Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

15 hours ago, MagicMT said:

He has that much potential. His floor is pretty low but his ceiling is so massive that personally I'd gamble on him. 

And his floor is that he's out of the league in a year.  I don't think we've ever seen a #1 overall QB with as poor of a track record.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

But I don't know how you fix a kid's tendency to mentally fall to pieces when he starts struggling.

That's a very valid point and as a Gators fan yourself you've probably seen more of him than I did this year so yes, that is concerning and not something to brush off you're totally right on this. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And his floor is that he's out of the league in a year.  I don't think we've ever seen a #1 overall QB with as poor of a track record.

Anthony Richardson will not be the #1 QB selected, no way that happens so there is that.  

Is there a QB right no in college that is that big, that fast, that strong and has that impressive of a throwing arm?  I would say no.  Caleb Williams is quicker, smarter, processes better and is 10 times the leader but he is not as big, does not have as talented of a throwing arm and is not as powerful either.  Honestly some are faster like Jayden Daniels is more quick and fast as a runner but I would not say he has a better throwing arm than Richardson, same can be said for DTR.  

KJ Jefferson some really like his ability to run with a powerful throwing arm, and Anthony Richardson as a first year full time starter out performed him in some ways with a worse offensive line, arguably worse running backs and probably worse overall WRs as well.  And that was KJ's 2nd season as a full time starter.  

There simply are not many dudes out there like Richardson and unless he totally tanks in the workouts some team is going to love that upside, select him and wait and see what happens.  

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

McCall to the Transfer Portal.  Hopeful he gets to play for a big school and we can see what he has.  Coastal Carolina's offense was 99% shot passes.

I guess that is not a huge surprise, I did not have him declaring for 2023 but still it is pretty insane the amount of proven QBs in the portal.  Apparently Emory Jones is in it as well, basically any QB who is on their last leg just go out of desperation to any location and hope to have some Joe Burrow year or something....

14 hours ago, jebrick said:

McCall to the Transfer Portal.  Hopeful he gets to play for a big school and we can see what he has.  Coastal Carolina's offense was 99% shot passes.

I liked McCall quite a bit as an NFL prospect, but I had kind of a ceiling for him until I could see him against high level competition.  I expect he'll go to a Power 5 program.  Really hope it's not just following Chadwell to Liberty, since I don't really see how that's an upgrade.

• Like 1

You know the CJ Stroud player comparison I would go for

This new version of Geno Smith. 

Not the Jets version, but watching Geno this year it's similar to how I would project Stroud to win in the league. 

They're basically the same size, pocket based mainly, and has special accuracy. 

I think like Geno, CJ Stroud is going to have to be in a environment that has the resources for him to be successful. 

Hopefully he gets to Detroit. He can sit behind Goff for a year on a team loaded with Weapons. 

How Stroud plays against Georgia will probably dictate more what he's labeled as than the rest of his season put together.  Georgia has decimated the top level QBs they've played against.  If Stroud has a half decent game, he ought to rocket up draft boards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, General Tso said:

From what I've read, isn't Stroud just Goff with better physical traits? Stronger arm and more mobile, but also does not deal well with pressure.

I'm not even sure he's really even more mobile than Goff and I think it's a very fair/good comparison. He's got a better arm and physically is more impressive, but he can't make off platform throws, isn't great against pressure, and really is a hard guy to gauge in terms of other traits since his supporting cast at the WR spots have been so talented.

The few things that he will have going for him are his throwing tools and that he plays in an NFL style offense with an NFL style passing tree. He's capable of making every throw, but he brings nothing to the table athletically. His success/failure will be predicated upon his OL ability and whether or not he can improve navigating the pocket and making those types of off script throws.

So far he hasn't been able to do that. I'm not sure whether he ever will, but there's always a chance. I think in a "normal" year, he's a mid 1st Round type guy. Pocket passer with good throwing ability.

QB's to accept Senior Bowl invites so far:

Jake Haener
Clayton Tune
Tyson Bagent

The biggest news so far in regards to the Senior Bowl is that this years Punt God, Bryce Baringer, has accepted an invite.

Devon Witherspoon accepted as well. I'll be watching him like a Hawk with robot eyes.

Edited by Jeezla