Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not going to list them for all the teams but the rest of the league has just as many questions about their team.  

Oh and calling Kmet a bust after being top 10 for TEs in catches and yards last year is a joke, this is an example of Bears fans not understanding what they have.  They point to the TD #s and call him a bust.  He is already one of the better TEs in the league entering his 3rd year.  He's not Kelce or Kittle, but that is a stupid standard to hold.  

still only 22 years old too

More fun...

These are combined averages of all top-3 WRs and then ranked (RK) individually by each category.

If we take this at face value then this about where each team would rank.

9 Teams are starting a rookie with zero stats so it skews the numbers a bit.

(ATL, CLE, DAL, IND, NO, NYJ, PIT, TEN, WAS)

averages.png

48 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

They're low because our WRs are among the worst in the league.

Maybe they are also low because they are unproven who had superstars ahead of them. Currently no one knows if they are the worst in the league, the only fact is that we don’t know until the games play out. 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Nobody called Kmet a bust. Your not even reading.

And no, you are wrong.  He was not top 10 in catches and yards.  He finished 13th in catches, 12th in yards, and was one of about 80 TEs who had ZERO TDs. 

https://stathead.com/tiny/YpdTQ

Sure, he could break out but until then he's Ben Troupe, Will Tye, and Coby Fleener after 2 years --without the TDs. 

Ben Troupe:  29 Games, 134 targets, 88 catches, 859 yards, 9.8 Y/R, 5TDs, 65.7 catch %
Cole Kmet:  33 Games, 137 targets, 88 catches, 855 yards, 9.7 Y/R, 2TDs, 64.2 catch %
Will Tye:  29 games, 132 targets, 90 catches, 859 yards, 9.5 Y/R, 4TDs, 68.2 catch %

I fully understand what they have and it's not good.  No matter how much you wanna believe it.

OK 12th and 13th, which last time I checked is above average, and your claim is that if he doesn't have a breakout year that he's a "bust who needs replaced", your words not mine.  Let's say the catches and yards line remains (I expect them both to go up as the #2 option, but nonetheless, we'll say he holds serve) and he adds 4 TDs, does that magically make him better and no longer a bust?

I am not claiming they have world beaters, I'm claiming they have league avg talent.  I know what they have no matter what YOU want to believe.  ;)

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I wanted to see how our top 3 WRs compared with the rest of the league so I scraped the top 3 WR names from each depth chart from ourlads website and then used those names in PFR to pull each players combined production over the last 3 years. It was a bit messy and I'm not entirely sure it worked but I checked a few manually while cleaning it up and it appears that it did. I could run it again but I have no desire to spend any more time on it tho.

Anyhow, here are the results

The Bears WRs (Mooney, St James, Pringle) have a combined total of 34 starts which is 29th lowest in the league. They have a combined total of 361 targets which is 28th lowest in the league. They have 225 receptions which is 28th lowest in the league. They have combined total of 2,799 reception yards which is 28th. They have 16 rec TDs which is tied for 26th with TEN and NYJ.  The average yards per reception is 12.9 which is 12th in the league (clearly they wanted burners for Fields). 

Feel free to look at the data here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WHirRg09xuVjIFABat2tuwfYD8hFdvV7/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=104588794788300057597&rtpof=true&sd=true

17 individual WRs have more yards in the last 3 years than the Bears top-3 combined.  16 for TDs. 12 for Receptions.

I fully acknowledge that our WR room is in need of more talent, fortunately for us, there are more members of a football team besides WR.  Where does our DL rank, where does our LB corps rank, where do our RBs rank, where does our secondary rank.  If your argument is our WR room is bottom 5 in the NFL, I might pick some nits on that statement but I don't think that's an outlandish claim.  But to say the ROSTER OVERALL is bottom 5, that I take exception to.

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

OK 12th and 13th, which last time I checked is above average, and your claim is that if he doesn't have a breakout year that he's a "bust who needs replaced", your words not mine.  Let's say the catches and yards line remains (I expect them both to go up as the #2 option, but nonetheless, we'll say he holds serve) and he adds 4 TDs, does that magically make him better and no longer a bust?

I am not claiming they have world beaters, I'm claiming they have league avg talent.  I know what they have no matter what YOU want to believe.  ;)

It would show he's a capable red zone threat and he improved-- at least in that facet of the game anyhow.

I'm not worried about Kmet but he still has a lot to prove. I've read this book before.

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It would show he's a capable red zone threat and he improved-- at least in that facet of the game anyhow.

I'm not worried about Kmet but he still has a lot to prove. I've read this book before.

I'm not saying he doesn't have anything to prove, of course he does he's a 3rd year player.  But I can't come up with any way, as a 2nd round pick, unless he just falls off the cliff this year and next, he could be considered a bust.  2nd round picks should be guys who develop into solid starters.  That's what he's been.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

@JAF-N72EX

In the subject of a redzone threat, look up the # of times Kmet was taken off the field in the redzone.  It's criminal.

Oh I know. Believe I'm aware of Nagy's play-calling. There were also times when Kmet was open in the end zone and Fields either didn't see him &/or he wasn't his first read.  There were also a couple times Kmet dropped the ball in the end zone too.