Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I’d definitely take guys like Hendon Hooker or Bo Nix over Levis or Richardson at this point. Especially when considering that guys like Hooker and Nix will likely be picked around the 3rd round or so.

Hooker I don't know.  At least not for a starting QB.  That torn ACL probably won't be healed until part of the way through the season next year, and he may not be back to 100 percent until close to the end of the year, if he gets back to 100 percent.  And he had things he needs to work on as well, so with either guy, you're sidelining them for pretty much a whole season.

I think if I'm trying to find a long term answer at QB, I think I lean towards Richardson there.  He's still really young, has enormous upside, and isn't currently injured.  Hooker's a safer bet though, so if you can't trust someone on your staff to be the QB guru you need, he might be the better choice.

Value is hard to pin down, because I think we're gonna see some pretty drastic shifts between what we think of the order of prospects and what the NFL thinks between now and the draft.  We all thought Willis was going in the first round and likely as the first QB last year at this time.

Then of course, there's still bowl games.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree Richardson should declare and his upside is so high would be hard to see him fall out of the 1st round.  Really though the value in the mid to late rounds is a lot better than most years.  Guys like Sam Hartman could be a steal in those rounds, same with Thompson-Robinson and especially Max Duggan or Rising.  If a team gets Duggan or Rising in the 6th or 7th round I would say that is a steal considering how solid they are and how mobile they are, same with Thompson-Robinson.  

Same with Brennan Armstrong but he is returning to school so he is out, he would have been a steal as a UDFA.  But Bennett, Jurkovec, Slovis, O'Connell and Cunningham are all really solid as a UDFA type and again if only 10-12 QBs get drafted the UDFA class is going to be extremely strong with a lot of guys to pick from with all the dudes that took a COVID year etc.  

I'm not taking a position on whether Richardson should or shouldn't declare. If I'm being frank, I'm not a fan of him as a prospect. I'm simply relaying the information I've seen on him from UF insiders. On Hartman, he reminds me a bit of Taylor Heinicke. Not as accurate as you'd expect based on the numbers, but he plays balls to the wall on every snap. Seems like a solid late round pick.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Hooker I don't know.  At least not for a starting QB.  That torn ACL probably won't be healed until part of the way through the season next year, and he may not be back to 100 percent until close to the end of the year, if he gets back to 100 percent.  And he had things he needs to work on as well, so with either guy, you're sidelining them for pretty much a whole season.

I think if I'm trying to find a long term answer at QB, I think I lean towards Richardson there.  He's still really young, has enormous upside, and isn't currently injured.  Hooker's a safer bet though, so if you can't trust someone on your staff to be the QB guru you need, he might be the better choice.

Value is hard to pin down, because I think we're gonna see some pretty drastic shifts between what we think of the order of prospects and what the NFL thinks between now and the draft.  We all thought Willis was going in the first round and likely as the first QB last year at this time.

Then of course, there's still bowl games.

While nobody can perfectly predict how a torn ACL will heal, he tore his in November. It's very possible he could be ready to practice/play during camp/the preseason. Robert Woods tore his ACL in November last year and played week 1 for the Titans.

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Would be a terrible decision for Richardson to declare at this point (if he's going to attempt to be a QB at the next level). He needs game reps bad with how raw he is. I think he's better off getting more game reps in next year then sitting on the bench his first year or two in the NFL. He is far more raw than Malik Willis was last year and he clearly wasn't ready to be a year 1 starter. Still very skeptical that Richardson is an NFL caliber QB. However, if he's been advised that he's going to need to go the Terrelle Pryor route at the next level then sure, I could see him declaring and making that position change to WR.

I would say he is Richardson is farther along than Malik Willis, especially considering this was his only year as a full time starter he looked way better than Malik Willis did as a full time starter and Willis played against pretty crap competition where Richardson did not.  Malik was a very run first QB and has no where near the arm talent Richardson has.  That kid can freaking sling the football, sure he is raw but talent wise he has way more arm talent and potential than Malik Willis has in my opinion.

Richardson switching to WR is absolutely absurd to even think, just like Lamar Jackson should have switched to WR.  Lamar is clearly faster and more quick and athletic but looked pretty similar to Richardson in terms of untapped potential as a true freshman and first year starting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I’d definitely take guys like Hendon Hooker or Bo Nix over Levis or Richardson at this point. Especially when considering that guys like Hooker and Nix will likely be picked around the 3rd round or so.

If Hooker was 23 instead of 25 with the blown ACL I'd say yeah, but he probably won't even play till he's 26 and I just can't justify spending real assets on him that way unfortunately.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

19 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

If Hooker was 23 instead of 25 with the blown ACL I'd say yeah, but he probably won't even play till he's 26 and I just can't justify spending real assets on him that way unfortunately.

What's a "real asset"?

13 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Slightly different situations, but Jameis Winston tore his ACL about the same time Hooker did (last season) and was able to take part of training camp/preseason for us this season and was ready to start week 1. Obviously a little different with a rookie coming in, but there’s a good chance Hooker can come in as a rookie and get reps in training camp/preseason next year and depending on what team he goes to maybe even compete for a starting job.

Edited by tyler735

On 12/1/2022 at 11:31 PM, jrry32 said:

Anthony Richardson is declaring. You forgot Hendon Hooker. He's far better than a UDFA type. He'll get knocked for his age and the gimmicky offense, but his touch and accuracy are outstanding. He also has prototypical size, good mobility, plenty of arm, and looked comfortable on plays where he had to work through progressions and full-field reads (even if there were far fewer of those plays than you'd want because of the gimmicky offense). I like him a lot on Day 2.

I mean, if Richardson declares who am I to say he shouldn't?  But nothing on the field suggests he's an NFL QB.  He's probably closer to Kellen Mond than he is Josh Allen at this point in his career.  Someone will gamble on his athletic tools, but he's nowhere near ready to play in the NFL outside of some gimmicky packages.  As for Hooker, pre-ACL tear, you might have gotten me to bite on him on Day 2 as an interesting prospect, but with that and him being on the older side of the age spectrum he's probably closer to Brandon Weeden.  That's closer to a Day 3 pick than a Day 1 pick.

• Like 1