1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I won't try to understand the value of QB's in today's NFL. Makes zero sense to me.

If you are a current starter and negotiating a contract, apparently you get to become the next highest paid, no matter where you land on the talent scale. See Prescott, Murray.

If you are traded, your value is garbage. See Baker Mayfield (too lazy to remember others)

So if we sign Love it will cost 400 kabiilion dollars, but if we trade him, we can get a conditional 7th ....apparently

This is how markets work. It isnt unique to the qb position. Most recent guy signed in the top tier gets the biggest deal.

Also Kirk cousins had to chance it for a year at FA where he could leverage teams against each other. Winston leveraged carolina against cleveland. 

Lamar jackson is not getting a top offer because he doesnt have the leverage yet. If he makes it to next year he will break the record 

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

My initial concept of a contract would have a few void years on it.  Love get more $$ up front and a leverage piece if he wants to move on.  GB gets flexibility to spead some cap over longer time

5/5/5/1.5/1.5 with a player voidable option 3 years in and 12 in of it in signing bonus seems like a bad investment by the packers in rodgers prime and  major loss of career earning potential and prestige by love to me. Hard to make it work for both sides. Rodgers may well play 1 to 5 more years - no one knows. 

Edited by HokieHigh

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Winston got a $1.1M deal with Saints

Mariota got a 2 year $17.6M with Raiders. 

Both had 3+ years of NFL starting experience (50+ games).

Love can desire to play sooner, but I would be shocked if he got offered more than 5 years $30M

Those guys have proven warts. They're not 23 years old and grading out better than the entire 2022 QB draft class. Again, all it takes it one. We already have a pretty good idea that Atlanta made a run at trading for him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Randall Cobb had 375 yards last year, never had a 100 yard game and averaged 32 yards per game. Why are you saying that you were wrong?

And while I agree with your assertion in the last paragraph, why do you feel differently about Cobb and Amari in that setup?

Cobbs only effective route is a deep in or out from the slot. He was clutch in his read/react opportunities but it is probably so easy to scheme against unless executed with perfection

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Doesn't matter as Cobb isn't going anywhere. The only guy of relevance that Rodgers hasn't given a shout out to is Amari. Yet he is likely to stick as a punt returner only. 

yea that is why i have not really brought it up lol. its not about evaluation of talent and potential. healthy cobb retiring is the only way he is not on the roster this year

Edited by HokieHigh

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Randall Cobb had 375 yards last year, never had a 100 yard game and averaged 32 yards per game. Why are you saying that you were wrong?

And while I agree with your assertion in the last paragraph, why do you feel differently about Cobb and Amari in that setup?

28 catches on 39 targets is pretty solid  , 13.4 ypc is good, 5 TDs in 11 games. 

Im not saying he’s an all pro, but I thought he played well with his opportunities.

Personally, I would much rather have Watkins, Lazard and Doubbs out there for most snaps. I think Doubbs is worth the mistakes he’s going to make. 

I feel differently about Cobb and Amari because Amari is more than likely in ARs doghouse and Cobb is in his ‘ inner circle ‘ . 

We know how stubborn he is with that stuff, and unless Amari is like wide open, I don’t see Aaron throwing throwing him the ball. 

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And what if Rodgers does exactly what Brady just did? Decides to dictate his own terms and desire to keep playing. And still clearly better than Love as the 2024 season wraps up? Do you try and force Rodgers out?

It depends.  On the eval of Love’s play and potential by the front office… On the compensation that could be had via trade… These are factors that we aren’t privy to, but would heavily influence the decision.  

One thing that people need to understand about the Love situation is that despite his talk about retiring Aaron Rodgers is not walking away from $50 mill in 2023, and another $50 mill in 2024, he's going to be here.  

Rodgers could be half dead and comatose, he's showing up for his NFL record money. 

I find the retirement talk laughable.

Jordan Love needs to plan accordingly.  I dont see the Packers investing 20 mill to keep Love his 5th year.  

The ball will be in Loves court to stay and wait or move on.

Edited by NFLGURU

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

My initial concept of a contract would have a few void years on it.  Love get more $$ up front and a leverage piece if he wants to move on.  GB gets flexibility to spead some cap over longer time

Since when did void years start to be OK ? 

Last couple of years should have been exceptional circumstances. We really don't want to go down the route of these things being standard part of contracts.  Let me guess, we restructure it every year to release more cap space so when we eventually decide he isn't the guy we have 40m dead cap or something.

How do void years give Love leverage ?  All they do is backload a load of dead cap when the player leaves making it less attractive for the franchise to let go of the players, they end up having to keep restructuring to avoid taking the dead cap because it costs more to release the guy than to sign him. 

Edited by mikemike778

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

All it takes is one team and Love desiring to play sooner rather than later. That's not far-fetched at all.

Well kind of.  We had no trade offers worth a damn in the offseason.  If we had he'd be gone.  Pretty much shows what the rest of the NFL thinks of him. He's shown some improvement so far this season but far from a sure thing.  He's playing preseason games.  Do you think he's shown enough yet to warrant a team signing him to a large contract?  

As I said earlier if Rodgers goes down and he balls out it will be a different story.  So far he hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant another team gambling on him.  Also really don't think anyone on this board has any real confidence in him either.  He's young and developing is about the most anyone can say. 

A couple of decent series in the preseason isn't going to move the needle that much.  I'm sure Love wants to start.  Doesn't mean any team will just give him that opportunity.  Stand by my statement as of right now he's looking at a low level contract with a chance to compete for a starting gig that's about it. 

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

Doesn't matter as Cobb isn't going anywhere. The only guy of relevance that Rodgers hasn't given a shout out to is Amari. Yet he is likely to stick as a punt returner only. 

He's worse as a punt returner than WR and that is not a compliment to his receiving ability. More pointed, his ability to be in the right place and read what the defense is trying to do to him. 

Again, way too much time being spent on the last WR on the roster, but who tells Winfree he was beat out by Rodgers with a straight face?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Well kind of.  We had no trade offers worth a damn in the offseason.  If we had he'd be gone.  

I think you had to wait and see what he brought this summer.  I'm still not ready to throw him out.  If he wants to stay and compete, let him.  A guy like that you want to be sure theres no Kurt Warner story in the future where you cut him and he ends up in the frickin HOF.  

Keep him and see where he takes it until you absolutely have to trade him or let him become a FA. JMO

Edited by NFLGURU