Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd actually argue the other way.  Teams are less inclined to move up for their QB.  They'll do small move ups, but they seem less inclined to sell the farm to mak ea move up the board.

I'm curious as to what would make you feel that way? 

Last season I agree.. an example of a trade for a QB last season: 

Matt Coral: 94 for 137 and a future 3rd

But 2 seasons ago: 

Trey Lance: 3 for 12, 2 future 1sts and a future 3rd 

Justin Fields: 7 for 21, a future 1st and future 4th

I'd say those teams traded a lot to move up. 

Also, for clarification.. I don't believe teams will trade up this draft. I believe teams in the top 10 will simply overdraft Levis/Richardson. The Colts already have the 4th pick and the Lions already have the 6th pick.. I don't believe they need to move up, they can just take those guys straight up. Would I do it? Nope.. but I think Irsay will want to make a splash and Detroit will believe they can let them sit for 2 years behind Goff .. as well as be able to take the risk due to having another 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I don’t think they’re out on Willis but I don’t think they’re necessarily in on him either, if that makes sense. 

Playing Dobbs told me all I really needed to think about what they're probably thinking. Willis wasn't hurt right?

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Playing Dobbs told me all I really needed to think about what they're probably thinking. Willis wasn't hurt right?

Playing Dobbs said that they do not trust their 3rd round project QB to win a game even after a season to work.  Willis is boom/bust and needs a lot of work.  Could they draft another QB is year?  Sure.  I expect them too unless they make a play for Carr.  I do not expect them to move up to get a QB in the 1st but new GM...

Edited by jebrick

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This guy runs the main NIL "program" (not sure what to call it) out of Columbus. This is getting interesting

Has a guy projected top 5 pick in the draft ever returned to play college football recently?  I would say no.

And next year is CJ Stroud better than Caleb Williams and Drake Maye?  Not sure about that but he has more competition against those two then Bryce Young who is just one dude and when Young is picked over Stroud, Stroud will still be a top 5 pick most likely.  

The dude did lose three starting offensive lineman so that is going to be a big change if he does come back.

Would make a crazy deep 2024 QB class even deeper.  

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Has a guy projected top 5 pick in the draft ever returned to play college football recently?  I would say no.

And next year is CJ Stroud better than Caleb Williams and Drake Maye?  Not sure about that but he has more competition against those two then Bryce Young who is just one dude and when Young is picked over Stroud, Stroud will still be a top 5 pick most likely.  

The dude did lose three starting offensive lineman so that is going to be a big change if he does come back.

Would make a crazy deep 2024 QB class even deeper.  

I'm not sure if anyone has but yeah, I'd bet it very rare. With the NIL bring king though, things are different. I'd still be shocked if he stays but there is definitely smoke

7 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has but yeah, I'd bet it very rare. With the NIL bring king though, things are different. I'd still be shocked if he stays but there is definitely smoke

Agreed NIL changes it all, now a top QB can earn what around $1 million or more ontop of the free education/medical/food/housing from college.  But there is a Joe Burrow effect, all these guys I think deep down think they will blow up next year and be some top pick.  

Maybe that could happen to the dudes below but will any of them get drafted over Caleb Williams or Drake Maye?  I doubt it, and they could have started their NFL careers but all decided to return.  

Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Bo Nix Oregon RS
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS

These guys all probably needed more time to develop and improve but it is just a massive list and again I doubt they will over take Williams or Maye.

Jordan Travis Florida State RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Cameron Rising Utah RS JR
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State

The NFL had multiple backup QBs and two 3rd string QBs start in playoff games and all of them were pretty solid and successful in those games.  Almost had three 3rd stringers if Huntley did not play for the Ravens.  Still it is clearly easier to play QB with how the game is played now and how they cannot be hit like they once were.  All these guys especially the top list could have done what those backups did in a playoff setting.  So why return?  The money is big reason obviously.

By the way NIL deals are honestly millionaire boosters just buying players right.  Of course they have companies and can tie it to that but really it is just super rich dudes buying players for their teams.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No QB since Andrew Luck.

There's been a few guys who may have gone top 5 who went back for another year like Derrick Brown a few years back...but its rare.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

No QB since Andrew Luck.

There's been a few guys who may have gone top 5 who went back for another year like Derrick Brown a few years back...but its rare.

But Luck had a redshirt year didn't he, and at the time it was not super common for a RS SOPH to declare and succeed because of lack of starts?  Obviously not is not the case anymore.

Derrick Brown I guess he could be one also as well.  Forgot about those two guys.  

I guess looking back more I recall Eli Manning waited till his RS SR year to declare.  I had that he should declare potentially as a RS SOPH and RS JR.  

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

But Luck had a redshirt year didn't he, and at the time it was not super common for a RS SOPH to declare and succeed because of lack of starts?  Obviously not is not the case anymore.

Derrick Brown I guess he could be one also as well.  Forgot about those two guys.  

I guess looking back more I recall Eli Manning waited till his RS SR year to declare.  I had that he should declare potentially as a RS SOPH and RS JR.  

You're definitely right in that he would have been an outlier at that time to come out when he did.

Its happened, but its very rare.  I dont think we will see that change even with NIL deals, but I do think NIL will effect the later round guys.  If you're a projected 4th or 5th round pick, theres a strong argument to take the NIL money instead of a nonguaranteed contract 

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

You're definitely right in that he would have been an outlier at that time to come out when he did.

Its happened, but its very rare.  I dont think we will see that change even with NIL deals, but I do think NIL will effect the later round guys.  If you're a projected 4th or 5th round pick, theres a strong argument to take the NIL money instead of a nonguaranteed contract 

Maybe but NFL coaching is better than college football coaching, so if one wants to improve it is a matter of can you really get that much better in college football by playing another year or not.  Sadly the NFL has no minor league really so in a way yes it is better to play than to sit on the bench in the NFL, but a lot of guys can play in the right situation and earn the contract later.

Then again NFL teams can totally rip a dude off if they are a late round pick or UDFA and they are literally starting of them yet still get paid very little.

At QB though there are only so many positions open, so waiting and joining that totally crazy deep 2024 QB class, not sure that is a great idea when the middle rounds in this QB class is pretty weak considering all the guys who returned to school.  

The Saints, Commanders, Bengals, Vikings, Raiders etc all could be looking for a starting QB or more likely a backup type QB and they will fill those spots with a QB in the 2023 Draft potentially.  Some of the dudes that returned to school that could have been those picks.  

Jaren Hall, Max Duggan, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Adian O'Connell, Joe Milton and Sean Clifford will benefit from all those QBs returning to school when honestly outside of probably Duggan and maybe Hall those dudes might not have been drafted and now have a much better chance of it happening.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but NFL coaching is better than college football coaching, so if one wants to improve it is a matter of can you really get that much better in college football by playing another year or not.  Sadly the NFL has no minor league really so in a way yes it is better to play than to sit on the bench in the NFL, but a lot of guys can play in the right situation and earn the contract later.

Then again NFL teams can totally rip a dude off if they are a late round pick or UDFA and they are literally starting of them yet still get paid very little.

At QB though there are only so many positions open, so waiting and joining that totally crazy deep 2024 QB class, not sure that is a great idea when the middle rounds in this QB class is pretty weak considering all the guys who returned to school.  

The Saints, Commanders, Bengals, Vikings, Raiders etc all could be looking for a starting QB or more likely a backup type QB and they will fill those spots with a QB in the 2023 Draft potentially.  Some of the dudes that returned to school that could have been those picks.  

Jaren Hall, Max Duggan, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Adian O'Connell, Joe Milton and Sean Clifford will benefit from all those QBs returning to school when honestly outside of probably Duggan and maybe Hall those dudes might not have been drafted and now have a much better chance of it happening.

Uh huh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Uh huh

They sold on Brandon Allen being the all time backup?  If so then yeah but I would not be totally sold on that, especially in the later rounds if a QB is there.  Not to mention his contract is up and is a free agent in 2023.