Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If Jake Haener was a little bigger, he'd be getting a lot more hype than he is.  I think he's one of the most skilled QB's in this class.

Physically, he just doesn't have the tools that teams are going to want.  Maybe you could see him going late Day 2, but I think Day 3 is his future.

22 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Stroud is the top guy for me, depending on his play this year. I think Young is solid but he was very underwhelming in the Playoffs. I wouldn't pick him 1st overall. I do not understand the hype about Levis being the best QB in the class.

Yeah Young didn't look great without Metchie going up against Cincinnati's secondary and then Georgia got the best of him in the title game. He still flashed a ton of potential for a redshirt freshman though. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Young didn't look great without Metchie going up against Cincinnati's secondary and then Georgia got the best of him in the title game. He still flashed a ton of potential for a redshirt freshman though. 

I think Young and Stroud are borderline locks as first rounders.  TAMU and Ole Miss will make it difficult, but Bama probably rolls through almost everyone in front of them again and either wins the SEC West or comes very close and still ends with a New Years Bowl.  Young will have all the talent in the world around him, so I don't expect he'll struggle enough to shake off being a first rounder, short of a massive injury or completely falling apart.

Stroud too.  Ohio St probably competes for a playoff spot at the very least, again.  And though they just lost a ton of receiving talent, I know they've still got a ton of talented receivers.

It's the rest of the class that gets interesting IMO.  SEC is full of QBs that are an impressive performance away from first round status.  If good QB play has either Kentucky, Florida, or Tennessee overtake Georgia (even if they don't win the East), then those QBs immediately enter first round conversation.  Same with Arkansas if they pull one over on Bama, TAMU, or Ole Miss.  Hell, even Rattler at SC could get back into the conversation with a really strong year.  All those QBs except Rattler are talented athletes too, so I don't think they need much of a push to get over the edge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think Young and Stroud are borderline locks as first rounders.  TAMU and Ole Miss will make it difficult, but Bama probably rolls through almost everyone in front of them again and either wins the SEC West or comes very close and still ends with a New Years Bowl.  Young will have all the talent in the world around him, so I don't expect he'll struggle enough to shake off being a first rounder, short of a massive injury or completely falling apart.

Stroud too.  Ohio St probably competes for a playoff spot at the very least, again.  And though they just lost a ton of receiving talent, I know they've still got a ton of talented receivers.

It's the rest of the class that gets interesting IMO.  SEC is full of QBs that are an impressive performance away from first round status.  If good QB play has either Kentucky, Florida, or Tennessee overtake Georgia (even if they don't win the East), then those QBs immediately enter first round conversation.  Same with Arkansas if they pull one over on Bama, TAMU, or Ole Miss.  Hell, even Rattler at SC could get back into the conversation with a really strong year.  All those QBs except Rattler are talented athletes too, so I don't think they need much of a push to get over the edge.

I agree, I think Young and Stroud are the only two guys that are locks to go in the 1st unless something goes extremely wrong.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, THE DUKE said:

If Jake Haener was a little bigger, he'd be getting a lot more hype than he is.  I think he's one of the most skilled QB's in this class.

I LOVE Haener. Really, really enamored with that kid.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Will Anthony Richardson be a first round pick?

I think so. His physical talent is off the charts, and he looks like he can use it effectively when he gets snaps. I think had he been the starting QB at Florida (and not rotating in with Emory Jones) he’d be viewed as one of the top 3 guys.

We’ll see what he does as the primary QB.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think so. His physical talent is off the charts, and he looks like he can use it effectively when he gets snaps. I think had he been the starting QB at Florida (and not rotating in with Emory Jones) he’d be viewed as one of the top 3 guys.

We’ll see what he does as the primary QB.

Richardson definitely has the tools, not convinced on the skill yet.

Cameron Rising is a guy with zero hype, but I'll be pulling for him to look like at least a 3rd rounder, since he went to HS about 10 minutes from where I live. Was a 4 star, so he's got talent, and had a decent soph season for Utah, but not the biggest arm. Hopefully he looks good.

Phil Jurkovec has all the tools, but is a lot like Carson Wentz with the Eagles in that most of his good plays seem to be broken plays, and he's fairly average when actually playing within the structure of the offense. I want him to see him just stand in the pocket, go through his reads, and fire accurate darts more often- like Devin Leary. Hopefully his wrist injury is totally behind him too because it was obviously impacting him last year. And Zay Flowers deserves better deep balls. His tool set is basically NDSU Wentz, although Jurk might be a little faster.

Van Dyke is the guy I currently assume will be QB3 behind Young/Stroud (and yes I take Young over Stroud, but damn he is small)

Edited by Jeezla