Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tough call for a newbie.  I know what Poles is thinking:

I don’t want to pay an ILB big money.

If that's what he's thinking then he's an idiot. Plus, Roquan will most likely play Will spot in Eberflus' defense just like Darius Leonard who got a 5/98 deal.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I wouldn’t either TBH.  I have always said DL makes LBs

Your entitled to your opinion but it's very weird to hear a Bears fan say this. I strongly disagree and I'm sure Urlacher, Lewis, Briggs, Seau, Singletary, Willis, all disagree as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Oh look, Roquan is holding out again.

First time was because he didn't like certain language, he finally got his way and now he's refusing to honor the 5th year of the deal he agreed to?

Absolute garbage IMO. This is how you want to start off with a new regime? GTFO.

I've been told numerous times all offseason to "wait and see before judging Poles" but now we're judging players in order to defend Poles and that's okay. Lmao. This fan base cracks me the **** up.

Maybe, Poles is low-balling him? Just like his 2nd round pick?

• Like 2

I don't want to be too reactionary but:

• Bears seem very focused on the stadium relocation
  • They refuse to disclose the contract terms for Poles and Eberflus
  • The team rid itself of most long-term financial commitments and had a very quiet FA
  • They appear to be far apart in negotiations with their best player

The Bears are clearly positioning themselves to be sold in the next 3-5 years. Is it possible that Poles' job is to babysit the team under a very strict set of financial conditions?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't want to be too reactionary but:

• Bears seem very focused on the stadium relocation
  • They refuse to disclose the contract terms for Poles and Eberflus
  • The team rid itself of most long-term financial commitments and had a very quiet FA
  • They appear to be far apart in negotiations with their best player

The Bears are clearly positioning themselves to be sold in the next 3-5 years. Is it possible that Poles' job is to babysit the team under a very strict set of financial conditions?

With the McCaskey's, nothing is impossible at this point. That much we've learned.

All kidding aside though, you bring up a very interesting idea and one I never even thought of, abstract.  Before I would've said that I don't see the McCaskey's ever selling the team. Not a chance in hell. But now that you put it that way, you got me thinking.

I don't think they sell the team while Virginia is still alive. But after she passes? I'm not so sure. I think at the very least they listen to offers. Virginia is what....95 or something. She's not going to be around when the Arlington stadium is finished in ~11 years, so the timeline you drew out makes sense there too. Everything will be left to the kids and clearly none of them really care about this team's success. They care about money. And Chicago would be a VERY hot item on the market for investors. Oldest team in football. Top-5 largest market. One of the strongest fan bases. New stadium to accommodate said fans. New stadium leg work and down payment already done and put in place so that they don't have too. They would literally be walking into a brand new stadium with a brand new look for one of the historic teams in the NFL.

Also, see quotes below.  What lightfoot was quoted in saying makes it sounds like some investors have already pitched the idea to the McCaskey's in the past about buying the team AND moving them (St. Louis maybe?). So maybe they're strongly considering selling the team but want to make sure it stays in Chicago. This could also just be me reading into too much but it sounds pretty clear IMO. 

As Chicago looks to keep the Bears playing at Soldier Field, with the team currently considering a new stadium outside the city, Mayor Lori Lightfoot has unveiled three potential renovation plans for the iconic stadium, including expanded seat options and the possible addition of a dome.

"Not surprisingly, we are doing what we believe is making a compelling case for the Chicago Bears to stay in Chicago. They want a tier one stadium environment to maximize revenues, and we agree that we are going to keep making the case to the Bears, the NFL and public that a revitalized Soldier Field makes the most economic sense for that storied franchise," Lightfoot said during an address Monday.

Lightfoot said that while the renovations will benefit the historic venue, regardless of the team's decision to stay or go, it could save the team more than $1 billion when compared to the cost of building a new stadium.

"What's also important Soldier Field remains a highly desired venue by many other sports activities, music and more," she said. "It's important to note that each of these scenarios will allow us to continue benefitting from Soldier Field regardless of whether or not the Bears choose to stay or go - and of course we hope that they choose to stay. But should Bears choose to stay in our city, Soldier Field will be a top 10 tier stadium with a number of new features. But should they choose to leave, Soldier Field will continue to be a premier multipurpose venue that is able to host an array of important and exciting events."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He might be lowballing Roquan, which is a big mistake if true IMO (see - not all koolaid 😂), but how exactly does he lowball a guy in a salary-slotted position? 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He might be lowballing Roquan, which is a big mistake if true IMO (see - not all koolaid 😂), but how exactly does he lowball a guy in a salary-slotted position? 

What do you mean? Are you talking about Brisker? I already stated what their beef may be about. And yes, the GTD money can still be low-balled. 

Read here a few pages back. I didn't get into the every possible contract regarding GTD money because that would take me a long time to explain, but I did explain how the 3(well 4) elements of GTD are put into contracts and any of those 4 can be placed or not placed into the GTD money.

We don't know all the details. Which means we can't still rule out the possibility that the issue is much more simpler than my suggestion either and that Poles is literally just not willing pay him an extra 1-2M dollars. Which is foolish.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What do you mean? Are you talking about Brisker? I already stated what their beef may be about. And yes, the GTD money can still be low-balled. 

Read here a few pages back. I didn't get into the every possible contract regarding GTD money because that would take me a long time to explain, but I did explain how the 3(well 4) elements of GTD are put into contracts and any of those 4 can be placed or not placed into the GTD money.

We don't know all the details. Which means we can't still rule out the possibility that the issue is much more simpler than my suggestion either and that Poles is literally just not willing pay him an extra 1-2M dollars. Which is foolish.

I understood your post from a few pages back. I am under the impression that how much fully guaranteed money gets paid to a player is set by slot when it comes to rookie deals. Lowballing implies to me an offer less than that in full guarantees, and I’m not sure they could do that even if they wanted to per the CBA. Regardless, whether it’s payout structure, additional conditional guarantees, offset language, or anything else, we agree 100% that it’s a dumb thing to squabble over from the team side (if that’s what was happening), especially on a non-1st round contract. If you drafted the right guy he’s gonna get that money anyway. 

Whatever the issue was, it’s resolved now anyway so it doesn’t really matter any more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If that's what he's thinking then he's an idiot. Plus, Roquan will most likely play Will spot in Eberflus' defense just like Darius Leonard who got a 5/98 deal.

Your entitled to your opinion but it's very weird to hear a Bears fan say this. I strongly disagree and I'm sure Urlacher, Lewis, Briggs, Seau, Singletary, Willis, all disagree as well.

Roquan has not had same impact as Leonard to date.  Singletary could not play in todays league because he can’t cover well enough or play in space.    He is designed to take on ISOs and play between tackles mostly.   Rest of guys were special athletes and Briggs and Lewis were just uniquely instinctive.

I am just saying at NFL level the lines are more important, just like Oline is more important than RBs.  Doesn’t mean there aren’t great RBs and LBs.   

Bears can afford it in short term so they should do it.  Why not?  Unless they have plans for huge spending next season.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I understood your post from a few pages back. I am under the impression that how much fully guaranteed money gets paid to a player is set by slot when it comes to rookie deals. Lowballing implies to me an offer less than that in full guarantees, and I’m not sure they could do that even if they wanted to per the CBA. Regardless, whether it’s payout structure, additional conditional guarantees, offset language, or anything else, we agree 100% that it’s a dumb thing to squabble over from the team side (if that’s what was happening), especially on a non-1st round contract. If you drafted the right guy he’s gonna get that money anyway. 

Whatever the issue was, it’s resolved now anyway so it doesn’t really matter any more.

Poles needed a win with Roquan thing and national media attacking Bears offseason.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Oh look, Roquan is holding out again.

First time was because he didn't like certain language, he finally got his way and now he's refusing to honor the 5th year of the deal he agreed to?

Absolute garbage IMO. This is how you want to start off with a new regime? GTFO.

Respectfully, I disagree with this take on the situation. Contracts are not guaranteed for the most part so a club can cut a player whenever they like. This is viewed as business as usual. A player should be able to renegotiate his deal because of this. Clubs don't "honor" deals all the time. Guarantee contracts and then I would side with this perspective.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Respectfully, I disagree with this take on the situation. Contracts are not guaranteed for the most part so a club can cut a player whenever they like. This is viewed as business as usual. A player should be able to renegotiate his deal because of this. Clubs don't "honor" deals all the time. Guarantee contracts and then I would side with this perspective.

Agree with this. Rookies in year 5 typically expect an extension. Roquan is 1 training camp injury away from losing millions.

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've been told numerous times all offseason to "wait and see before judging Poles" but now we're judging players in order to defend Poles and that's okay. Lmao. This fan base cracks me the **** up.

No offense but I don't really care what others have told you.

I have always hated holdouts, and now this MF'er has done it twice in a 4 year career.

45 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Agree to disagree here.

Nobody held a gun to Roquan's head when he finally signed his rookie deal, a deal which included a 5th round option for the franchise.

I will never fault a player for trying to get more money, I will also never fault a team for trying to be stringent with the money. My hope is that they can come to an agreement, if not oh well life will move on and it doesn't affect me at all.

I just wish I could ask for more money at work, about all I can do is just stop doing the amount of work.