Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

Hooker was fine against South Carolina, but gets a BIG stock down if he has any kind of serious injury.

Double whammy deathblow for Tennessee's season.  He can't get too far up there even if he comes back because Tennessee is now way in the mix for the final four anymore.  Bowl opponent will now be someone way less impressive.

21 hours ago, hburn said:

Will Levis is jay cutler 2.0, literally the perfect qb physically, will make alot of great throws but no pocket awareness and makes just some terrible throws 

To be fair, Allen and Herbert didn't look great in college either. We're seeing NFL offenses accommodate to athletic QBs better than they have in the past. Even Justin Fields, who was mainly a pocket QB in college, has transformed into a running quarterback to find success in the NFL. Guys who can run are generally safer prospects than their pocket passer counterparts--it's simply easier to predict running production in the NFL than passing production.

My main skeptism regarding Levis is his athleticism. I keep seeing him compared to Allen, but he does not seem to be nearly as athletic.

11 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I think this will drop him further than most players because of his age.

Yeah, it's a death sentence to his draft stock.  He'll still go in the middle rounds, IMO, but that's it.  He's now an injury concern and is denied the big stage to elevate his stock.  Even with this loss, if he stays in the game, a 10-2 Tennessee team still gets a premium matchup that he could show out for.

Now, I think he goes in like the fifth as a career backup looking player.  Ironically enough, now he's in a situation where I would actually like the Titans to draft him.  Late fifth, he's sitting there?  Yeah, get your long term backup down regardless of what happens with Willis.

I do think Hooker is likely a quality backup in the NFL.  Big arm, legs, and the ability to run an offense on the field.

I've been too gutted from that game to update my QB rankings.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:29 PM, Ninersfan1984 said:

Seems it does not matter how bad Levis plays some people have already made up their mind that he is a first round pick

I'm surprised that people aren't concerned with the fact that he's going to be a 24 year old rookie. 

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

I could see a team like New Orleans taking him middle rounds now. Since they dont have a first rounder take him in the third. 

I think it's worth the gamble at that point. 

My thought as well. I'd love for the Saints to take a gamble on him in the 3rd/4th round. Would make too much sense with our lack of draft capital and cap space.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm surprised that people aren't concerned with the fact that he's going to be a 24 year old rookie. 

Right. That's all we heard about with Hendon Hooker is his age despite him playing lights out and having some good tools to work with. Levis on the other hand has good tools to work with, but his actual play on the field has been lackluster. For him to be this sure fire 1st round pick for many is just baffling to me. 

Just now, tyler735 said:

Right. That's all we heard about with Hendon Hooker is his age despite him playing lights out and having some good tools to work with. Levis on the other hand has good tools to work with, but his actual play on the field has been lackluster. For him to be this sure fire 1st round pick for many is just baffling to me. 

Levis being significantly older than most of the guys he's playing against while still being so raw is definitely a major red flag especially when you account for the fact that he'll be pushing 30 at the end of his rookie contract. I know Burrow was an older rookie but I can't remember any other QB prospect that came in at age 24+ and was good.

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

I could see a team like New Orleans taking him middle rounds now. Since they dont have a first rounder take him in the third. 

I think it's worth the gamble at that point. 

I'm thinking he goes later than the third.  ACL was the injury he got at Virginia Tech too, IIRC.  And it was a non-contact injury.  Tear an ACL twice, and you're probably not gonna be the same running the ball ever again.  Plus he's now got the dreaded 'injury history' asterisk next to his name on every team's draft board.

I think he falls to the fourth or fifth round now.

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm thinking he goes later than the third.  ACL was the injury he got at Virginia Tech too, IIRC.  And it was a non-contact injury.  Tear an ACL twice, and you're probably not gonna be the same running the ball ever again.  Plus he's now got the dreaded 'injury history' asterisk next to his name on every team's draft board.

I think he falls to the fourth or fifth round now.

Trying to remember if I am missing something but I don't think he tore his ACL at VT unless it was like a redshirt year or high school.

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Trying to remember if I am missing something but I don't think he tore his ACL at VT unless it was like a redshirt year or high school.

I could have sworn that he was coming off an injury at VT when he transferred to Tennessee.  Of course, good luck Googling anything about his injury before this recent one, but I'm sure you're more familiar with his VT history than I am.  What was his injury at VT?  I thought it was an ACL again.