Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Kyler was just short.  Bryce is small.  And there's a big difference.

But yeah, Bryce is also way more talented than Kyler was IMO, and if he were 20 lbs heavier, he'd be a no brainer first overall, even with the height.  I'm sure some teams will think durability isn't a concern, and others will just take him out of first round consideration altogether, it's just a question of how many fall into each camp.

Kyler is 200 lbs soaking wet, I don't care what any official listing says. 

Bryce Young >>>> Kyler Murray every day of the week.

In today's NFL, I think a QB's health is more tied to their pocket presence and knowing when to slide/avoid big hits than anything else.

Obviously having more size will typically help in terms of taking certain inevitable hits, but I don't see it being as much of a nonstarter for most teams.

And Bryce checks every other box imo.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I know he got sacked a lot and that counts against his rush yards. What I am wondering about is why we didn’t see him run this season?

From what I remember there were quite a few moments watching him where it seemed like he should have but made no attempt to.

If someone can run, as the clips posted earlier show, why didn’t he?

He had several injuries throughout the year that he battled through. I think that played into his lack of running. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Kyler is 200 lbs soaking wet, I don't care what any official listing says. 

Bryce Young >>>> Kyler Murray every day of the week.

Kyler is closer to a tree stump than he looks.  When he’s not voluntarily going down he can shed dudes way bigger than him.

I have seen Young listed weight between 187 and 194.  I will be interested on his pro-day measurements ( as I assume he is not doing the combine).  I am guessing 5'10-5'11 and 190.

If he is unlucky, he will get a coach that does not unitize him correct and has a short career because of the pounding he will take.

Edited by jebrick

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Young I have seen Young listed weight between 187 and 194.  I will be interested on his pro-day measurements ( as I assume he is not doing the combine).  I am guessing 5'10-5'11 and 190.

If he is unlucky, he will get a coach that does not unitize him correct and has a short career because of the pounding he will take.

No way a team uses Bryce Young as a running QB, of course he can scramble at times if it opens up, but absolutely no way would someone use him in zone read stuff or as a QB heavy run system like the Bears, Ravens or Eagles.  He cannot take that type of pounding, but his vision is far superior to Hurts, Fields and maybe even Lamar Jackson as well.  

The size will hurt him but he has such a good feel for the game and prepares so well he will make up for it.  

I saw hype for Tyler Bagent online and saw his senior bowl invite, found a game to watch and was not at all impressed. I watched him in an interview and he came across well, but he better ball at the Senior Bowl to even have a camp invite imo. He looks to have plus velocity though. Looks like his best option is like 5'6" off the one game I saw, and one pass sailed a good foot over his head on a fast screen lol.

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

Young I have seen Young listed weight between 187 and 194.  I will be interested on his pro-day measurements ( as I assume he is not doing the combine).  I am guessing 5'10-5'11 and 190.

He's listed at 6', but pics of him and Stetson (listed 5' 11") make Stetson look taller. Think he's closer to 5'9" - 5' 10" (as you mentioned). I also am interested at what he measures at. Talent is not the question with him obviously, agree he could shine despite his size if in the correct system/coaching.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No way a team uses Bryce Young as a running QB, of course he can scramble at times if it opens up, but absolutely no way would someone use him in zone read stuff or as a QB heavy run system like the Bears, Ravens or Eagles.  He cannot take that type of pounding, but his vision is far superior to Hurts, Fields and maybe even Lamar Jackson as well.  

The size will hurt him but he has such a good feel for the game and prepares so well he will make up for it.  

So you are saying that there are not Head Coaches who have a way of doing things that they will not change for a rookie?

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So you are saying that there are not Head Coaches who have a way of doing things that they will not change for a rookie?

I am saying a team like the Ravens would never draft Young if they want to continue that current system of offensive playcalling.  All the QBs on that roster, when they had McSorley he could run well, they have Anthony Brown who can run the football, Huntley who can also run the football if asked and obviously Lamar Jackson.  Many teams in the league have a QB run game be a major part of the offense, could add the Giants to that with Daniel Jones.  At Young's size he is obviously not going to run QB power plays or QB sweep plays to gain yards consistently and no smart coach would put him in that situation, that is not his game and if they think it is they are incorrect.  

On 1/12/2023 at 9:30 AM, Danger said:

If teams drafted Kyler Murray and Tua in the top 5, Bryce Young will absolutely be drafted top 5.

Murray at the combine had almost 20 lbs on Young's listed weight, which I have doubts about.  Tua almost 30.  I'm bothered much more about this than I am his height.

18 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Murray at the combine had almost 20 lbs on Young's listed weight, which I have doubts about.  Tua almost 30.  I'm bothered much more about this than I am his height.

Russell Wilson and Drew Brees made it work but both went on day 2.  Doug Flutie made it work.  All of that is height.  I do agree that the slight build may give him more issues than the height.