Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 11/6/2022 at 6:46 PM, CWood21 said:

You'll have to excuse me if I don't believe you.  Would love to see some receipts though.

That's ok, I don't really care. I don't evaluate with my heart or bias. Look at physical and mental traits, read what you hear in terms of how they interview/go over coverages and defenses and see if their weaknesses and tendencies are correctable. 

If not - move on. You're not always right or wrong. Guys lose motivation when paid sometimes too. It's not entirely easy to look at a TV screen and say "this guy can play". Watching CJ Stroud play live just recently - yeah dude can rip the ball at a high level. 

I still do not know what people saw in Mac Jones. Great OL, great OC, great receivers, one of the best teams ever in Bama history. Yet - he was a meh prospect who should've gone 3rd round and extremely limited as a passer. Probably should be playing in the south - not cold weather (saints - Falcons - or other warm weather team). One year wonder in a covid season where many players sat out. 

I didn't see first round talent. Davis Mills has better upside. (not saying much either). 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

On 11/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, NYRaider said:

So it's pretty much Young/Stroud and then meh after that?

I would say I 10000% agree with that. Levis' physical talent is definitely interesting. But he's too hesitant with the ball in his hands sometimes. Has it improved from his time at Penn State? Yes. Is it still there at KU in bigger games? Also yes. I don't think that will be corrected at the next level which will lead to sacks, fumbles, and interceptions. I think his footwork is correctable. He posseses the arm strength. Holding onto the ball , coming off your first read, and being more decisive? Makes me think twice about drafting him as my first round future franchise starting QB. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, NYRaider said:

So it's pretty much Young/Stroud and then meh after that?

That's pretty typical. Hell, if you look back at people's stances in this forum on Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert coming out, FF wasn't exactly ordaining those guys the next big stars. Mahomes did not have a lot of fans on this forum. Opinions are usually very split on the guys who aren't safe picks, which is understandable.

Not 2023 but if Drake Maye shows that he understands coverages (UNC calls a lot of it in from the sideline), I like everything about him. Has the size, arm and pocket awareness and poise. Does show the ability to go through his progressions if the first read isn't there and is decisive when he rips it. He's a redshirt freshman but watching him, he's got the poise of a senior. He may be a rare breed at QB.

Complete change of pace from watching that offense under Sam Howell, who bailed on a clean pocket way too often. Watching them both, you'd think Howell was the freshman last year and Maye's the senior this year.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 9:51 AM, jrry32 said:

That's pretty typical. Hell, if you look back at people's stances in this forum on Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert coming out, FF wasn't exactly ordaining those guys the next big stars. Mahomes did not have a lot of fans on this forum. Opinions are usually very split on the guys who aren't safe picks, which is understandable.

But all of those guys were still first round picks. After Young/Stroud is there anyone that will be picked in the 1st?