Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Stroud also had games this year where he was very inconsistent.

Point being that right now, all 3 of those QBs would be legitimately jockeying for top spot in the 2024 draft if they all declared for it.  So Stroud would have more competition than just Bryce.

I think Stroud is the #1 QB in this class - not to knock Bryce. Probably the only two i'd rely on making it as starters in this league. 

4 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I think Stroud is the #1 QB in this class - not to knock Bryce. Probably the only two i'd rely on making it as starters in this league. 

I can easily see how someone could have either QB #1.  Both are very good prospects.

And yeah, I have those two, then a big gap.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I can easily see how someone could have either QB #1.  Both are very good prospects.

And yeah, I have those two, then a big gap.

I saw somewhere that the Vegas odds are increasing on Will Levis potentially going top 3 and being the #1 QB. I honestly am puzzled. As a penn state alum and fan - there was nothing to like about him as a QB. Yeah his arm talent, release, and athleticism was lovely. But even at Kentucky - he never diced up a defense with his arm. He was always honing in on one read. I honestly don't know how some NFL talent evaluators and decision makers don't look at past guys who have failed with the same jaw dropping skills but lack the fundamentals and football IQ/awareness as a QB and take that risk so high in the draft. 

Like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan going for Trey Lance - trading that much draft capital for a guy who played 1 year of D1 AA ball over Justin Fields. Same with the Jets and Zach wilson. Heck - JT O'sullivan did a whole QB series on the entire 2021 class and was harping on the flaws of Zach Wilson the most that did not translate and the jets still made that decision lol .

Taking Anthony Richardson and Will Levis are MASSIVE RISKS anywhere in round 1. Especially when there is some words going around the league that have Levis going ahead of Stroud or worse, both Young and Stroud. 

11 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I saw somewhere that the Vegas odds are increasing on Will Levis potentially going top 3 and being the #1 QB. I honestly am puzzled. As a penn state alum and fan - there was nothing to like about him as a QB. Yeah his arm talent, release, and athleticism was lovely. But even at Kentucky - he never diced up a defense with his arm. He was always honing in on one read. I honestly don't know how some NFL talent evaluators and decision makers don't look at past guys who have failed with the same jaw dropping skills but lack the fundamentals and football IQ/awareness as a QB and take that risk so high in the draft. 

Like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan going for Trey Lance - trading that much draft capital for a guy who played 1 year of D1 AA ball over Justin Fields. Same with the Jets and Zach wilson. Heck - JT O'sullivan did a whole QB series on the entire 2021 class and was harping on the flaws of Zach Wilson the most that did not translate and the jets still made that decision lol .

Taking Anthony Richardson and Will Levis are MASSIVE RISKS anywhere in round 1. Especially when there is some words going around the league that have Levis going ahead of Stroud or worse, both Young and Stroud. 

I was reading similar things and everything is projection with him. They see what Josh Allen has become and say "we can wait 3 years for that" as if it's automatic that he will get that good if you give him enough time. He's pretty turnover prone from what I recall... so you're going to need a Brian Daboll level coach attached to his hip for 3 years for him to realize his potential. 

The biggest projection I am seeing is that it's expected that an NFL team will run him a lot more. It's great that he can run and is a strong guy, but I wouldn't build my offense around him running 50+ yards a game. Josh Allen takes a lot of hits during his runs, same with Lamar Jackson.. can Levis take that many hits without getting injured? Who knows. From the few games I've watched, he's actually been pretty accurate out of the pocket. So if the plan is to run him a lot maybe he can dominate teams with backyard football? 

With Regards to him being a top pick in the draft, I think it's highly likely Levis and Richardson go top 10

• I don't see Houston wanting him, I think Caserio is pretty locked in on Young.
  • I could totally see the Colts making him the #2 QB though .. I feel like Jim Irsay is going to want a flashy QB with enormous potential and just assume the coach he picks can bring it out of him. Levis/Richardson have a high probability of shooting up to #4 after the combine imo. 
  • I actually believe Detriot when they say they love Goff. They had a great offense this year, even though the Patriots turned Goff back into a pumpkin. I could see them taking Levis/Richardson and letting them sit for 2 years instead of taking someone like Stroud who may be more ready to start day 1
  • Raiders are a wild card.. McDaniels could believe in himself to bring the best out of him or he could go the safe route and avoid the boom/bust QB's all together. I personally believe he's going after Brady with the backup of overpaying for Mac Jones in a trade to try and avoid getting fired after year 2. 

12 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I was reading similar things and everything is projection with him. They see what Josh Allen has become and say "we can wait 3 years for that" as if it's automatic that he will get that good if you give him enough time. He's pretty turnover prone from what I recall... so you're going to need a Brian Daboll level coach attached to his hip for 3 years for him to realize his potential. 

The biggest projection I am seeing is that it's expected that an NFL team will run him a lot more. It's great that he can run and is a strong guy, but I wouldn't build my offense around him running 50+ yards a game. Josh Allen takes a lot of hits during his runs, same with Lamar Jackson.. can Levis take that many hits without getting injured? Who knows. From the few games I've watched, he's actually been pretty accurate out of the pocket. So if the plan is to run him a lot maybe he can dominate teams with backyard football? 

With Regards to him being a top pick in the draft, I think it's highly likely Levis and Richardson go top 10

• I don't see Houston wanting him, I think Caserio is pretty locked in on Young.
  • I could totally see the Colts making him the #2 QB though .. I feel like Jim Irsay is going to want a flashy QB with enormous potential and just assume the coach he picks can bring it out of him. Levis/Richardson have a high probability of shooting up to #4 after the combine imo. 
  • I actually believe Detriot when they say they love Goff. They had a great offense this year, even though the Patriots turned Goff back into a pumpkin. I could see them taking Levis/Richardson and letting them sit for 2 years instead of taking someone like Stroud who may be more ready to start day 1
  • Raiders are a wild card.. McDaniels could believe in himself to bring the best out of him or he could go the safe route and avoid the boom/bust QB's all together. I personally believe he's going after Brady with the backup of overpaying for Mac Jones in a trade to try and avoid getting fired after year 2. 

The differences are Josh Allen was a gun slinger. Levis holds on the ball too long to be considered one and too hesitant. 

I mean yeah - I don't think Levis had the proper coaching to develop and hone the skill set he has but he also didn't display particulary good feel in the pocket nor see the field well enough considering holding onto the ball staring down those targets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

The differences are Josh Allen was a gun slinger. Levis holds on the ball too long to be considered one and too hesitant. 

I mean yeah - I don't think Levis had the proper coaching to develop and hone the skill set he has but he also didn't display particulary good feel in the pocket nor see the field well enough considering holding onto the ball staring down those targets. 

Levis reminds me of College Brett Farve in everything but his ability/wanting to put a team on his back to win.

Like Farve I think he should go in the 2nd round but....

Edited by jebrick

So is there any chance that once it’s all said and done and we go through the draft process, Stroud and Levis are picked above Young and he falls outside the top 5? Will NFL teams overthink and overreact to his measurements?

-Sincerely,

A Titans fan who hopes he falls far enough to either be at our pick or far enough where we can trade up for him.

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

So is there any chance that once it’s all said and done and we go through the draft process, Stroud and Levis are picked above Young and he falls outside the top 5? Will NFL teams overthink and overreact to his measurements?

-Sincerely,

A Titans fan who hopes he falls far enough to either be at our pick or far enough where we can trade up for him.

I think Bryce Young's floor in the draft is the 5th pick. 
I think the Seahawks will draft a QB and if Bryce Young is there they would pick him. 
But if I had to guess I'd say that Young goes to Houston and is the first QB taken. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

-Sincerely,

I think it's entirely possible that one of Young/Stroud "falls" outside of the top 5. 

Levis/Richardson feel like guys who could fly up teams boards around combine/pro day season. Team will convince themselves that they can get those guys to reach their full potential. Unfortunately, those guys are lottery tickets and likely to get a GM fired. 

I don't think Young gets past the Texans. Caserio is a BB disciple so will have an affinity for Alabama and Saban is going to talk up Young to everyone who will listen. Assuming Stroud declares for the draft, I believe he's the guy who could go later than expected. 

Houston takes Young

Colts take Levis / Richardson (Irsay seems like a big boom/bust type of guy)

Detroit either sticks with Goff or Levis / Richardson to sit behind Goff for 1-2 years (They can afford to develop a guy with Goff signed for 2 more years)

Raiders then either take Stroud or trade him. The wild card there would be the Patriots, if they are out on Mac Jones .. I could see them trading Mac Jones + 14 for 7 to take Stroud. McDaniels will have pressure to get into the playoffs to avoid getting fired, loves Mac and won't want to wait for a rookie to develop. Not saying it's a good idea but I could easily see it happening. 

Titans would need to trade with Seattle/Arizona to get a top QB. I didn't see many Titans games, are they out on Willis already? I always assumed he needed 2 years before even considering starting him, surprised if they trade up for another QB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Titans would need to trade with Seattle/Arizona to get a top QB. I didn't see many Titans games, are they out on Willis already? I always assumed he needed 2 years before even considering starting him, surprised if they trade up for another QB.

I don’t think they’re out on Willis but I don’t think they’re necessarily in on him either, if that makes sense. If a QB is there that they love, I don’t think they’ll hesitate to pick him or even trade up for him. Especially considering we’ll have a new GM.

8 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I don’t think they’re out on Willis but I don’t think they’re necessarily in on him either, if that makes sense. If a QB is there that they love, I don’t think they’ll hesitate to pick him or even trade up for him. Especially considering we’ll have a new GM.

Very true, new GM and new OC will likely push to get their own guy in the building. I think as soon as the new GM is hired you should have an idea, if he's someone who is aggressive by nature they will probably be willing to swing a big trade and go for a guy.. otherwise they likely play it safe

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are we already in the Malik Willis will be a top 10 pick part of the draft process?

Unfortunately, yes.

I'll always bet on a GM grabbing a lottery ticket to save their job. We have too many examples of qbs going higher than they should because of potential. Last season felt like an anomaly .. but I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Unfortunately, yes.

I'll always bet on a GM grabbing a lottery ticket to save their job. We have too many examples of qbs going higher than they should because of potential. Last season felt like an anomaly .. but I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️ 

I'd actually argue the other way.  Teams are less inclined to move up for their QB.  They'll do small move ups, but they seem less inclined to sell the farm to mak ea move up the board.