Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

37 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tristan Thompson?

Brandon Knight?

Jordan Clarkson?

They are all expiring contracts and Clarkson and Tristan will likely fetch something at the deadline if we aren't competing and decide to move them for longer contracts and assets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Tristan can still play and add value 

On a max deal?!?!? Screw that. Dump him the second somebody offers you anything for him.

@Raves that's good. Given that these contracts are all coming off the books next year, I'd let them all run out. We need to gut this roster like a fish until we have acquired a semblance of a "big 3" via the draft. Because nobody worth value is going to come here via FA unless we offer them a terribly inflated contract. We have to get the stars first.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

On a max deal?!?!? Screw that. Dump him the second somebody offers you anything for him.

@Raves that's good. Given that these contracts are all coming off the books next year, I'd let them all run out. We need to gut this roster like a fish until we have acquired a semblance of a "big 3" via the draft. Because nobody worth value is going to come here via FA unless we offer them a terribly inflated contract. We have to get the stars first.

Tristan isn't on a max deal and wasn't when he was signed to his contract.  Obviously it's more than he should be paid but considering htis offseason not far off from what he would've gotten in FA either.  Tristan will likely head to a contender for a 2 year contract and some assets at the deadline, the same for Clarkson which will help in getting that "big 3" via the draft you are talking about.  Also "trust the process" type situations where you bottom out and have the worse record doesn't work as well with new lotto odds.

14 minutes ago, Raves said:

Tristan isn't on a max deal and wasn't when he was signed to his contract.  Obviously it's more than he should be paid but considering htis offseason not far off from what he would've gotten in FA either.  Tristan will likely head to a contender for a 2 year contract and some assets at the deadline, the same for Clarkson which will help in getting that "big 3" via the draft you are talking about.  Also "trust the process" type situations where you bottom out and have the worse record doesn't work as well with new lotto odds.

Yeah it doesn’t work as well, but it works better than signing average players for elite money and winning 40 games every season.

I know it involves a lot of luck, but we need that luck to go in our favor via the lottery game. If the lottery deems us unworthy, we never had a chance anyways.

36 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah it doesn’t work as well, but it works better than signing average players for elite money and winning 40 games every season.

I know it involves a lot of luck, but we need that luck to go in our favor via the lottery game. If the lottery deems us unworthy, we never had a chance anyways.

Or we could just see waht we have.  Who knows we might have a "big 3" or really that might not even be needed any more with the movements around the league.  We just need 2 All-Star caliber players and then a bunch of good/really good players around them like how it was before the Celtics started the arms race that's been the recent trend.

23 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Should we trade for Russ?

No, absolutely not.  Russ won't make the Cavs a title contender so no reason to make the move.  Now I would be perfectly fine helping facilitate a 3 person trade where we send OKC a bunch of expirings and take some bad contracts from teh team getting Russ for a bunch of assets though.

34 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Oh HELL no.

shoots less than 30% from beyond the arc but still takes 6 3's a game?

effective field goal percentage of 46.8%.

He gets a TON of rebounds for a guard and gets a good amount of assists but not someone to build around.

Just someone to help sell tickets when your seasons are hopeless.

I want players to build for the future with, not someone who will stick us in purgatory with no chance at being good and no chance at high draft picks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’ve gone back and forth on this. On one hand Russ would get us into the playoffs and it would be nice to see a star go all out every game.  but his style of playe, cost of trading for him and contract outweigh that. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve gone back and forth on this. On one hand Russ would get us into the playoffs and it would be nice to see a star go all out every game.  but his style of playe, cost of trading for him and contract outweigh that. 

Well the Cavs can really help the cost of trading for him by also trading for Stevens

Russ/Delly

Garland/Porter

Cedi/Wilder/Stauskas

Love/Nance

Stevens/Henson/Z

that would be a pretty solid Eastern Conference team

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck