week 11 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Titans TNF

Steeler Hitman

Just now, August4th said:

not sure if marcus will be a elite QB.. reminds me a guy who will be around Tannehill level 

Well, in fairness, most QBs dont become elite....but based on what Ive seen of him, I agree.   He can be very good at times, but he has largely been average outside of stretches here and there, and then he has games like this.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:36 PM, TitanLegend said:

Would be wise to actually watch Mariota play and not rely on box scores. Stafford and Smith have arguments to be ahead of him certainly. Mariota is unquestionably better than Keenum and Bortles, though.

I tell you what, I watched him play tonight.   I wouldn't want to look at that box score either. ;)

LOL.

I'm not going to go ranking Mariota against this or that scrub they've played this year, but he did get to play against the defense missing half its starting secondary. And the defense wasn't going to be at its most exotic to begin with on the short week.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yup, worst game of his career.

Doesn't make your painfully wrong statement from before the game any more factual though.

you seem to think my argument was  I would build my franchise around Keenum or Bortles instead of Mariota.

That wasn't my point.  My point was over the majority of THIS season he is not playing better than them.  And it looks like that carried over to tonight as well.

But since you want to pretend my argument was something it wasn't......  I'll just rub this in.  Not just the worst game of his career.  Worst game by ANY qb against ANY steelers D  in over 30 years!!!   Thanks! 

Just now, SlevinKelevra said:

you seem to think my argument was  I would build my franchise around Keenum or Bortles instead of Mariota.

That wasn't my point.  My point was over the majority of THIS season he is not playing better than them.  And it looks like that carried over to tonight as well.

But since you want to pretend my argument was something it wasn't......  I'll just rub this in.  Not just the worst game of his career.  Worst game by ANY qb against ANY steelers D  in over 30 years!!!   Thanks! 

Again, your explanation doesn't make your post any more factual. I mean when I get warned by posters here to not even take you seriously I think that says enough.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Again, your explanation doesn't make your post any more factual. I mean when I get warned by posters here to not even take you seriously I think that says enough.

what a compelling rebuttal.   I already stated the rationale for my argument.  Your "factual" evidence is anecdotal coterie-ing.  woo.  Enjoy your week 17 playoff "elimination" game.  Maybe Marcus will be playing better than Bortles by then- he'll need to be.

ps, when you say "posters" you mean "poster"  and his reason for disliking me is that his  I dislike the guy he is now too ashamed to use as an avatar anymore.

what a great reason to discount my posts.

Annnnnnnnnd back to football:

It took 9.5 games, but they finally went back to what made the offense so efficient and effective -- a horizontal based passing game. It opened everything up in the second half. Quick, high perfcntage throws. Let guys make plays and keep momentum moving forward. 

You can only run vertical concepts into C2 so many times before you realizing your failing. Seems like after halftime was their breaking point. Hope that continues. 

Roethlisberger post-game asked on how a second half like that improves confidence. Lists a few things it does. Makes you think the ball will come out of your hand better, makes you confident in the plays calls, makes the guys feel good etc. Then reiterates how when successful plays are called, it builds confidence for the whole team/rhythm. It makes guys think that the next play can be successful. He can't help himself.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this offense conducts itself the second half of the season and if they can secure home field. Everyone and their mother saw the same thing with the playcalling. But we've see that routinely in the Haley era with no real change.

Listen and look at Lebeau's reaction when he hugs Roethlisberger versus when he saw Todd coming in for a handshake hug. Some people hate reading the body language, but it's plain as day who he respected and, I'd go a step further, say who beat him tonight (besides the defense and his own offenses miscues).

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It's going to be really interesting to see how this offense conducts itself the second half of the season and if they can secure home field. Everyone and their mother saw the same thing with the playcalling. But we've see that routinely in the Haley era with no real change.

Not trying to defend Haley, but a lot of this is in Ben too. Especially in that sky cam view, you would see guys open underneath and the ball go sailing deeper down the field incomplete. 

That second half Ben seemed committed to making the right play, regardless of the distance of the pass. He really had not shown that willingness until that second half. 

Thats a big step this year. That horizontal quick passing game allows everything else to work. Teams can't sit in that cover 2, LB need to run sidelines so they start cheating opening up the run, more 1 on 1 deep balls.  

Now, if we could just convince Haley that second and 10 isn't a mandatory run down...

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Not trying to defend Haley, but a lot of this is in Ben too. Especially in that sky cam view, you would see guys open underneath and the ball go sailing deeper down the field incomplete. 

That second half Ben seemed committed to making the right play, regardless of the distance of the pass. He really had not shown that willingness until that second half. 

Thats a big step this year. That horizontal quick passing game allows everything else to work. Teams can't sit in that cover 2, LB need to run sidelines so they start cheating opening up the run, more 1 on 1 deep balls.  

Now, if we could just convince Haley that second and 10 isn't a mandatory run down...

I really didn't see these guys running open underneath. I didn't see much underneath at all, frankly, which is strange given you are playing a **** Lebeau defense. I saw a lot of vertical concepts when  Halley called plays. A lot of routes designed outside the hash marks. And so did a lot of other fans. It aint new. Haley's offense does on its own what the Steelers defense tries to get opposing offenses to do.

If I were younger and had the free time, I'd throw up screenshots. There are definitely times over the last few years where Ben has gotten greedy and gone deep more than he should. That simply isn't what we're looking at this year, for the vast majority of snaps.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm not going to go ranking Mariota against this or that scrub they've played this year, but he did get to play against the defense missing half its starting secondary. And the defense wasn't going to be at its most exotic to begin with on the short week.

"missing " half our starters seems to have no ill effect. Mitchell should stay on the sidelines and we will see but Sensenbach could be a good CB , we might not need to draft RD1 cb next year. Good point on the D scheme vs short week. 

Archived