Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

4 hours ago, General Tso said:

What's the likelihood Levis and Richardson insert themselves into top 4 discussion.. asking for an interested party that wants Carter/Anderson to fall..

0%.  Unless some team is dumb enough to pay a fortune to move up to 3/4, which seems unlikely.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, General Tso said:

What's the likelihood Levis and Richardson insert themselves into top 4 discussion.. asking for an interested party that wants Carter/Anderson to fall..

6% in my estimation. One of them is hard enough to believe. Both going top 5 I don’t see

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, General Tso said:

If Hendon Hooker didn't have an injury, what round would he be drafted? Could he start day 1? I've read his offense is not really translatable to the NFL.

It’s so hard to project him. His injury aside, the offense he plays in is incredibly tempo-based. That means he doesn’t really have to read the defense. Tempo paralyses defensive coordinators and makes them run generic fronts/stunts/coverages all game long. Hooker has a great OC that always got them in the right plays. He basically had his hand held by his OC…which won’t really happen in the NFL. The game slows down, which makes your QB be more cerebral pre and post snap. Can Hooker do that? Maybe, but it’s a guessing game.

He has a lot of natural talent, but we’re also talking about a 25 year old rookie who should be a day 1 starter given the age. I doubt he’s ready day 1, which means this 25 year old rookie wouldn’t be ready until he was 26ish. And with his injury, who knows?

I don’t think I would draft him before r4, but I know I’m in the minority. 

• Like 1

Hendon Hooker the prospect looks like a version of Marcus Mariota to me, but much less underneath game and more reliant on a deep ball. A lot of those deep balls have receivers adjusting quite a bit so I don't know if it's an actual good trait of his or if he just has the rocket to get it down there. A big part would be his interviews to see if he understands the game beyond the scheme. I think 3-5 round with injury makes sense and probably end of first-early 3rd without.

22 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It’s so hard to project him. His injury aside, the offense he plays in is incredibly tempo-based. That means he doesn’t really have to read the defense. Tempo paralyses defensive coordinators and makes them run generic fronts/stunts/coverages all game long. Hooker has a great OC that always got them in the right plays. He basically had his hand held by his OC…which won’t really happen in the NFL. The game slows down, which makes your QB be more cerebral pre and post snap. Can Hooker do that? Maybe, but it’s a guessing game.

He has a lot of natural talent, but we’re also talking about a 25 year old rookie who should be a day 1 starter given the age. I doubt he’s ready day 1, which means this 25 year old rookie wouldn’t be ready until he was 26ish. And with his injury, who knows?

I don’t think I would draft him before r4, but I know I’m in the minority. 

Age isn't a big deal to me, except to the extent it gives a player an advantage in college. QBs play for a long time. Hooker's scheme is a legit concern, but I can't put him on a chalk board and evaluate his football IQ. I can just say that he executed that scheme at a very high level, and I liked his film a lot. I could see him surprising a lot of people and turning into a QB like Dak. I could also see him as a good backup like Jacoby Brissett. I like his skillset. The ACL is obviously a complicating factor.

Almost all spread QBs need time to learn as most spread offenses in college are one read pre-snap.  Look for the mismatch and throw it there.  Does not mean they can't make it but it generally takes longer to put in more complex plays/reads.  I think the interviews are key but teams my also take huge leaps of faith if they think the QB is a special athlete.

Hooker will need some mechanics changed as he is not very accurate on some throws.  Too many short throws to the boundary are off too much. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Almost all spread QBs need time to learn as most spread offenses in college are one read pre-snap.  Look for the mismatch and throw it there.  Does not mean they can't make it but it generally takes longer to put in more complex plays/reads.  I think the interviews are key but teams my also take huge leaps of faith if they think the QB is a special athlete.

Hooker will need some mechanics changed as he is not very accurate on some throws.  Too many short throws to the boundary are off too much. 

It’s the amount of zone they see in college. It creates a ton of RPO cheese and a ton of simple concepts that just get open vs. zone at any level. NFL teams that man up spread concepts have a ton of success. If I was facing a true NFL spread like Arizona ran, I’m blitzing your strong side, manning you up, and mudding the rush on the weak side. Teams are petrified to play man against scrambling QBs for some reason. You can stunt and blitz to force them in one direction and eliminate their open field running. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No they didn’t. They were chunking them in zone for the most part. Too many eyes on Mahomes and not the receivers running clean into holes. Kelce ripped them apart in zone. They got them in man down in the red zone.

KC's defense almost always would flush Hurts to his left which is exactly what you said.

• Like 1