UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

Word from a couple of non-Chicago sources say that Ryan Pace has been making very, very positive impressions in those interviews, based on what interviewees are telling others. This is significant.

28 minutes ago, G08 said:
Word from a couple of non-Chicago sources say that Ryan Pace has been making very, very positive impressions in those interviews, based on what interviewees are telling others. This is significant.

Good to know our GM isn’t a total boob but we aren’t exactly keeping a high standard here if that was even a question, are we? 

Josh McDaniels likely compares the closest to Sean Payton in terms of offensive knowledge and youth. McDaniels of course has 5 Super Bowl rings so that puts some swag on you, IMO, when you're commanding a room. He's probably the best for Mitchell Trubisky if only because Mitchell is a willing listener/learner and he'll do, IMO, anything and everything McDaniels wants.

Again, biggest ? is how McDaniels can lead a team and if he really has learned how to be a better leader/communicator/less prickly.

I don’t trust Twitter at all. Sure, sometimes there are correct reports, which may or may not just be guesses, but Twitter is also the #1 source for BS in the world.

Where there even any additional reports that Flip did well in his interview? All I saw was some random dude tweeted that at Aaron Leming and then all of a sudden it was passed around as fact.

1 minute ago, Rogerthat said:

Why do we give Josh McDaniel credit for all of Tom Brady's super bowls wins ?  

I don't know that we give him credit - but he was there for all of them?

I don't like McDaniels - and I doubt he has changed since his Denver melt-down - but there is no doubt he is a brilliant offensive mind.  And we have to give him some credit for the Garrapolo development - though being able to sit on the bench for three years learning from Brady surely didn't hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

I don't know that we give him credit - but he was there for all of them?

I don't like McDaniels - and I doubt he has changed since his Denver melt-down - but there is no doubt he is a brilliant offensive mind.  And we have to give him some credit for the Garrapolo development - though being able to sit on the bench for three years learning from Brady surely didn't hurt. 

"I was there bro I was there"  

good point you bring up about Jimmy G's Development.  I would think sitting behind Brady is the bigger factor.  Plus we all saw who is in charge when it comes to NE's offense.  Its Tom Brady who b*tched out josh on the sideline and Josh took it because they all know its Tom fn Brady show.    

2 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

"I was there bro I was there"  

good point you bring up about Jimmy G's Development.  I would think sitting behind Brady is the bigger factor.  Plus we all saw who is in charge when it comes to NE's offense.  Its Tom Brady who b*tched out josh on the sideline and Josh took it because they all know its Tom fn Brady show.    

Brady is famous for not helping his backup QBs in anyway and refuses to give them any reps.

he doesn’t believe it’s his job to train someone under him.

it was more a combo of Jimmy and whoever that QB coach is then McDs

McDaniels' biggest flaw is not X's and O's or scheming opponents. He was, literally, a 33 year old hot-headed punk who QUICKLY wore out his welcome because he had zero interpersonal skills. None. Players said that they were never more prepared to face an opponent than when he was head coach, he just didn't know how to let the team unwind and those moments felt scripted. Can you grow from age 33 to age 42 (9 years)? Especially when you had a ton of egg thrown on your face and your reputation dragged through the mud? If it was me, I would have a HUGE chip on my shoulder and wouldn't let anything get in the way of my success. But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Joe Montana won three Super Bowls under Bill Walsh. Does Walsh not deserve credit?

Not really and neither does Phil Jackson for that matter.  All these coached did differently was have better players than the other coaches. 

Super easy to win championships when you have Montana or Brady or in Phil's case Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe

Furthermore Look at Phil Jackson in New York without Hall of Fame players he doesn't look like the coaching genius that people make them out be.   

The way I think Pace has his HC big board ranked.

1. McDaniels

2. DeFilippo

3. Shurmur

4. Nagy

Question is would McDaniels want to keep Fangio or bring his own guy? My gut tells me the latter. We'll find out soon as Fangio officially becomes a FA as of tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Not really and neither does Phil Jackson for that matter.  All these coached did differently was have better players than the other coaches. 

Super easy to win championships when you have Montana or Brady or in Phil's case Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe

Furthermore Look at Phil Jackson in New York without Hall of Fame players he doesn't look like the coaching genius that people make them out be.   

I don’t know if that’s an apples to apples comparison. In the NBA, it’s a lot easier for one or a few dominant players to drive a team and overcome bad coaching. In the NFL, it’s very common for a team to have a ton of talent and be brought down by bad coaching.

Archived