Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

The coach's style of offense is neanderthal.  I have Levis lower because I do not see him putting the team on his shoulders and pulling them to a win.  I do not know why but he does not display that at Kentucky.

Scangrello was on Kyle S's 49er staff left to coach Levis, and was Josh McDaniels' OC in Denver. He's an NFL coach, even if he sucked and got fired less than a year into coaching Levis. Before (and now after, but that's irrelevant to Levis) was Liam Coen who was from McVay's staff and was McVay's OC last year.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

So few college QBs play in a pro style offense.  The offense Levis ran at Kentucky is neanderthal level compared to many others.  Most of the time, you need to take that offense into account( for any QB) and ignore stats.  So few college QBs play in a pro style offense.  That is one reason it is hard to project to the NFL for many players

Jameis Winston's Sophomore year that was a massive decline was completely ignored bc he "played in a pro style offense" and made "NFL Tight window throws" despite not playing NFL defenses on a weekly basis. 

To me this means nothing if the player isn't flawlessly executing it while making several TO worthy throws/decisions that made you ask "can this guy even read a defense?" 

With Levis - you're going to have to pick his brain. "why didn't you get rid of the ball here" is probably going to be asked several times. A lot of these exceptionally talented QB's that are claimed projects are ones that fail to do the little things right - and sometimes the little things are taking the check down when the defense gives you those 4 yards. The Football IQ standpoint to recognize when you simple 3 yard flat pass thrown with space can have the same result as a 20 yard completion (air yards). 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

My bad, I am quite dyslexic.  Still Rashada almost go $11 mil from Florida, now is getting $9.5 mil from Miami via a booster, and he has never played before.  

Top HS QBs are getting big offers, but the Rashada numbers are inflated. My understanding is that Miami's boosters offered him $6 million, which he accepted. Florida's boosters were willing to go to $7 million. But the attorney involved included a clause that would have required Florida's boosters to cover the $6 million if Miami's boosters sought to claw it back. They unsurprisingly weren't willing to do that, which is how the deal fell through. That's also where the $13 million number seems to be coming from. Still, that's massive and ridiculous money for a HS QB.

2 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Jameis Winston's Sophomore year that was a massive decline was completely ignored bc he "played in a pro style offense" and made "NFL Tight window throws" despite not playing NFL defenses on a weekly basis. 

To me this means nothing if the player isn't flawlessly executing it while making several TO worthy throws/decisions that made you ask "can this guy even read a defense?" 

With Levis - you're going to have to pick his brain. "why didn't you get rid of the ball here" is probably going to be asked several times. A lot of these exceptionally talented QB's that are claimed projects are ones that fail to do the little things right - and sometimes the little things are taking the check down when the defense gives you those 4 yards. The Football IQ standpoint to recognize when you simple 3 yard flat pass thrown with space can have the same result as a 20 yard completion (air yards). 

I need to evaluate Levis still. But casually watching him, my struggle with the guy is that he didn't seem to have high-level instincts or football IQ. I thought he lacked that situational genius you see in top QBs.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I need to evaluate Levis still. But casually watching him, my struggle with the guy is that he didn't seem to have high-level instincts or football IQ. I thought he lacked that situational genius you see in top QBs.

Same. I am a PSU alum and watched him and was always extremely dissapointed he could not take the job from Sean Clifford. And it was exactly bc of that reason. 

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

but also destroys college football in the fact it is literally just rich guys buying players for their favorite teams.  

In my eyes thats what college sports have been for decades now. NIL makes it more frequent and now out in the open though

Stetson Benenett was arrested in Dallas for public intoxication, which probably dings his potential rise off Purdy's success in the league and draft rise as a "winner". I would think if there was a team or two in the market for a mid-late round lack of tools "winner", character evaluation would be a big part and this probably shoots him, imo, to UDFA where he would need to prove himself in rookie camps.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/georgia-bulldogs-quarterback-stetson-bennett-arrested-on-public-intoxication-charge-in-dallas-police-say/287-4f0caf3c-6d7d-4c46-a1fc-535aac7638a8

Edited by Trojan

25 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Stetson Benenett was arrested in Dallas for public intoxication, which probably dings his potential rise off Purdy's success in the league and draft rise as a "winner". I would think if there was a team or two in the market for a mid-late round lack of tools "winner", character evaluation would be a big part and this probably shoots him, imo, to UDFA where he would need to prove himself in rookie camps.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/georgia-bulldogs-quarterback-stetson-bennett-arrested-on-public-intoxication-charge-in-dallas-police-say/287-4f0caf3c-6d7d-4c46-a1fc-535aac7638a8

young intoxication is common but Jesus!   His 2 national championship rings are good enough to be drafted before the irrelevant pick, anyway.

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

I doubt it matters that much. His bigger issue is that he's just not that good. 

20 hours ago, Trojan said:

Didn't stop Mayfield from going #1. Mid to late round player, doubt it moves the needle.

Just now, DM316 said:

Didn't stop Mayfield from going #1. Mid to late round player, doubt it moves the needle.

Bennett won't be impacted by that incident. He'll be impacted by being a 25/26 year old rookie without any real elite skills at the next level. I think he's a career backup type who might be a long term roster worthy player assuming the drive is there and cerebral parts are there.

• Like 1