Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 12/6/2022 at 6:37 AM, THE DUKE said:

Of the two times I saw Florida play this year, I wasn't impressed with Richardson as a thrower either time.  Not very accurate, slow through his progressions, and not very poised throwing from the pocket.  I wouldn't take him as a QB before late day 3.  Maybe take him a little earlier as an athlete.  Could maybe be a killer H back that you can use for gadget plays as well.

I thought both Stroud and Young didn't progress this year as much as one would hope from top prospects coming into the year.  Stroud could maybe catapult his stock if he just kills it in the playoff, but I don't know if he has that it factor that you want from your QB.

The dude effortlessly can fling the football, he has very good arm talent I would say and for his first full season as a starter he showed more than enough potential I feel.  Sure he has work to do but the arm talent is there and so is the athletic ability.  But yeah would be a lot safer as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, either way he has far more upside than Malik Willis and has way more arm talent.

As for Stroud and Young, I still say Stroud has far superior OL, WR and RB play than what Bryce Young had to deal with.  If roles were reversed Stroud who have really struggled on that Bama offense this season potentially.  Even with Jaxon being out all year Ohio State is still loaded at WR where Bama not one WR on that team will be a 1st round pick, not even close, much less not sure any OL is a 1st round pick and Ohio State has multiple 1st rounders on the OL, WR and RB groups.  

So considering that Young did some great work with a very sub par cast around him.  

I don't think anybody doubts Richardson's potential. He's simply extremely raw, has a very low floor, and is a tough projection. By all accounts, he's a good kid, but man, he really ticked me off this year. He got bad advice from somebody and just refused for long stretches of the season to utilize his mobility in the way he should.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think anybody doubts Richardson's potential. He's simply extremely raw, has a very low floor, and is a tough projection. By all accounts, he's a good kid, but man, he really ticked me off this year. He got bad advice from somebody and just refused for long stretches of the season to utilize his mobility in the way he should.

True at times he did have issues, and like you said he does have major injury problems so I assume that is why he did not use his legs as much because he did not want to get hurt and was maybe nursing something during the year.  

Still compared to Daniels on LSU, Daniels had big time weapons to throw to in Nabers, Boutte and Jenkins along with solid TEs in Mason Taylor and Jack Bech.  Richardson did not have that type of talent around him and I think that made him look worse than he is potentially.   

I did not realize this till now but Daniels had 180 rush attempts for 818 yards and 11 TDs, Richardson had 103 rush attempts for 654 yards and 9 TDs....but Daniels was apparently sacked 43 times!  Richardson was only sacked 14 so at least he got rid of the football which is a great sign.  Did throw some odd picks but again first year starting whatever....

There is just so much to like about him in terms of upside, one of the six teams that really need a QB will take a gamble on him at some point and select him.  The completion percentage is still bad but again his arm talent shows he could improve that with how effortlessly he throws the ball.  With great coaching he could really develop potentially.  

Anthony Richardson is going to be a top 5 pick next draft. 
Wouldn't even be surprised if he's the 1st pick overall. 
He has that much potential. His floor is pretty low but his ceiling is so massive that personally I'd gamble on him. 
I feel like people are downplaying the fact that he played in a system that isn't too far from a pro-style scheme and he had to make protections calls and adjustments at the line. He just needs more experience playing the game. 
He hasn't played much in college and definitely should have gone back for another season (IMO).
But because of that he isn't close to being a finished product either and with a good coach and maybe a half-year/year of learning from the bench he could develop into something really special. 
I really like Bryce Young but there's no hiding the fact that he's pretty small (even smaller than Murray) by NFL standards. 
CJ Stroud I just don't know. The guy can have unreal accuracy at times but then he's coming from an OSU team loaded with WR and OL talent and a gimmick scheme and he's hard to fully trust as a result. 
Levis I like more than most but still he does have his own flaws. 
Because no other QB prospect seem like a sure thing this year (maybeeee Bryce Young?) I'd definitely see a team picking him as the 1st or 2nd QB off the board. 
We're a long way from the draft but I know right now I would do it as well. 

Edited by MagicMT

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

Anthony Richardson is going to be a top 5 pick next draft. 
Wouldn't even be surprised if he's the 1st pick overall. 
He has that much potential. His floor is pretty low but his ceiling is so massive that personally I'd gamble on him. 
I feel like people are downplaying the fact that he played in a system that isn't too far from a pro-style scheme and he had to make protections calls and adjustments at the line. He just needs more experience playing the game. 

I don't think people are downplaying it. The truth is he just wasn't very good in that system. Maybe he'll fully unleash his skillset in the NFL. I don't know. He tried way too hard to be a pocket passer this year and hurt the team. But I'll say again that my biggest concern with the guy is with his head.

With dedication and the right coaching, you can improve the mechanical issues that cause his erratic accuracy. Will that happen? I don't know. But I don't know how you fix a kid's tendency to mentally fall to pieces when he starts struggling.