Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

19 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Not even a discussion. Caleb.

Why?

I know Maye didn't have a great game yesterday, but Caleb is around more talent and in Lincoln Riley's system which we've seen numerous quarterbacks excel in.

I'm not saying it's not Caleb, but I feel like Maye is not getting the credit he deserves.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Why?

I know Maye didn't have a great game yesterday, but Caleb is around more talent and in Lincoln Riley's system which we've seen numerous quarterbacks excel in.

I'm not saying it's not Caleb, but I feel like Maye is not getting the credit he deserves.

On paper Caleb has more talent around him, but watching the games it's evident that USC would be very average without him. Out of the Riley QBs, Williams is by far the most complete in terms of Arm Talent, size, running ability, and field scanning. His ability to read the defense while evading pressure seamlessly is Mahomes-esque. He has the potential to be the first "top 5 in the pocket, top 5 as a runner" QB in the league, if you don't already consider Mahomes to be that. Maye is pretty good. He's got some solid traits and it'll be fun to see if he can build on this next year or sputter like Howell did in his final year at UNC. I think Maye is good. I think Caleb is great.

Going to be a pretty stacked class for 2023 assuming all the top guys declare.  Still nuts Rising declared, I thought he would be smart to return for another season, and considering how deep the class is Hall, Daniels or Uiagalelei might be best to return for another year as well.  Rattler is right there with Levis and could over take him with how amazing he has played the last two weeks, really slinging the football around and making huge plays.

Bryce Young Alabama JR
CJ Stroud Ohio State RS SOPH
Anthony Richardson Florida RS SOPH
Will Levis Kentucky RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Bo Nix Oregon
DJ Uiagalelei Clemson JR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS JR
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS
Jaren Hall BYU RS JR
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
Max Duggan TCU
Cameron Rising Utah RS JR
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS

Not a great class in 2024, and KJ Jefferson I still question, he could declare in 2023 but not sure he goes that high considering that class but could in 2024 with a good year.  Travis is a riser no question and McCarthy is really interesting as well.

Caleb Williams USC JR
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS SR
Quinn Ewers Texas RS SOPH
Jordan Travis Florida State RS SR
Devin Leary NC State RS SR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS SR
Will Rogers Miss State SR
Robby Ashford Auburn RS SOPH
Jalen Milroe Alabama RS SOPH
Tyler Van Dyke Miami FL RS JR
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS SR
JT Daniels West Virginia RS SR

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Going to be a pretty stacked class for 2023 assuming all the top guys declare.  Still nuts Rising declared, I thought he would be smart to return for another season, and considering how deep the class is Hall, Daniels or Uiagalelei might be best to return for another year as well.  Rattler is right there with Levis and could over take him with how amazing he has played the last two weeks, really slinging the football around and making huge plays.

I definitely wouldn't call this year's QB class stacked by any means.

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Depth is pretty good. It certainly looks like a much, much better class than last year’s.

If everyone declares, that is. I think Richardson may stick around.

Just now, Daniel said:

Depth is pretty good. It certainly looks like a much, much better class than last year’s.

If everyone declares, that is. I think Richardson may stick around.

It's pretty much par with most other QB classes.  You've got 1-2 guys that you think are franchise QBs, you've got a couple of high upside, low floor guys and a few high-end backup types.

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Still nuts Rising declared

Not that nuts, since it's anyone's guess who the #4 QB will be after Stroud/Young/Levis, but it's hard to see Rising being that guy (It'll probably be Bo) since his arm isn't going to wow people at his pro day. Hopefully he gets a Senior Bowl invite and looks the part.

Jurkovec going to be a UDFA. Looked like he never really recovered from that wrist injury last year. 

Leary might as well declare too. He's going to go in round 4 at best, even if he looks good next year. Might as well just declare, get drafted in the 7th, and get a head start on NFL coaching.

Edited by Jeezla

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Not that nuts, since it's anyone's guess who the #4 QB will be after Stroud/Young/Levis, but it's hard to see Rising being that guy (It'll probably be Bo) since his arm isn't going to wow people at his pro day. Hopefully he gets a Senior Bowl invite and looks the part.

Jurkovec going to be a UDFA. Looked like he never really recovered from that wrist injury last year. 

Leary might as well declare too. He's going to go in round 4 at best, even if he looks good next year. Might as well just declare, get drafted in the 7th, and get a head start on NFL coaching.

Yeah Jurkovec has had a bad year and he will be a UDFA most likely, has potential though and the size/athletic ability teams love.   But a lot of other very decent QBs with be UDFAs, could easily have all these guys below as a UDFA and could throw in maybe 4-5 other guys depending on who declares.

Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Kedon Slovis Pitt
Aidan O'Connell Purdue
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech
John Rhys Plumlee UCF
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS
Jason Bean Kansas RS

No way would I take Rising at #4th QB overall, like I said Rattler has elite arm talent not sure Rising does.  I would take Bo Nix over Rising as well same with Penix etc.  

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

In terms of top to bottom depth it is very deep, that is what I would call stacked.  You could still get very productive and potential solid developmental or backup QBs in the late rounds or as UDFAs.  Could not say that about previous years.  10 QBs were drafted in 2021 and 5 of them were in the 1st round.  Could say one has 24 potential QBs if not more in the 2023 draft that could be drafted but of course not all of them will be.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

In terms of top to bottom depth it is very deep, that is what I would call stacked.  You could still get very productive and potential solid developmental or backup QBs in the late rounds or as UDFAs.  Could not say that about previous years.  10 QBs were drafted in 2021 and 5 of them were in the 1st round.  Could say one has 24 potential QBs if not more in the 2023 draft that could be drafted but of course not all of them will be.  

It's really not that stacked.  You've got Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are both easy Day 1 picks.  You've got Will Levis whose likely a Day 1 pick given the QB value that gets elevated on draft day.  At the very least, he's probably an early Day 2 pick.  Anthony Richardson probably isn't declaring, and if he does he's a Day 2 pick at the earliest and that's based solely on his physical tools.  He's closer to Kellen Mond than Josh Allen at this point in his career.  I'm skeptical that Spencer Rattler declares, but he's an at-best Day 2 pick.  Bo Nix is a true wild-card in this year's draft.  DJ Uiagalelei isn't declaring, and if he is he's an UDFA at best.  Penix is a Day 3 prospect. Jayden Daniels is a Day 3 prospect almost purely based off his athleticism.  Jaren Hall and Grayson McCall are probably Day 3 prospects.  The rest of those guys are probably UDFA types.

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's really not that stacked.  You've got Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are both easy Day 1 picks.  You've got Will Levis whose likely a Day 1 pick given the QB value that gets elevated on draft day.  At the very least, he's probably an early Day 2 pick.  Anthony Richardson probably isn't declaring, and if he does he's a Day 2 pick at the earliest and that's based solely on his physical tools.  He's closer to Kellen Mond than Josh Allen at this point in his career.  I'm skeptical that Spencer Rattler declares, but he's an at-best Day 2 pick.  Bo Nix is a true wild-card in this year's draft.  DJ Uiagalelei isn't declaring, and if he is he's an UDFA at best.  Penix is a Day 3 prospect. Jayden Daniels is a Day 3 prospect almost purely based off his athleticism.  Jaren Hall and Grayson McCall are probably Day 3 prospects.  The rest of those guys are probably UDFA types.

Anthony Richardson is declaring. You forgot Hendon Hooker. He's far better than a UDFA type. He'll get knocked for his age and the gimmicky offense, but his touch and accuracy are outstanding. He also has prototypical size, good mobility, plenty of arm, and looked comfortable on plays where he had to work through progressions and full-field reads (even if there were far fewer of those plays than you'd want because of the gimmicky offense). I like him a lot on Day 2.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Anthony Richardson is declaring. You forgot Hendon Hooker. He's far better than a UDFA type. He'll get knocked for his age and the gimmicky offense, but his touch and accuracy are outstanding. He also has prototypical size, good mobility, plenty of arm, and looked comfortable on plays where he had to work through progressions and full-field reads (even if there were far fewer of those plays than you'd want because of the gimmicky offense). I like him a lot on Day 2.

I agree Richardson should declare and his upside is so high would be hard to see him fall out of the 1st round.  Really though the value in the mid to late rounds is a lot better than most years.  Guys like Sam Hartman could be a steal in those rounds, same with Thompson-Robinson and especially Max Duggan or Rising.  If a team gets Duggan or Rising in the 6th or 7th round I would say that is a steal considering how solid they are and how mobile they are, same with Thompson-Robinson.  

Same with Brennan Armstrong but he is returning to school so he is out, he would have been a steal as a UDFA.  But Bennett, Jurkovec, Slovis, O'Connell and Cunningham are all really solid as a UDFA type and again if only 10-12 QBs get drafted the UDFA class is going to be extremely strong with a lot of guys to pick from with all the dudes that took a COVID year etc.  

Would be a terrible decision for Richardson to declare at this point (if he's going to attempt to be a QB at the next level). He needs game reps bad with how raw he is. I think he's better off getting more game reps in next year then sitting on the bench his first year or two in the NFL. He is far more raw than Malik Willis was last year and he clearly wasn't ready to be a year 1 starter. Still very skeptical that Richardson is an NFL caliber QB. However, if he's been advised that he's going to need to go the Terrelle Pryor route at the next level then sure, I could see him declaring and making that position change to WR.

I agree that it’s a bad idea for Richardson to declare. I would have thought he was staying, but all reports seem to indicate that he’s going.

With his athletic upside, I would put money on him being the tools guy that goes in the first over Levis. More athletic in every metric, and has actually shown good play on the field, occasionally.

If I’m a GM though, I probably take Bo Nix over either one. Although to be fair, I’d take a lot of QBs over Levis, so that part’s not saying much.

Rams or Bucs would be a good fit. Teams that don’t have early picks and an older QB that might be around a couple more years. Richardson might very well be even more raw than Malik Willis was.