Week 10 GDT - Skins @ Saints - Sunday at 1pm EST on Fox!

Dome

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

All that the sky is falling talk was a hilarious read in this thread

The great comeback doesn't erase the mistakes we made leading up to that. It just so happens they started doing everything they should have been doing the whole game, in the last five minutes. We can't afford to dig ourselves into a hole like that next week or in the playoffs. But whatever, we won, and it was great, because it's not about how you start, it's how you finish!

1 minute ago, NS922 said:

The great comeback doesn't erase the mistakes we made leading up to that. It just so happens they started doing everything they should have been doing the whole game, in the last five minutes. We can't afford to dig ourselves into a hole like that next week or in the playoffs. But whatever, we won, and it was great, because it's not about how you start, it's how you finish!

It was the panic that was hilarious. For a team that has played so well.

39 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

was at the Rams game in '09 when Bulger and crew almost came back to win.

Ewwwwwww Bulger. My dad once made the joke one time that the Rams needed to invest in a better interception return coverage unit if Bulger was your QB. 

26 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

FYI the Redskins had a 99.7% chance to win that game at the stat's highest point.

99.7% chance. 997 out of 1,000 times we lose that game. We won.

lol we legit

If that’s ESPN, Those stats are crap and only designed to keep people excited for comebacks. I’ve seen a two score game in the 3rd quarter with high 90% for the team with the lead

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Ewwwwwww Bulger. My dad once made the joke one time that the Rams needed to invest in a better interception return coverage unit if Bulger was your QB. 

If that’s ESPN, Those stats are crap and only designed to keep people excited for comebacks. I’ve seen a two score game in the 3rd quarter with high 90% for the team with the lead

Not sure what it is, just got it off of Reddit.

I agree that they're crap but fun to look at nonetheless lol.

16 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

This forum has some serious PTSD from the 7-9 seasons. I think a lot of guys can't believe that we may actually have a good team again lol. 

I still have my doubts. I've been watching since the late 80s. I've seen a lot of suck. And I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop again right nowxD

I don’t think it was panic or “sky is falling” as much as people realizing their fears were coming true, this team has a VERY good but VERY thin defense and coming out flat they look no better than years past.

Most of what I’m rereading in this thread makes sense considering the context of the game at the time. 

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Sunday marked the first time in Saints history that they won a game after trailing by 14-plus points at any point in the fourth quarter (much less with three minutes remaining).

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Those stats are probably close.  How many teams have been down 14 points in the last three minutes and won the game?  

11 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Those stats are probably close.  How many teams have been down 14 points in the last three minutes and won the game?  

Down 14 with 3 minutes is very different than down 14 in the 3rd. 

16 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Down 14 with 3 minutes is very different than down 14 in the 3rd. 

I'm talking about the stats Spartica quoted.  

Also, how many teams come back down 14 in the third?  Yea it happens, but if 90% was the quoted value, that doesn't seem too crazy either.  That's 1 out of ten games a team wins down by 14 in the third.

In any case, I'm not saying any of the stats are correct, I have no idea.  But I know what we did today is pretty rare.  Down 15 actually, which is even worse than 14 due to needing a two point conversion.

6 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'm talking about the stats Spartica quoted.  

Also, how many teams come back down 14 in the third?  Yea it happens, but if 90% was the quoted value, that doesn't seem too crazy either.  That's 1 out of ten games a team wins down by 14 in the third.

In any case, I'm not saying any of the stats are correct, I have no idea.  But I know what we did today is pretty rare.  Down 15 actually, which is even worse than 14 due to needing a two point conversion.

What we did today is definitely rare. First time we’ve ever done it, to be certain.

I just don’t like most ESPN stats, they’re all skewed to favor exciting football (like their QBR rating is atrocious). 

Up 14 in the third doesn’t seem that crazy to come back from, certainly not crazy enough have the win percentage in the high 90s as if it was the same (or very similar) as being down 15 with 3 minutes to play.

I think they make the percentages higher to make games seem “rare” when they get closer in the 4th. IMO trying to put a percentage on it at all is a asinine. There are far to many variables in football for a type of measurement like that.

That said, with 4 minutes left I put the phone in my pocket and clocked in early from my lunch break. I didn’t even give us the 0.3% chance ESPN did.

Archived