talk football whether it be somewhere like Twitter or Reddit, but this is BY FAR my favorite place to discuss football in-depth and I'm glad it still exists! Webby deserves his flowers.

Flower Petals GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Oh yeah, but even with how mediocre Fisher was for most of his tenure before it fell apart he still  sadly would've been an upgrade over every single one of those Browns coaches for those 15 years lol. Worst stretch had to be between Linehan and Spags, but I think if you asked most fanbases from the start of the new millenium (2000 playoffs) until now (2022 playoffs) they would take the Rams success during that time period in a heart beat over their teams, even with those mediocre to crappy years in between.

• Like 1