Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, G08 said:

No offense but I don't really care what others have told you.

I have always hated holdouts, and now this MF'er has done it twice in a 4 year career.

Agree, trade him and Quinn. Load up more picks for next year.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

No offense but I don't really care what others have told you.

I have always hated holdouts, and now this MF'er has done it twice in a 4 year career.

Personally I have no issues with holdouts until we see the contact terms offered/signed…when you consider how much each NFL franchise generates in profit year after year compared to what the salary cap is it is clear to understand why the players…and ultimately the guys making the franchises and their owners this money…feel they should be paid accordingly…now if it comes out Roquan wants paid $25 million a season then yeah I am against him holding out and think he needs to get way more realistic…that said if Poles is trying to offer him $15 million a season then he is well within his rights to hold out…careers are real short and can be over with one hit…these guys should be allowed to set themselves up for life if their skills warrant it and I don’t think anyone could disagree that Roquan’s do.

• Like 1

I think that the more time passes, the more that I like the approach that this regime is taking.

Priority number one should always be to build the team through the draft. However, you have to be able to identify when any player, draft pick or otherwise, is not ready to be a starter, and pivot to another plan. Too often we saw the Nagy regime refuse to pivot, and the result was trotting out Sam Mustipher or the corpse of Kyle Long for far too long. These vet OL signings over the last couple of days give me a lot of hope that given enough time, this regime can put a winning product on the field without having to make desperation moves.

• Like 1

I wonder where the confidence level is in both Jenkins & Borom is right now? Jones played more snaps than any of us expected at LT in OTC…Rieff  is a far better RT than LT so could be slated for that spot…the biggest takeaway is we are going to have a ton of competition up front and I would expect to see changes in season as well as in TC…best players win.

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I wonder where the confidence level is in both Jenkins & Borom is right now? Jones played more snaps than any of us expected at LT in OTC…Rieff  is a far better RT than LT so could be slated for that spot…the biggest takeaway is we are going to have a ton of competition up front and I would expect to see changes in season as well as in TC…best players win.

This can only be a good thing and will result in the best product being put on the field. I'm excited to see Fields behind the best OL we can field.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, dll2000 said:

The season will go as the Oline goes I think.  Really hard to make an offense work with a bad O line.

On other hand if Bears somehow did cobble together a decent starting O line with 2-3 spots filled by first and second year players many of whom are mid to low round draft picks that will be an impressive feat.

I mean we lost Peters, Daniels and Ifedi who were the primary starters at LT, RG and RT when healthy and we seem to feel like we may be better this season.  

We are replacing them with at last look:    Jones, Mustipher and Borom.  That doesn't look better on paper and our Oline was pretty awful last year.    

Now it isn't that simple because of a new coach and new scheme.   And while Peters was pretty good for long stretches, he also had major lapses while he played himself into shape coming off a boat in August and battled his age.  

Add in that Daniels missed a lot of blocks and assignments and Ifedi probably had his worst year as a Bear.  And Borom was playing better than Ifedi was playing earlier by end of season.  

I am pretty good with Borom at RT if it shakes out that way.

That leaves my primary concerns with LT and RG.   I think Whitehair and Patrick will be okay.  Whitehair is a bit concerning because he seems to be regressing of late, but he is a talented football player who should be in his prime.   Lets pencil him in for a bounce back year.   Patrick should at least be an upgrade on Mustipher.  

I don't think coaches believe Jenkins or Borom can play LT and I am not sure if Jenkins is better than Borom at RT.   I think we have to hope Braxton Jones is a revelation at LT and Jenkins slides into RG because Mustipher as starting our starting RG is a disaster in waiting.   Mustipher should be our back up center.  He is good enough for that role.  

That leaves us basically zero quality depth at the tackle and guard positions - which I guess due to scarcity many teams have that same problem.  We would have to stay remarkably healthy.  

You think Poles reads me?  LOL

Now we have serviceable vets with starting experience at LT and RG the line spots can play itself it out through competition without a feeling of likely impending doom for Fields.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Exactly. The Schofield move raised the OL floor somewhat. The Reiff move raises it significantly more. If Jenkins ends up not a starter at OT the Reiff signing gives them far more flexibility to kick him inside to RG too.

With that said, I still expect Jenkins to start at RT. Football in pads should be where he thrives far more than in shorts. 

• Like 1