Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

So many teams need a QB that Levis, Richardson and Hooker could all go in the 1st. 

I like Levis but I think he should go in the late 1st early 2nd.

Stroud and Young are the top 2 but Young has the smalls ( which might scare teams).

Chicago could get a huge haul from the #2 pick.  Houston could trade out of the #1 pick for a big haul. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

So many teams need a QB that Levis, Richardson and Hooker could all go in the 1st. 

I like Levis but I think he should go in the late 1st early 2nd.

Stroud and Young are the top 2 but Young has the smalls ( which might scare teams).

Chicago could get a huge haul from the #2 pick.  Houston could trade out of the #1 pick for a big haul. 

For Chicago, it may be a great piece of business if the right offer comes. For Houston, their fan base might riot if they trade out of that pick with a choice of Stroud/Young right there for them.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

For Chicago, it may be a great piece of business if the right offer comes. For Houston, their fan base might riot if they trade out of that pick with a choice of Stroud/Young right there for them.

Understood but If Houston gets Stroud or Young, does that really help them?  They are a pretty bad team.  I would think it is like Tim Couch to the Browns.  Do they trust their FO enough to build a team for a QB

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Understood but If Houston gets Stroud or Young, does that really help them?  They are a pretty bad team.  I would think it is like Tim Couch to the Browns.  Do they trust their FO enough to build a team for a QB

Any way you slice it Houston has a massive rebuild ahead of them, but you can’t pass on a potential franchise QB even if the roster sucks. The Jaguars were a dumpster fire when they drafted Lawrence last year, but it seems they are on the right path now that they have their QB

On 12/29/2022 at 10:04 AM, Superduperman said:

I don't know why KJ Jefferson is staying in school, I'd take him ahead of Richardson in a second 

Unless I have a literal QB Wizard as my head coach, I'm not taking either.

But Richardson's potential is better than KJ's.

Stroud and Young are the only 2 that have shown NFL level skills week in and week out. Both are high floor/high ceiling players.   Young's problem can't be fixed in the off season but perhaps he can be Russell Wilson 2.0

Levis and Richardson are maybe QBs.  Maybe they turn out decent.  Maybe they will learn better mechanics or grow some balls.  Both are low floor high ceiling players.

Hooker worries me because of that offense Tenn runs.  It is why I rate their Wr lower.  Hard to judge the translation into the NFL.

After that I am not seeing anyone with a potential high ceiling for the Qbs in this draft.  Of course, someone will surprise because they often do and I am often wrong :-) 

Young is the only QB I see becoming elite. More likely he will be a 5-8 type of guy. He can survive a rebuild in the god-awful Texans organization and give them hope.

Stroud, I just don't see it. I don't hate his game, but I think too often he leans on the best WR group in the nation playing against the slow Big 10. That advantages will obviously be gone in the NFL. We've seen how hard that adjustment is to a guy like Fields, or Haskins, or JT Barrett, or any other Ohio State QB in the past 20 years. Best fit is probably somewhere like Vegas or Carolina.

Levis is a bum. He's the next Kyle Boller, Zach Wilson, Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker, etc. When the most impressive part of your draft profile is how you play without pads on, you are not good. The Raiders will probably trade up to pick him at #2 overall.

Richardson is Jekyll and Hyde. He's so good when he's not ****ty. If you just looked at his highlights, you'd say he's the Number 1 pick. If you just looked at a few of his games on tape, you'd say he's undraftable. If he goes to a team with a good offensive mind, and he doesn't need to start for a year, he can be great. If he has to play right away, he has absolutely 0 chance of being successful. Maybe Atlanta, Seattle, Washington? IDK. A lot has to go right here.

Hooker is Kenny Pickett++. High floor, somewhat low ceiling, and can be a solid starter for a team that needs one. Jets might be a good fit.

Stetson Bennett will be a backup that you forget is in the league every single year for the next 10 years until he has to come in and do some cool **** every once in a while. Or he'll be selling cars at "Stetson Bennett Kia" in Athens.

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

No lie, I can hear this commercial in my head. It just fits so well.

True but someone in the late rounds will take him, just like Brock Purdy people made fun of him coming up to the draft and now look at him.  Bennett could be a similar decent backup type in the league in the right situation and if not for sure could sell some cars and basically do anything he wants in Athens, probably would be a QB coach on Georgia for the rest of his life.

And considering all these guys returned to school that does make the QB class far less deep and talented.  Even a guy like Joe Milton III, my guess is he gets drafted in the late rounds because the dude has sick arm talent and is better than the lower end QBs because once more all these guys did not declare for the draft.

Bo Nix Oregon 
Michael Penix Jr Washington 
Jordan Travis Florida State 
Sam Hartman NA
Devin Leary Kentucky 
Jayden Daniels LSU 
KJ Jefferson Arkansas 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina 
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland 
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Brennan Armstrong NA RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS

In terms of the later round QBs, I would put them this way, Bennett could be overtaken by Clifford but all depends I guess, O'Connell has a chance but was odd he sat out that bowl game, I guess the coach did leave.  Tune has a chance but is more likely a UDFA.  

Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS SR
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS SR
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS SR
Sean Clifford Penn State RS SR
Aidan O'Connell Purdue SR
Clayton Tune Houston RS SR
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS SR

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm not totally sold on Stroud as an NFL QB, but I 100% take him over Young.  Under no circumstance am I taking a 180 lb QB in Today's NFL in rd 1.  I'd be hesitant about rd 2 as well.

Well, the Bengals have Burrow, so you'll be fine. But Young isn't a 180 pound QB, and I think this is the wrong way to evaluate players. But you're likely not alone in thinking that way.

What is for sure is that Bryce Young is the best pound-for-pound QB in the draft. 
Now will that lack of weight be a factor? A little bit, but it shouldn't be the end of all. 
The guy's the best QB in the draft, height and weight be damned. 
Stroud was excellent in the semi-final but I'd still take Young before him. 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:08 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

Young is the only QB I see becoming elite. More likely he will be a 5-8 type of guy. He can survive a rebuild in the god-awful Texans organization and give them hope.

Stroud, I just don't see it. I don't hate his game, but I think too often he leans on the best WR group in the nation playing against the slow Big 10. That advantages will obviously be gone in the NFL. We've seen how hard that adjustment is to a guy like Fields, or Haskins, or JT Barrett, or any other Ohio State QB in the past 20 years. Best fit is probably somewhere like Vegas or Carolina.

Levis is a bum. He's the next Kyle Boller, Zach Wilson, Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker, etc. When the most impressive part of your draft profile is how you play without pads on, you are not good. The Raiders will probably trade up to pick him at #2 overall.

Richardson is Jekyll and Hyde. He's so good when he's not ****ty. If you just looked at his highlights, you'd say he's the Number 1 pick. If you just looked at a few of his games on tape, you'd say he's undraftable. If he goes to a team with a good offensive mind, and he doesn't need to start for a year, he can be great. If he has to play right away, he has absolutely 0 chance of being successful. Maybe Atlanta, Seattle, Washington? IDK. A lot has to go right here.

Hooker is Kenny Pickett++. High floor, somewhat low ceiling, and can be a solid starter for a team that needs one. Jets might be a good fit.

Stetson Bennett will be a backup that you forget is in the league every single year for the next 10 years until he has to come in and do some cool **** every once in a while. Or he'll be selling cars at "Stetson Bennett Kia" in Athens.

Stetson Bennett is destined to be the Bengals' backup.  As for the car thing, both he and Joey B can have Athens car lots, seeing how Joe is from Athens, OH