Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 12/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, Daniel said:

Value is hard to pin down, because I think we're gonna see some pretty drastic shifts between what we think of the order of prospects and what the NFL thinks between now and the draft.  We all thought Willis was going in the first round and likely as the first QB last year at this time.

It really isn't.  Let's not overthink things.  He's an older prospect, coming off a torn ACL, and played in a gimmicky offense.  He would have been an interesting prospect, but the torn ACL was pretty much the nail in the coffin for his draft stock.  He'll still get drafted.  Just not as high as we're talking about him getting drafted.  It's no different than last year when we talked about Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, etc. going in the latter part of the first round or early parts of Day 2.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if Richardson declares who am I to say he shouldn't?  But nothing on the field suggests he's an NFL QB.  He's probably closer to Kellen Mond than he is Josh Allen at this point in his career.  Someone will gamble on his athletic tools, but he's nowhere near ready to play in the NFL outside of some gimmicky packages.  As for Hooker, pre-ACL tear, you might have gotten me to bite on him on Day 2 as an interesting prospect, but with that and him being on the older side of the age spectrum he's probably closer to Brandon Weeden.  That's closer to a Day 3 pick than a Day 1 pick.

You said, and I quote, "Anthony Richardson probably isn't declaring." I corrected you because the information I've seen from reliable UF insiders is that he's declaring and has already cleaned out his locker. I've already made my thoughts on Richardson known.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It really isn't.  Let's not overthink things.  He's an older prospect, coming off a torn ACL, and played in a gimmicky offense.  He would have been an interesting prospect, but the torn ACL was pretty much the nail in the coffin for his draft stock.  He'll still get drafted.  Just not as high as we're talking about him getting drafted.  It's no different than last year when we talked about Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, etc. going in the latter part of the first round or early parts of Day 2.

That’s my entire point. Pickett and Willis were gonna go early first, Ridder was gonna sneak into the first, and Howell was gonna go early day 2. Hell, major publications still had Corrall as a top 10 pick by this point in the year.

I will be shocked if we aren’t way off on where the prospects actually go.

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

That’s my entire point. Pickett and Willis were gonna go early first, Ridder was gonna sneak into the first, and Howell was gonna go early day 2. Hell, major publications still had Corrall as a top 10 pick by this point in the year.

I will be shocked if we aren’t way off on where the prospects actually go.

WHAT!!  How dare you question the prognostication of the "EXPERTS" !!  HOW DO YOU THINK THE VALUE OF A DRAFT PICK IS SET!!!!  Are you trying to sink and industry with your vile words!!

So far all of these guys are returning or entering the transfer portal.   Outside of Sims they all would have been in the conversation to be drafted, and not Bachmeier because he transferred early on in the season.  

DJ Uiagalelei JR

Michael Penix Jr RS JR

Brennan Armstrong RS SR

Jeff Sims RS SOPH

Phil Jurkovec RS SR

Hank Bachmeier RS SR

And I assume if you enter the transfer portal that means you cannot be in the NFL draft?   Still the deep QB room is getting a lot less deep and it is only a little bit after "championship" Saturday.  Curious if Daniels, Rattler, Hall and Hartman will return as well along with KJ Jefferson and McCall but I would guess McCall comes out unless he follows his head coach to Liberty.  

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still the deep QB room is getting a lot less deep and it is only a little bit after "championship" Saturday.  Curious if Daniels, Rattler, Hall and Hartman will return as well along with KJ Jefferson and McCall but I would guess McCall comes out unless he follows his head coach to Liberty.  

I'm with you that it's still a deep class.  Last season, I remarked that, minus the lack of talent at the top end, it was a solid QB class.  A lot of middle round guys with a few depth ones kicking around.

This year has two bona fide first rounders in Stroud and Young, who are both way ahead of Pickett.  If you put Nix and Pickett on the same draft, I take Nix first myself, but I think I'm in the minority there.

Richardson should grade similarly to Willis.  Willis is probably a little faster, but Richardson has prototype size and probably a bit of a bigger arm.  Both were looking at sitting a year.

Corrall vs. Hooker works well too, with both injured and from a gimmicky offense, but Hooker comes out way ahead in that comparison IMO.

Last year was a bad QB class, but this season, at the very least, is miles ahead of it.  If a few guys stay in school, then it starts to look more pedestrian.  But I still think it's an above average class.

If I line up both prospects, I probably order them like this:

1. Stroud
2. Young
3. Nix
4. Pickett
5. Richardson
6. Willis
7. Ridder
8. Hooker
9. McCall
10. Corrall
11. Hall
12. Howell
13. Levis
14. Zappe
15. Rattler

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

No surprise on that. Told y'all it was happening. Buyer beware.

Who knows but if he goes to Seattle, Geno say is signed and he is the QB next year and Richardson sits, that would be ideal honestly.  And athletically he is the best QB in the draft and his upside is higher than any of them, he easily goes 1st round even if a team wants to sit him for a year or two.  

This QB thing is getting pretty ridiculous, what every QB transfers his last year unless he goes out for the draft?  This is pathetic if this is going to happen year after year, a QB did not have a Joe Burrow season, has one more year and transfers in an attempt to get better and more production?  Sure it makes sense for basically all of these guys but this rent a QB thing is kind of lame as well in terms of a team dynamic and the QB position it happens a ton compared to other positions.  

Current seniors, RS seniors, or juniors returning to school and transferring schools, Phil already made his choice in Pitt.  

DJ Uiagalelei NA
Devin Leary NA RS*
Kedon Slovis NA RS
Spencer Sanders NA RS
Brennan Armstrong NA RS
Jeff Sims NA
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
Hank Bachmeier NA RS
Graham Mertz NA RS
Drew Pyne NA
Jack Tuttle NA RS

These are some of the top Juniors and Sophomore or freshman who transferred last year and I assume all will return outside of maybe Jayden Daniels and Rattler, Penix already said he was returning.

Caleb Williams USC SOPH
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS JR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
Quinn Ewers Texas RS FR
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Max Johnson Texas A&M
JT Daniels West Virginia RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS
Emory Jones Arizona State RS
Jayden de Laura Arizona RS SOPH

It is just getting a bit much, even QBs from decent schools like NC State have QBs leaving.  Hell if Daniels returns I bet Nussmeier leaves.  

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

He will probably benefit from NFL coaching but there's a good chance he's going to cost a coach/GM their jobs unless he takes some major steps foward.

Not sure it really matters, look at the 2018 draft, Mayfield was just released and he was the #1 pick and has already been traded once.  Sam Darnold who knows what he is now or if he has a future, Josh Allen is a super star but Josh Rosen is a joke in a half despite being on what 5 or 6 teams and not making it?  Then Lamar Jackson is great but in that case the guys who stuck around are the elite physical talents who are great athletes with talented throwing arms.  

That is Anthony Richardson, so take a chance on him because so what if he fails, the positive out weighs the negative with him.  Why play it safe, a team will take a risk on him try to develop him.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure it really matters, look at the 2018 draft, Mayfield was just released and he was the #1 pick and has already been traded once.  Sam Darnold who knows what he is now or if he has a future, Josh Allen is a super star but Josh Rosen is a joke in a half despite being on what 5 or 6 teams and not making it?  Then Lamar Jackson is great but in that case the guys who stuck around are the elite physical talents who are great athletes with talented throwing arms.  

That is Anthony Richardson, so take a chance on him because so what if he fails, the positive out weighs the negative with him.  Why play it safe, a team will take a risk on him try to develop him.  

Which is why I said he’ll benefit from NFL coaching much like Allen and Jackson did. 

He’s also more likely to get a FO/Staff fired than he is to actually pan out. I’m not a QB guru or anything but I’ve watched every one of his games and the dude sucks.