What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

55 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m fine with “body positivity” to a degree, but we have gone so far the other way as to where we actively embrace unhealthy lifestyles and seemingly have to say “wow, he/she is so attractive!” that it’s nonsense to me. That goes for people like Lizzo and what she wears to how I see people wearing things completely inappropriate or age inappropriate. Potentially unpopular thought here…

I think it's fine to have the opinion that you don't find someone attractive for whatever reason but sharing that opinion unprompted is really creepy. For example, and at the risk of getting political, Jordan Peterson commenting on that SI cover was incredibly creepy. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I think it's fine to have the opinion that you don't find someone attractive for whatever reason but sharing that opinion unprompted is really creepy. For example, and at the risk of getting political, Jordan Peterson commenting that SI cover was incredibly creepy. 

Yeah, you don’t have to like it, but keep your opinion on certain instances to yourself.

If you don’t have something nice to say…

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I think it's fine to have the opinion that you don't find someone attractive for whatever reason but sharing that opinion unprompted is really creepy. For example, and at the risk of getting political, Jordan Peterson commenting that SI cover was incredibly creepy. 

One interesting thing about body positivity will be how changing metabolic science changes that conversation over time. More and more, A1C is becoming the go-to metric over BMI. I expect that to continue to change.

Right now, somewhere around 1:10 people with Type 2 diabetes have normal BMI. And those people tend to be very sick.

There are also somewhere around 30 million Americans who are overweight/obese but with no Type 2 Diabetes or pre-Type 2 Diabetes. Those people tend to not be very sick.

I find the existence of those 2 populations very difficult to reconcile with the notion that BMI is the root cause of health issues, and not just a symptom of something else. So are we focusing on fat because it's loosely associated with health, or because we derive self-worth from appearance?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One interesting thing about body positivity will be how changing metabolic science changes that conversation over time. More and more, A1C is becoming the go-to metric over BMI. I expect that to continue to change.

Right now, somewhere around 1:10 people with Type 2 diabetes have normal BMI. And those people tend to be very sick.

There are also somewhere around 30 million Americans who are overweight/obese but with no Type 2 Diabetes or pre-Type 2 Diabetes. Those people tend to not be very sick.

I find the existence of those 2 populations very difficult to reconcile with the notion that BMI is the root cause of health issues, and not just a symptom of something else. So are we focusing on fat because it's loosely associated with health, or because we derive self-worth from appearance?

I (in a non creepy way) shared an article with my wife, who is coming off of 3 child births and regularly lifts and is about to run a half marathon, about the number on the scale not always being a true indicator. A fitness model (oh I know this was a dangerous move) showed a side by side of her at 110 and her at 140. Guess which picture was healthier and “more attractive”…

I just checked my work email and thought of about 3 immediately.

The guy who puts “Important” in every mass email title.

The “reply all” coworkers.

The “write an essay” with 5 different fonts, highlighting, and bolded texts guy.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I (in a non creepy way) shared an article with my wife, who is coming off of 3 child births and regularly lifts and is about to run a half marathon, about the number on the scale not always being a true indicator. A fitness model (oh I know this was a dangerous move) showed a side by side of her at 110 and her at 140. Guess which picture was healthier and “more attractive”…

I get where you're coming from, because it's clearly true that there are positive associations between losing weight and health. But down the line the "I just want you to be healthy" crowd who operate in bad faith are going to have a tougher and tougher time presenting that sincerely the more BMI loses out to A1C.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get where you're coming from, because it's clearly true that there are positive associations between losing weight and health. But down the line the "I just want you to be healthy" crowd who operate in bad faith are going to have a tougher and tougher time presenting that sincerely the more BMI loses out to A1C.

IMO the fitness industry is the biggest scam ever. Hey dopey, just 20 minutes a day and you can look like this Greek god who spends 4 hours a day at the gym, eats 8,000 pure calories with quadruple the budget you have for your entire family of five, or this superwoman who does the same plus clearly got a boob job and maybe even a butt lift. Just subscribe here for X a month or for a few dozen small monthly upgrades, get the premium account. Please ignore the facts that these people have personal chiefs and Nannie’s to help them out.

The closest thing to honesty I’ve seen in that industry in 15 years was P90X who basically said “This is a 6 day a week program with Day 7 as yoga/stretching at 1 hour a pop plus you should follow this diet plan, and in 90 days you’ll see major results, but if you are pretty unhealthy it will be 180-270 days…and it’s hard.”

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

you get 1 accidental reply all.

if you do it again, your email privileges get suspended and you have to had write all replies for a week.

That’s not even a draconian punishment either, that’s completely reasonable.

I am trying to think of an appropriate punishment for “IMPORTANT” email guy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

you get 1 accidental reply all.

if you do it again, your email privileges get suspended and you have to had write all replies for a week.

I can forgive an accidental reply all.

It is the 40 other people that ALSO reply all asking to be taken off the chain

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The guy who puts “Important” in every mass email title.

Semi-guilty of this. I’ll sometimes use “PLEASE RESPOND” or “FEEDBACK REQUIRED” too, but it’s not every title, y’know?

It’s used when I need people to get off their TikTok and start carrying this load for me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:
52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The “write an essay” with 5 different fonts, highlighting, and bolded texts guy.

This is me.

Was gonna say "dude this website comes with a tag feature". Just call me out. And I wouldn't have to write books if people would do the base level of background before asking questions. 

• Like 2