Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

27 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Which is why I said he’ll benefit from NFL coaching much like Allen and Jackson did. 

He’s also more likely to get a FO/Staff fired than he is to actually pan out. I’m not a QB guru or anything but I’ve watched every one of his games and the dude sucks. 

Dude sucks compared to what?  That Florida team has pretty suspect WRs, none of them are even close to being 1st round picks and it is clearly a run 1st football team.  Maybe Shorter will be drafted who knows and maybe Pearsall next year but that might be it.  Have some decent backs but the TEs are 7th round draft picks or UDFAs at best and outside of Torrence not sure any of those OL are great pro prospects either.  So the talent around him is pretty suspect, imagine what Richardson would look like in an offense with weapons around him.  

So do you dislike the guy as a Florida fan and the Florida team did not achieve expectations or your expectations of Richardson were so high anything outside of 100 yards rushing and 300 passing was a disappointment?  The dude can sling the football, makes mistakes for the football but for his first and only real time as a full time starter I thought he did decent enough.  Sure is a massive work in progress but at a Pro day workout I think he could kill it with his arm talent, it is so effortless for him and got to love that size and athletic ability.  

The dude can do this for crying out loud!  Sure what Tyreek Hill could maybe do that in the NFL, and he is not 6-4 235!  

Nobody doubts that Richardson is a freak athlete. He has a rocket for an arm, likely runs a 4.5 40, and is a strong dude at 6'4" 235. The problem is that he isn't accurate (terrible lower body mechanics), mentally falls apart when he struggles, gets nicked up with injuries way too often, and wasn't a very willing runner this year.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Noted. If I need a QB to pull off a backflip next year, Richardson is my guy.

It speaks to his athletic ability overall, that is it.  Again possibly Tyreek Hill can do such a thing but in terms of a guy that physically large being able to do that in the NFL, not sure anyone could pull it off.  Sure that does mean a ton but shows rare athletic ability and he clearly has rare arm talent with how effortlessly he throws the football.

Yes he could bust in the NFL but put him on Ohio State with that offensive line, those RBs and those WRs, do not pretend he would look a hell of a lot better than he did on Florida.  Pretty sure the NFL has talent but yeah he could go into an awful situation where he is the starter from day one, but put him around a solid group where he can learn and develop, kid could be awesome.

Anthony Richardson stats at Florida first year starting in the SEC.

176-327 53.5%, 2549 yards, 7.8 average with 17 TDs and 9 INTs and sacked 14 times

103 rushes, 654 yards, 6.3 per rush and 9 TDs

Josh Allen's stats last year at Wyoming

152-270 56.3%, 1812 yards, 6.7 average with 16 TDs and 6 INTs and sacked 22 times

92 rushes, 204 yards, 2.2 average with 5 TDs

Richardson does not have the arm talent Josh Allen has and is not as big or as good throwing on the move but Richardson did play in the SEC against much better competition.  If his processing improves like Allen's did in the NFL the dude could do some damage.  

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It speaks to his athletic ability overall, that is it.  Again possibly Tyreek Hill can do such a thing but in terms of a guy that physically large being able to do that in the NFL, not sure anyone could pull it off.  Sure that does mean a ton but shows rare athletic ability and he clearly has rare arm talent with how effortlessly he throws the football.

It’s actually not that impressive of an “athletic” display for an NFL caliber athlete. I’d venture to say just about every single RB/WR could pull that off and most QB’s. It’s more learning the technique and your momentum from the cartwheel does a lot of the work for you to set up the backflip. I did this all the time when I was in college athletics. You could literally go on twitter and type “backflip” and find all sorts of nobodies such as this 280lb DT doing the same thing

I’m actually upset with myself for taking this much time to show this isn’t particularly impressive nor does it really tell us anything we don’t know about Richardson. Everyone knows he’s a great athlete, but many of us are very skeptical of his actual ability to develop into a viable NFL caliber QB. I’ll be monitoring him closely throughout the draft process as the Saints are a potential candidate to take a QB early, but I think to “hope” he is the next Josh Allen is wishful thinking. It would be one thing if he goes in the 2nd/3rd round as a project, but he’s likely going to be over drafted and I think there’s a good chance he is the type of prospect that gets a front office fired by taking him too early, but time will tell.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

It’s actually not that impressive of an “athletic” display for an NFL caliber athlete. I’d venture to say just about every single RB/WR could pull that off and most QB’s. It’s more learning the technique and your momentum from the cartwheel does a lot of the work for you to set up the backflip. I did this all the time when I was in college athletics. You could literally go on twitter and type “backflip” and find all sorts of nobodies such as this 280lb DT doing the same thing

I’m actually upset with myself for taking this much time to show this isn’t particularly impressive nor does it really tell us anything we don’t know about Richardson. Everyone knows he’s a great athlete, but many of us are very skeptical of his actual ability to develop into a viable NFL caliber QB. I’ll be monitoring him closely throughout the draft process as the Saints are a potential candidate to take a QB early, but I think to “hope” he is the next Josh Allen is wishful thinking. It would be one thing if he goes in the 2nd/3rd round as a project, but he’s likely going to be over drafted and I think there’s a good chance he is the type of prospect that gets a front office fired by taking him too early, but time will tell.

I guess I am wrong, and if you did it all the time I suppose maybe it is not all that difficult for an athlete to pull off.  Still Richardson's was like a 9 or 10, that big dude barely landed that thing and almost fell on his butt so that could have been take 2-3.  Only time I have seen Richardson do it was running off the field and it was one try.

There are 5 QBs in the top 33 rushers in the NFL in terms of yards.  So clearly the QB run game in the NFL is huge, and one could argue the biggest issue with Richardson are his nagging injuries not his processing.  Because if he could bull over guys and stay fully healthy he would be one heck of a weapon just with that.

If Jalen Hurts can pull it off and play QB in the NFL Richardson can, and he makes Hurts throwing arm look like trash.  Granted he is not the leader Hurts is or the competitor so that could hurt him.

That would be great if he fell to the 2nd or 3rd round, lot less pressure and more room to grow but with his arm talent I would be surprised if he makes it past the 1st.  Especially late 1st with quality teams who would be willing to sit him because they are already set at the QB position.  

Of the two times I saw Florida play this year, I wasn't impressed with Richardson as a thrower either time.  Not very accurate, slow through his progressions, and not very poised throwing from the pocket.  I wouldn't take him as a QB before late day 3.  Maybe take him a little earlier as an athlete.  Could maybe be a killer H back that you can use for gadget plays as well.

I thought both Stroud and Young didn't progress this year as much as one would hope from top prospects coming into the year.  Stroud could maybe catapult his stock if he just kills it in the playoff, but I don't know if he has that it factor that you want from your QB.