Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

The Cavs should have rolled the dice on Porter Jr. I said so at the time and am sticking with it. If I were the Cavs, I'd ship off KLove now/at the deadline and try to get some value for him. I'd then start my tanking NOW, take on some expiring contracts for picks, etc.

Next year I'd do more of the same and try to add some guys in the draft who could contribute.

In 2020, I'd start building with my young core and adding pieces.

By 2021, I'd hope that my young core developed into a couple of stars and could make a run, right about the time that the Warriors/Lakers/Rockets window started to close and the prime Celtics window is wide open.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t want to sound overly negative because LBJ left and such, but the Hawks of a few years ago or perhaps the current Raptors are prolly as good as we can expect to be unless we get extraordinarily lucky in the draft.

FA won’t come here, never have.  Unless we start drafting like OKC did, don’t look for another title contender any time soon.

You're right. I should have said the generic example Atlanta Hawks, they're used as  cautionary tale lol. It was lazy ( or possibly whiskey influenced) take. My point stands that the cavs are really bad this year though haha.

2 minutes ago, Wulfgard said:

You're right. I should have said the generic example Atlanta Hawks, they're used as  cautionary tale lol. It was lazy ( or possibly whiskey influenced) take. My point stands that the cavs are really bad this year though haha.

Whiskey? At 8am?

Not sure if I’m impressed or concerned.

Dan already got tax $$$ for the arena renovation. He also already locked up season tix holders for the next 3 years. He can be a stubborn dude, but he's also intelligent. This is the best time for him to embrace the tank, and take the next 2-3 years to build this team back up. Golden State will be out of their prime hopefully at that point, and we will be trying to build to compete with the Celtics and 76ers teams. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Dan already got tax $$$ for the arena renovation. He also already locked up season tix holders for the next 3 years. He can be a stubborn dude, but he's also intelligent. This is the best time for him to embrace the tank, and take the next 2-3 years to build this team back up. Golden State will be out of their prime hopefully at that point, and we will be trying to build to compete with the Celtics and 76ers teams. 

I agree. Tank next season to get that lotto pick back. Trade Love and maybe TT for future picks and expiring contracts. Build via draft. Keep our cap low then around 2020 when other super teams are struggling to keep their teams together we'll have the cap to sign 1-2 of them then we can make our run again. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

26 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I agree. Tank next season to get that lotto pick back. Trade Love and maybe TT for future picks and expiring contracts. Build via draft. Keep our cap low then around 2020 when other super teams are struggling to keep their teams together we'll have the cap to sign 1-2 of them then we can make our run again. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

“Our run” he says...

Half shocked you’re not a Lakers fan right now...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Cavs are my first team, Lakers now my second team, but mostly I just want to see Golden state burn to the ground

Cavs are my first team and whoever is playing Golden State on any given night are my second team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why does Lue have to go? I actually want to see what he could do when he doesn’t have to dictate the offensive system to Lebron. You look at erik spoelstra, he was considered one of the best young coaches before James went to Miami. During that time he dictated his system to fit Lebron and then everyone said it was Spos fault for the struggles because the team didn’t reach its highest ceiling. Now He is considered one of the better coaches in the league. You could say the same thing about Lue. When he was brought in, he was labeled as one of the best assistant coaches and was getting heavy looks to become a HC. To me it was the reason they let go of Blatt so soon so they could keep him. He had to dictate his system to James. When it would come to a sideline type play or an inbound set, Lue was pretty damn good. Just when it came to in game stuff and handling Lebron, it is tough. Couldn’t take Lebron out cause it would hurt the team so he had to come up with weird rotations to try and change the team up. I would want to see what Lue could do. All the top candidates are already gone, so if you fire him now, you aren’t getting a top tier candidate. I would want to see what Lue could do with this team. 

I already saw what Lue could do with the best basketball player in the world and it wasn’t much. I saw 0 in game adjustments, no half time adjustments, I saw him relying on the old guys far too often. 

I honestly thought they looked like a better team when Larry Drew was coaching them. 

But I have never been a fan of his. The last couple years, Lebron was the star/coach/GM. One thing I’m excited to see is how his larger than life ego/star power unfolds in LA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I already saw what Lue could do with the best basketball player in the world and it wasn’t much. I saw 0 in game adjustments, no half time adjustments, I saw him relying on the old guys far too often. 

I honestly thought they looked like a better team when Larry Drew was coaching them. 

But I have never been a fan of his. The last couple years, Lebron was the star/coach/GM. One thing I’m excited to see is how his larger than life ego/star power unfolds in LA.

Lue wasn’t using Lebron. Lue was dictating around Lebron. 

Like I said, it’s the same exact thing that happen in Miami. Everyone thought Spo was garbage because he lacked these changes, rotations, and adjustment. Now Spo is consider one of the better coaches in the league. Even has made Waiters look like a stud.

Did you not like Lues changes and adjustmets that were big changes in the NBA finals and lead to a title.  His usage of Richardson and TT were huge. What did you want Lue to do when it comes to the game 1 of the playoffs this year?it was yhr first game all year that the roster was 100%? What is Lue suppose to do when there isn’t a capable guard to bring the ball up or who could shoot a jump shot at times?

is Lue perfect? No but we have no idea what truly Lue is. You can’t say you have watched the past 3years. There is a reason since Lebron has came into his own that with 4 coaches (browns Spo Blatt, and Lue) that the offense was iso Lebron. Are you telling me those guys have no idea how to run a pro basketball offense? We talk about how players should be like we are he first ones to think of it , prolly have plenty of guys on staff who come up with those some ideas. A lot easier said than done tho.

You give Lue this season, let him truly run the team because If it fails it allows the Cavs to tank and they could go after a top candidate. Doing it now would be stupid unless they believe they can lure one of the top tier college guys. 

If they do fire Lue now, give me Avery Johnson. He can help Sexton out with his transition to the league

2 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Biggest thing he needs to do is bring in a president to be a legit face of this team. Take power away from Dan and give more say about basketball operations. Cavs need their Reily/Johnson type guy. Maybe give Z a promotion. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Biggest thing he needs to do is bring in a president to be a legit face of this team. Take power away from Dan and give more say about basketball operations. Cavs need their Reily/Johnson type guy. Maybe give Z a promotion. 

Kinda flies in the face of what Gilbert seems to want, if the reports are to be believed.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck