Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 12/20/2022 at 3:55 AM, candyman93 said:

The problem is our bigs. They play scared against Giannis.

You need to bring the physicality against him because he’s gonna charge at you 100% all game.

They are the best team in the NBA. So we need to keep some perspective. They would have beat Golden State with a healthy Middleton imo.

Your a genius 

• Like 1

Respect to Okoro. He's been legitimately helpful the last few games. His defense has gotten back up to 2022 levels and he's shooting corner three's with confidence. If his percentages nudge up juuuuuust a bit the rest of season high enough to make defenses respect that shot, that does huge things for our spacing.

Mitchell and Allen went ballistic. I know Giannis' statline is crazy, but Allen was in man mode making him work for all of it and if the refs had been at ALL inclined to call fouls on Giannis he would've fouled out by the middle of the 3rd quarter because Allen was making him go through him all night. Mitchell really picked things up second half after a slow first.

This team is just so fun to watch because you never know who will go off. Maybe tonight is a Garland/Mobley game, then a Mitchell/Allen game, then a Levert random 40 pointer or Cedi going 9/10 for 24 points. So fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FGK said:

I know Giannis' statline is crazy, but Allen was in man mode making him work for all of it and if the refs had been at ALL inclined to call fouls on Giannis he would've fouled out by the middle of the 3rd quarter because Allen was making him go through him all night.

There’s zero chance Giannis would be able to do what he did last night 7 games in a row. He ran through a brick wall all night in Allen.

I just don’t know if Allen has the type of energy to do that 7 games in a row.

He’s gotta also make Giannis work defensively as well.

Edited by candyman93

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s zero chance Giannis would be able to do what he did last night 7 games in a row. He ran through a brick wall all night in Allen.

I just don’t know if Allen has the type of energy to do that 7 games in a row.

He’s gotta also make Giannis work defensively as well.

Giannis is gonna get his, can’t worry about that. Allen needs to bang on him and wear him out.  When he’s tired Mobley and Lopez need to do the same thing. Make him work, make him play both ends and live with what he does offensively.  With Allen and Mobley we have 2 dudes who are at least long enough and athletic enough to make things tougher for him.

Just like with the LBJ Cavs teams though, you can’t let the supporting cast get hot.  No doubling, if he goes off for 60 so be it.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We lost because TJ Warren played out of his mind and our bigs struggled badly 

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This has been the worst game of Jarrett Allen’s career

Yes to both of these. When a team hits like 60% of their threes, I'm just gonna chalk that one up to small sample size and say see ya next time.

If we are looking for positives, we're clearly a top 5 team in the east, and we still have a lot of growth possible as far as everybody fitting together and meshing. And we still have space to make a small move for a shooter, which I think would really open everything up. Okoro/Stevens aren't pulling a man deep into the corner to cover their shooting. Dean wade being out is more impactful than it really should be because of that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Stop ref blaming 

the refs didn’t allow 61% of their 3s to go in 

the refs didn’t have them shoot 95% on free throws 

... The officiating was ish. Doesn't change the other factors. But it also doesn't invalidate that one. It wasn't crap because it was all in Indy's favor. It was crap because it was two totally different games from what got called first half and what got called at the end. I hate inconsistent officiating because having coached I know how it sets up false expectations for the athletes. If you're calling one thing minute 4 of Q1 and another minute 10 of Q3, it makes it hard to know which game you're playing. And "eat your whistle" basketball is a totally different sport than "he fell down, whistle" basketball.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FGK said:

... The officiating was ish. Doesn't change the other factors. But it also doesn't invalidate that one. It wasn't crap because it was all in Indy's favor. It was crap because it was two totally different games from what got called first half and what got called at the end. I hate inconsistent officiating because having coached I know how it sets up false expectations for the athletes. If you're calling one thing minute 4 of Q1 and another minute 10 of Q3, it makes it hard to know which game you're playing. And "eat your whistle" basketball is a totally different sport than "he fell down, whistle" basketball.

The goaltending call by the ref on the far side was a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck