Browns trade Baker Mayfield to Carolina for conditional 2024 5th

Forge

On 7/9/2022 at 8:21 PM, Scoundrel said:

Mayfield is going to win 8-9 games for the Panthers. 

Possibly, but that will likely be because the rest of the division is suspect. Im more interested to see how he performs in a different system and get some answers on if last year was 100% due to injury or if he just is your typical 'average' starting QB.

I will say, going from PFFs #2 ranked OL to PFFs #31st ranked OL isnt going to make it easier on a guy who already struggles processing defenses pre-snap and getting past his 1st read. He also doesnt have Chubb/Hunt/Hooper/Njoku/Beckham/Landry anymore to lean on. He has DJ Moore and 8 games of Christian McCaffrey until he gets hurt.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for him and maybe finally see what caliber of QB he actually is. Definitely looking forward to that. I can see him coming out guns blazing with a clear head and having a 2018/2020 type season and I can also see him getting completely dismantled in the pocket like 2019/2021 and it getting ugly.

Edited by AkronsWitness

30 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Possibly, but that will likely be because the rest of the division is suspect. Im more interested to see how he performs in a different system and get some answers on if last year was 100% due to injury or if he just is your typical 'average' starting QB.

I will say, going from PFFs #2 ranked OL to PFFs #31st ranked OL isnt going to make it easier on a guy who already struggles processing defenses pre-snap and getting past his 1st read. He also doesnt have Chubb/Hunt/Hooper/Njoku/Beckham/Landry anymore to lean on. He has DJ Moore and 8 games of Christian McCaffrey until he gets hurt.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for him and maybe finally see what caliber of QB he actually is. Definitely looking forward to that. I can see him coming out guns blazing with a clear head and having a 2018/2020 type season and I can also see him getting completely dismantled in the pocket like 2019/2021 and it getting ugly.

He’s gone through three different systems already has he not?

On 7/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Which sort of puts them in the same, annoying boat. For a team that hasn’t won that many games since 2017, if you’re a struggling FO like the one in Carolina, what do you do with Baker after that?

Well, if what everyone is saying happens happens...

On 7/10/2022 at 7:43 AM, squire12 said:

Carolina winning 8-9 games leads to Rhule probably gone

Then a new HC maybe wants a different QB to hitch his wagon to vs Baker at $30+M per year

Then Rhule probably is gone, but that may not change Baker's situation.  IMO, it depends on how they win those 8-9 games.  If Baker is playing well, he probably gets re-signed, even if they don't win that many games.  Someone will think they can win with a great team around him.

If Baker is the one struggling, and the rest of the team looks like it's a QB away, Rhule is gone and his replacement drafts a QB.  Hard for me to imagine a scenario where the team misses the playoffs and both Rhule and Baker stay, but Baker's chances are better than Rhule's IMO.

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well, if what everyone is saying happens happens...

Then Rhule probably is gone, but that may not change Baker's situation.  IMO, it depends on how they win those 8-9 games.  If Baker is playing well, he probably gets re-signed, even if they don't win that many games.  Someone will think they can win with a great team around him.

If Baker is the one struggling, and the rest of the team looks like it's a QB away, Rhule is gone and his replacement drafts a QB.  Hard for me to imagine a scenario where the team misses the playoffs and both Rhule and Baker stay, but Baker's chances are better than Rhule's IMO.

Yeah, the worst thing for this team in all honesty is a playoff appearance lol.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean…that’s sort of a stretch.

They were weapons the defense had to respect at least capable of being difference makers. point being Baker had a looot more to work with in Cle than he will in Car.

if he wasnt able to excel in that offense that was literally built around him to be the best he could be with all the help in the world, idk how going to Carolina who has a atrocious OL, a HC on the hot seat and no depth at skill positions is suddenly going to make him play better.

4 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

He’s gone through three different systems already has he not?

Correct, but like I posted on the Browns board--a lot of those systems ended because of him and his relationships (or lack thereof) with the HCs/OCs. He has disliked every HC that he has had in the NFL (and even Kliff back in college) or has at least openly criticized them to the media about game planning, preparation or play calling. I dont think thats going to change with Rhule/McAdoo if the Panthers start a losing streak.

I remember hearing nothing but how Stefanski's wide zone system is the most QB friendly offense in the NFL that it even made Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo look incredible. So if Baker was up/down in that system, the supposedly easiest, 1 read, run heavy, misdirection, open WRs everywhere offense in the NFL.....how is he going to look in a offensive system that requires him to go through progressions and be a traditional pocket passer?

Im eager to find out

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean…that’s sort of a stretch.

You forgot to bold Hooper and half-bold Landry. (Anti-Baker) Browns fans like to magically make the offensive skill position players good--they're league-worst in reality--when it suits their arguments.

Edited by NudeTayne

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

They were weapons the defense had to respect at least capable of being difference makers. point being Baker had a looot more to work with in Cle than he will in Car.

if he wasnt able to excel in that offense that was literally built around him to be the best he could be with all the help in the world, idk how going to Carolina who has a atrocious OL, a HC on the hot seat and no depth at skill positions is suddenly going to make him play better.

I don’t disagree. The OL, coaching, and run game are going to be worse, for sure. Just wouldn’t really say that OBJ or Njoku were guys being leaned on, lol.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Correct, but like I posted on the Browns board--a lot of those systems ended because of him and his relationships (or lack thereof) with the HCs/OCs. He has disliked every HC that he has had in the NFL (and even Kliff back in college) or has at least openly criticized them to the media about game planning, preparation or play calling. I dont think thats going to change with Rhule/McAdoo if the Panthers start a losing streak.

I remember hearing nothing but how Stefanski's wide zone system is the most QB friendly offense in the NFL that it even made Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo look incredible. So if Baker was up/down in that system, the supposedly easiest, 1 read, run heavy, misdirection, open WRs everywhere offense in the NFL.....how is he going to look in a offensive system that requires him to go through progressions and be a traditional pocket passer?

Im eager to find out

To be fair you made most of this up. He wasn't openly critical of Hue (only when he went directly to a divisional rival but he wasn't his coach then), Freddie or Greg Williams. That's all stuff you imagined as far as I can tell. He mentioned one time that he didn't like the play calls in a game under Stefanski and it was true. We almost exclusively passed from empty back formations with two bad tackles last season. Of course that isn't going to go well and he is going to get sacked a lot and take a lot of hits.

There was almost no difference between Freddie Kitchens' 2019 offense and Stefanski's 2021 offense, both terrible. Hooper was bad. Njoku drops a lot and is injured a lot. OBJ dropped everything and rarely made a play. Landry was hurt most of the year and he also drops a lot and signed a tiny contract so the league doesn't give him the respect you do as a player, good leader though.

Chubb is a beast. He should have carried more of the load last year. We got too pass happy with an injured QB, bad tackles and very limited weapons. Stefanski should have been fired had he not just won a playoff game the previous season.

• Like 2