Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 7/2/2023 at 12:19 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Okoro is far and away the best defender on the team. He would be awesome in transition if we didn’t insist on playing in the half court. He is improving. He is young, despite people wanting to crucify a 22 year old.

Okoro is fine & will probably start for us again to provide some semblance of perimeter defense to the team. 

If this past season with the Nuggets winning has taught me anything, is that sticking with your young talent and watching them take their bumps early can/will pay dividends in the future. Sure, in natural Cleveland sports fan fashion the moment anyone has a bad series or loss we should fire and trade everyone--but there is something to be said about patience. Especially in a small market who cant chase top free agents and already spent the last 4 years drafting/developing.

You have the talent, you have to let them go and find useful pieces around them so that everyone can maximize their abilities. Then maybe when this group is 25-27 years old with a few playoff series/losses under their belts to learn from and use to push them more, we will have a hardened true contender--much like the Nuggets this year.

But expecting microwaved success from a group of 22-23 year olds is silly and shortsighted. I like the moves they made with Strus/Niang. It was about as best as they could do with no draft picks and very little tradeable assets without gutting the core players. Eventually the Cavs have to sacrifice some of their #1 ranked defense for more offense and the moves they made can do that. Strus/Niang being proven shooters that can draw the defense out to them and will open up so much more space for the bigs to work. In the NYK series, there was a average of 9ft of space between Okoro shooting 3s and his man--with Strus/Niang teams can no longer do that. That is 1 less man in the paint the bigs have to worry about and 1 less person Garland/Mitchell have to worry about getting past when driving.

I will stick with Okoro for another season as he is the best perimeter defender we have and could work really really well in a reserve role and special defensive packages. Almost like Iman Shumpert was for us. Still have some hope for him that he can figure out his shot a bit more off-dribble. If he can even do a minimal amount, watch out.

What I love about Altman is that he is not out of touch. He sees the same problems fans see watching this team and he always goes out and tackles them in big ways. He did the same thing this year and should be applauded....again. I still dont think hes done either, they have 1 more spot and some cap left. Wonder if he brings in another guy like Oubre for cheap or gets involved in another 3-team deal for some more wing assurance.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

I think the Cavs are done making moves. The only real question is who becomes C #3. It’s gonna be Diop or maybe Mobley, who isn’t s true C. That’s about all we can afford to do right now, which is fine.

I also wouldn’t mind looking into a vet minimum signing of TT. Idk how washed he is, but he is/was (?) an amazing rebounder. 

15 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

If this past season with the Nuggets winning has taught me anything, is that sticking with your young talent and watching them take their bumps early can/will pay dividends in the future. Sure, in natural Cleveland sports fan fashion the moment anyone has a bad series or loss we should fire and trade everyone--but there is something to be said about patience. Especially in a small market who cant chase top free agents and already spent the last 4 years drafting/developing.

You have the talent, you have to let them go and find useful pieces around them so that everyone can maximize their abilities. Then maybe when this group is 25-27 years old with a few playoff series/losses under their belts to learn from and use to push them more, we will have a hardened true contender--much like the Nuggets this year.

But expecting microwaved success from a group of 22-23 year olds is silly and shortsighted. I like the moves they made with Strus/Niang. It was about as best as they could do with no draft picks and very little tradeable assets without gutting the core players. Eventually the Cavs have to sacrifice some of their #1 ranked defense for more offense and the moves they made can do that. Strus/Niang being proven shooters that can draw the defense out to them and will open up so much more space for the bigs to work. In the NYK series, there was a average of 9ft of space between Okoro shooting 3s and his man--with Strus/Niang teams can no longer do that. That is 1 less man in the paint the bigs have to worry about and 1 less person Garland/Mitchell have to worry about getting past when driving.

I will stick with Okoro for another season as he is the best perimeter defender we have and could work really really well in a reserve role and special defensive packages. Almost like Iman Shumpert was for us. Still have some hope for him that he can figure out his shot a bit more off-dribble. If he can even do a minimal amount, watch out.

What I love about Altman is that he is not out of touch. He sees the same problems fans see watching this team and he always goes out and tackles them in big ways. He did the same thing this year and should be applauded....again. I still dont think hes done either, they have 1 more spot and some cap left. Wonder if he brings in another guy like Oubre for cheap or gets involved in another 3-team deal for some more wing assurance.

This is about as well of a thought out analysis on the Cavs current situation that I’ve seen.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:07 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I think the Cavs are done making moves. The only real question is who becomes C #3. It’s gonna be Diop or maybe Mobley, who isn’t s true C. That’s about all we can afford to do right now, which is fine.

I also wouldn’t mind looking into a vet minimum signing of TT. Idk how washed he is, but he is/was (?) an amazing rebounder. 

If TT is even remotely being considered as a back up big, then why not consider someone like Demarcus Cousins who in my opinion is a much better player?  I understand that Cousins has had some attitude issues earlier in his career but I believe he has been humbled recently with his inability to stick with an NBA franchise.  Is he still that much of a pariah that he couldn't be an effective big man off of the bench to give Allen & Mobley a breather?  He has enough of an offensive game to keep defenses from collapsing the paint at all times & as a backup big, he can play enough defense to be serviceable in my opinion.  Is there something about Cousins that I don't know about which makes signing him a bad idea?  Am I the only one who thinks this should be an obvious signing? 

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, cortes02 said:

If TT is even remotely being considered as a back up big, then why not consider someone like Demarcus Cousins who in my opinion is a much better player?  I understand that Cousins has had some attitude issues earlier in his career but I believe he has been humbled recently with his inability to stick with an NBA franchise.  Is he still that much of a pariah that he couldn't be an effective big man off of the bench to give Allen & Mobley a breather?  He has enough of an offensive game to keep defenses from collapsing the paint at all times & as a backup big, he can play enough defense to be serviceable in my opinion.  Is there something about Cousins that I don't know about which makes signing him a bad idea?  Am I the only one who thinks this should be an obvious signing? 

Peace!!!

He wasn’t even in the NBA last year. Idk maybe he’s in shape, but seems unlikely. That was a problem when he WAS an NBA player. 

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

He doesn’t have the heart anymore. If he couldn’t work on GS or Milwaukee 2-3 years ago he’s not going to be worth a damn now. 

53 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Bates has an NBA 3 ball. Love his shooting form. If you can shoot off the dribble too, you’ll have a career as a bench producer.

21 PTS | 4 REB | 2 BLK | 2 STL | 7/11 FG | 5/8 3 PTS

This was by far his best game so far. He looked much more calm and played within the flow of the offense. Some time in the G League is necessary but I think he definitely deserves one of the two-ways and should get some garbage time minutes this year. 

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Bates has an NBA 3 ball. Love his shooting form. If you can shoot off the dribble too, you’ll have a career as a bench producer.

21 PTS | 4 REB | 2 BLK | 2 STL | 7/11 FG | 5/8 3 PTS

Summer league is useless. Guards just chuck up shots, don’t pass and don’t play defense. Remember the Jordan McRae years… don’t get excited about summer league. It’s about as useful as a street ball game. 

Bates shooting form seems a bit weird, kind of a hitchy shoot with weird foot placement, but his release is very quick which makes a huge difference in NBA spacing. I'm curious how it shakes out, typically guys with weirder form tend to be streaky hot/cold guys. But he seems to have a bag. Love the pick for a late second rounder. Hes got more basketball skills than most guys in that range. 

• Like 1