Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

Is there any indication yet of how NFL GMs view Bryce Young? He's not the prototype at all. As Parcells once said: if he isn't the prototype, does he walk on water? Bryce Young may qualify there, especially after that bowl game. I'm not a huge fan personally, but lots of draftniks are, and I have not heard anything about how teams view him yet.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

other than the fact that he has a big arm, I see nothing of value in this guy.  He's not got great accuracy, his decision-making is awful, he doesn't seem to have a great pocket presence, and he brings no ability to run.

I agree with your overall assessment of Levis in that he is horribly overrated at this time. I also don’t see how he’s an 1st round pick. I’d much rather take a guy like Hooker even with the ACL injury. Only part I’d disagree with in your assessment is saying Levis has no ability to run. Other than having a big arm, his ability to run is about the only other redeeming trait I’ve seen from him. I feel like that combo has played a big role in him being overrated as a prospect. Feel like some think he can “be the next Josh Allen” with his arm, size, and athleticism. Obviously seems highly unlikely he ever hits that type of success in the NFL as Allen is the exception with this type of prospect.

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I agree with your overall assessment of Levis in that he is horribly overrated at this time. I also don’t see how he’s an 1st round pick. I’d much rather take a guy like Hooker even with the ACL injury. Only part I’d disagree with in your assessment is saying Levis has no ability to run. Other than having a big arm, his ability to run is about the only other redeeming trait I’ve seen from him. I feel like that combo has played a big role in him being overrated as a prospect. Feel like some think he can “be the next Josh Allen” with his arm, size, and athleticism. Obviously seems highly unlikely he ever hits that type of success in the NFL as Allen is the exception with this type of prospect.

I've heard people say he can run, but he never does when I've watched him.  Is this something that showed up in his (admittedly much better) 2021 tape, or is it just one of those things where he's actually a lot more athletic and he just doesn't run (like Stroud pre-Georgia)?

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've heard people say he can run, but he never does when I've watched him.  Is this something that showed up in his (admittedly much better) 2021 tape, or is it just one of those things where he's actually a lot more athletic and he just doesn't run (like Stroud pre-Georgia)?

Here’s some examples of his athletic abilities as a runner.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, tyler735 said:

Here’s some examples of his athletic abilities as a runner.

Agreed, anyone that says he is not a physical runner has not watched him play much.  The guy was basically a wild cat QB at Penn State and had some big time runs in a backup role for them.  Of course is a little overly physical at times but the dude is very athletic and if he can improve parts of his passing game he could be a very promising QB.  Ending the year poorly though but will see how he does on the pre draft workouts.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, anyone that says he is not a physical runner has not watched him play much. 

I only watched this year (for the purposes of evals) and none of those clips are from this season. What’s the deal? He has negative rushing yards this season and he has like no significant runs.

Was he injured or something?

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I only watched this year (for the purposes of evals) and none of those clips are from this season. What’s the deal? He has negative rushing yards this season and he has like no significant runs.

Was he injured or something?

That Kentucky OL sucked this past season, like really bad.  I think that had a lot to do with it, also don't sack yards count against rush yardage for QBs?  So if you get sacked a lot it is like you get a 10 yard loss as a runner?  

Kentucky allowed 47 sacks this past year, and that was 127th out of 131.  The 131st team allowed 59 sacks and that was Colorado State.  

I know he got sacked a lot and that counts against his rush yards. What I am wondering about is why we didn’t see him run this season?

From what I remember there were quite a few moments watching him where it seemed like he should have but made no attempt to.

If someone can run, as the clips posted earlier show, why didn’t he?

On 1/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, minutemancl said:

Is there any indication yet of how NFL GMs view Bryce Young? He's not the prototype at all. As Parcells once said: if he isn't the prototype, does he walk on water? Bryce Young may qualify there, especially after that bowl game. I'm not a huge fan personally, but lots of draftniks are, and I have not heard anything about how teams view him yet.

If teams drafted Kyler Murray and Tua in the top 5, Bryce Young will absolutely be drafted top 5.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

If teams drafted Kyler Murray and Tua in the top 5, Bryce Young will absolutely be drafted top 5.

GMs are also easily influenced by recent events. Considering the injury riddled career both have had so far, it wouldn't surprise me if Young goes later than expected. I also think there might be questions around Young's arm strength.

I go back and forth on young, but he's my top quarterback in this class. Outside of injury, I do not see him being an outright bust.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Kyler was just short.  Bryce is small.  And there's a big difference.

But yeah, Bryce is also way more talented than Kyler was IMO, and if he were 20 lbs heavier, he'd be a no brainer first overall, even with the height.  I'm sure some teams will think durability isn't a concern, and others will just take him out of first round consideration altogether, it's just a question of how many fall into each camp.