Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

I think I want Green, Mobley, Suggs in that order, but I just began making that take in that last couple of hours.

Green seems like the best fit on our roster.  I love Sexton but it would probably be for the best to trade him before we have to try and sign him.

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

I think I want Green, Mobley, Suggs in that order, but I just began making that take in that last couple of hours.

Green seems like the best fit on our roster.  I love Sexton but it would probably be for the best to trade him before we have to try and sign him.

I did a lot of reading up on Green and after I did it sort of scared me.

Positives- #1 recruit in the country. Experience playing at higher level. Score from anywhere. All offense. Insanely explosive.

Negatives- No defense. Poor court awareness and play recognition. Poor facilitator. Compounds a lot of problems we already have.

Basically, he's all offense and no defense. Because he is so raw and doesn't do anything else well besides score, it's going to be difficult for him to find ways to contribute if he's not scoring in bunches. Relies too much currently on "out-athleting" his opponents which he he won't do at the next level. 

Some were concerned that he requires a lot more development than people make it out to be and it will be a long development. Green compares to Zach Lavine who took 7 years to grow from raw athlete into competent NBA player. 

However, if it all comes together for him and he is able to adjust and grow--he will be a great scoring guard like Zach Lavine/Devin Booker currently are.

It's a gamble though, but he's far from a 5-tool prospect. He's extremely strong in 1-2 areas but extremely weak in about 4 others.

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This roster needs a shake up badly. 

The Cavs finally got a draft pick where they can finally draft a player to build around.

I think everyone should be on the block. I would like to keep Garland tho. Think he has the skills to be able to play with Mobly or Green

• Like 1

Cavaliers have some options for the first time in awhile.  They must use this pick unless they get a super offer.  Houston’s pick should be Mobley but time will tell. Green, Kuminga, Suggs, or Barnes fits our needs well. Additionally decisions need to be made on Love, Sexton, and Nance as well as contracts on Allen and Hartenstein.

18 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

lets say Orlando calls up Koby and says hey, we really want the 3rd pick. We will trade you picks 5+8 and Gary Harris+Terrence Ross for 3 and Kevin Love. What do you do?

I’d say no, there’s a significant drop off in talent after the top 3 or 4.

Green or Mobley > Kuminga + whoever at 8

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I would definitely keep the pick, unless blown away by a trade!  Mobley or Green would be fine.  I also like the idea of keeping Garland, and Okoro.  I just wonder what Sexton could fetch in a trade?

Would Philly do a Simmons for Sexton str8 up?

Don’t know if Philly would, but I would without hesitation. Garland, Green, and Simmons would be a great young core to build around 

1 minute ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Mobley goes 2. They want Green. I like Green, and I like Suggs, but to be able to get rid of Love, and then getting Barnes and one of Kispert, Johnson, Jones, Williams etc. is extremely tempting to me. Its a tough choice, I think Green can be a star. But if we take him I think we have to find a trade for Sexton, AND I think it hinders Okoro some because he honestly is best suited at the 2.

22 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Mobley goes 2. They want Green. I like Green, and I like Suggs, but to be able to get rid of Love, and then getting Barnes and one of Kispert, Johnson, Jones, Williams etc. is extremely tempting to me. Its a tough choice, I think Green can be a star. But if we take him I think we have to find a trade for Sexton, AND I think it hinders Okoro some because he honestly is best suited at the 2.

This is a 4 player draft and the Cavs have the #3rd pick. I'm not moving out of a position to draft one of those 4 players unless it means bringing me another player with high upside like Brandon Ingram or Jaylen Brown.

The Cavs need a real difference maker and moving down in this draft to aquire two 'B' level prospects in place of one 'A' level prospect is not the way. They need quality, not quantity.

If the Cavs can flip #3 and Love for Ingram, Brown or Lavine then I'm all for it. Otherwise, take the A-level prospect at #3 and figure the roster construction out later.

The Cavs got lucky in a draft with multiple potential franchise changing talents on the board, don't run away from it.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I would definitely keep the pick, unless blown away by a trade!  Mobley or Green would be fine.  I also like the idea of keeping Garland, and Okoro.  I just wonder what Sexton could fetch in a trade?

Would Philly do a Simmons for Sexton str8 up?

I have a hard time trading a player who is ascending for a player who has done nothing but decline each of the last 3 years with a serious injury history.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is a 4 player draft and the Cavs have the #3rd pick. I'm not moving out of a position to draft one of those 4 players unless it means bringing me another player with high upside like Brandon Ingram or Jaylen Brown.

The Cavs need a real difference maker and moving down in this draft to aquire two 'B' level prospects in place of one 'A' level prospect is not the way. They need quality, not quantity.

If the Cavs can flip #3 and Love for Ingram, Brown or Lavine then I'm all for it. Otherwise, take the A-level prospect at #3 and figure the roster construction out later.

The Cavs got lucky in a draft with multiple potential franchise changing talents on the board, don't run away from it.

I'd love to snag Brown. 

Just now, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'd love to snag Brown. 

I have a feeling those are the type of 'young veteran' type of players the Cavs have their eye on if they were to trade the pick.

They have said they want a high upside young veteran over adding another 19 year old to already the leagues youngest roster.

If the Celtics think Green/Mobley fit alongside Tatum better than Brown does, the Cavs should make the call. Same with Ingram in New Orleans. Same with Lavine in Chicago and same with Siakam in Toronto.

1 hour ago, BrownsDog23 said:

I disagree 

I think people are really sleeping on Kuminga. He’s a two way player. Extreme athletic he can handle the ball and distribute. He needs to grow on offense but he’s got as much potential in the draft as anyone else. 

if I can get picks 5 and 8 for 3. I do it as long as Kuminga is available at 5

then I draft probably Jalean Johnson there. He’s a future starting four

then you have a future starting 5 of 

Garland, Okuro, Kuminga, Johnson, Allen

That’s a starting 5 that fits together long term 

Trade Sexton for some value and if you can’t then he can finally have his role as scoring 6th man 

• Like 1

Jalen Green will have a better career than Cade Cunningham (I feel it) and we’d be idiots to pass on him

He’s the most athletically gifted SG I’ve ever seen. He’s Randy Moss with a jump shot. He glides up and down the court and through the air. He has the quickest first step I’ve ever seen. His body control is amazing. His coordination is terrific. He has a freaky vertical. And he’s a smart player too! His passing and movement offball are underrated. He can score like crazy from 3 levels while doing it in flow of offense or forcing it if he needs to. And he’s a good kid with a work ethic. 

I think if he goes to a situation that features him as a #1 option as a rookie he will score more points than any rookie since Iverson, maybe since Jordan. 

He’s by far the best SG prospect I’ve seen since following the draft around 2005ish. His only downsides are he’s not a + defender yet and he’s skinny. 

Best pure scoring prospect since Durant. 

I think in the last 10 drafts he’s the 4th best prospect

1. AD 2. Zion 3. Cade 4. Green 

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck