Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Bingo!

I think its more about finding the correct 2-4 'core' pieces than adding the right players around them regardless of age.

Its looks like the Cavs have found theirs in Garland/Mobley/Allen. we will see what happens with Okoro as he grows.

So if you have those 3 + maybe Sexton/Okoro, thats enough young core and they can start focusing on veteran fits. Thats where guys like Rubio/Love come in.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think its more about finding the correct 2-4 'core' pieces than adding the right players around them regardless of age.

Its looks like the Cavs have found theirs in Garland/Mobley/Allen. we will see what happens with Okoro as he grows.

So if you have those 3 + maybe Sexton/Okoro, thats enough young core and they can start focusing on veteran fits. Thats where guys like Rubio/Love come in.

I forgot about okoro. He’s the one young player I wouldn’t care about getting rid of for the right price. Okoro reminds me of shump with better defense. NY thought he’d be a star until he never developed past a certain stage. I’d rather trade okoro while he’s still young and has potential in other teams eyes rather than take the risk that a few years from now he never takes a jump and is nothing more than a defender who can dunk. 

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I forgot about okoro. He’s the one young player I wouldn’t care about getting rid of for the right price. Okoro reminds me of shump with better defense. NY thought he’d be a star until he never developed past a certain stage. I’d rather trade okoro while he’s still young and has potential in other teams eyes rather than take the risk that a few years from now he never takes a jump and is nothing more than a defender who can dunk. 

the problem is....hes not worth anything right now. If the Cavs couldnt get a player + pick for Sexton they sure as hell arnt getting anything for Okoro.

He is 20 years old and has only played in 1.25 seasons. lets give him some time on the offensive end. Everybody knew he was a work in progress on offense when we drafted him, cant be mad when it turns out to be just that. The Cavs drafted him strictly for his defense and he has lived up to that.

He has played really well in the past 3-4 games too and has shot much better. Lets just wait and see instead of throwing top 5 picks to the wolves after 1 year. Everybody wanted Garland traded too after his rookie/sophomore year---look what that turned into by just giving these guys time to grow and get experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Lets just wait and see instead of throwing top 5 picks to the wolves after 1 year. Everybody wanted Garland traded too after his rookie/sophomore year---look what that turned into by just giving these guys time to grow and get experience.

Yeah, I'm all about not selling guys at the low point of their value. Obviously if you can package Okoro, Picks, and Sexton for a guy like Beal then you strongly consider that. But that kind of deal just isn't out there. There's no one looking to move a star, with contract control, who fits our roster, for that kind of package.

We are ahead of our timeline right now. Give all the young guys a year to develop and learn what playing winning ball feels like. Then see what is available to try and make a deep playoff run next year. Maybe at that point Sexton on an extension (depressed $$$ because of injury) or Okoro (taking a step) are the kind of guy that you CAN use to land the last piece to make this a top 3-4 roster in the East.

1 hour ago, FGK said:

Yeah, I'm all about not selling guys at the low point of their value. Obviously if you can package Okoro, Picks, and Sexton for a guy like Beal then you strongly consider that. But that kind of deal just isn't out there. There's no one looking to move a star, with contract control, who fits our roster, for that kind of package.

We are ahead of our timeline right now. Give all the young guys a year to develop and learn what playing winning ball feels like. Then see what is available to try and make a deep playoff run next year. Maybe at that point Sexton on an extension (depressed $$$ because of injury) or Okoro (taking a step) are the kind of guy that you CAN use to land the last piece to make this a top 3-4 roster in the East.

Yeah Im just saying, we all knew Okoro was a work in progross on offense when we drafted him. Why are people suprised that hes not a elite scoring threat 1 year into his career at 20 years old is beyond me. 

He has been billed as advertised so far. He can slash 4-6x per game to the rim and get his bucket and he plays exceptional defense. He is who we signed up to get.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah Im just saying, we all knew Okoro was a work in progross on offense when we drafted him. Why are people suprised that hes not a elite scoring threat 1 year into his career at 20 years old is beyond me. 

He has been billed as advertised so far. He can slash 4-6x per game to the rim and get his bucket and he plays exceptional defense. He is who we signed up to get.

Okoro has never been a scorer. Ever. And I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that’s never going to happen. Him being 20 doesn’t mean anything. It’s extremely rare a player completely turns his game around. He’ll probably improve as a defender and might become a passable catch and shoot corner 3 guy but he’s not going to all of a sudden go from a terrible dribble drive player into a good one. 20 years old or not.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Okoro has never been a scorer. Ever. And I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that’s never going to happen. Him being 20 doesn’t mean anything. It’s extremely rare a player completely turns his game around. He’ll probably improve as a defender and might become a passable catch and shoot corner 3 guy but he’s not going to all of a sudden go from a terrible dribble drive player into a good one. 20 years old or not.

Don't look now but he is starting to score points.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck